Wearing and then returning?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Anna Blush • Mar 6, 2013.

1. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I have had situations in the past where I would buy an expensive dress so that I can just wear it for one night and then I would do that (haha).
    I really was not in the financial situation to just splurge on a dress that I would wear once so I completely justified doing this.
    It just made sense to me.
    Have you ever bought something so you could only wear it for one night and then you would return it?
    What are your thoughts on doing this?

2. thelovelyone0

thelovelyone0Banned

Threads:
    No, I have never done but that is actually a great idea.;) In the past, I have bought countless of outfits and dresses, and I have only worn them once. Had I had thought to wear it once then return it then I wouldn't have lost any money. I think I will do that the next time I attend an event, and want to wear something amazing. I'm sure there are a lot people that do this, and it's kind of wrong in a way but no one wants to spend a lot of money on class when they have other financial obligations.

3. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Guilty I have done this once or twice before i'd wear it than realize I probably won't wear it again so I take it back lol I don't see nothing wrong with it honestly it's not like it's stealing.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I have never done it. I used to work retail and I saw women who did this type of thing all the time. I never want to be that person.

5. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    No, I have never done that nor will I do it. This somehow goes against my values and I would feel really guilty for a long time about it.
    I have heard my friend who runs a spa cum boutique complain about it all the time. She often tells me that when customer have doubts that a dress has been worn before, they never buy it, this is actually a loss to her or she will have to sell it at a discounted price.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No I have never done that. I don't really like borrowing stuff, I prefer to buy my own stuff whether it's clothes, shoes, etc. So if an item is quite expensive then I will just take my sweet time in saving up for it rather than borrowing it.

7. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I have done this for my daughter because it was to expensive and I knew she would only get one use out of that gown for that event. So I don't see anything wrong with that as long as it's clean when you return it. I couldn't afford that and I knew she needed it for that particular time and I didn't have the money to throw away.

8. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Sorry, but I disagree. If you really can't afford to buy a special gown for one night, why not hire one, rather than do such a thing? It is stealing, because you're using the gown under false pretences, and whoever is unfortunate enough to purchase it after you is paying full price for a second hand gown. You're cheating the store and the bona fide buyer, so it may not be technical theft but in practice, it's stealing to gain unfair advantage.

9. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    Why would anyone buy and expensive dress if you would only use it once? And then return it after wearing it? It's just not right. If you are going to do that, you might as well just rent a dress then you can return it after. Like what Sandra said, it's just cheating and very unfortunate for someone who'd buy it next. That is just so wrong in both the consumer and seller's point of view.

10. melovesengland

melovesenglandMember

Threads:
    I dont get it. Might as well rent a dress if you will return it the next day. There are dresses that are good enough or lovely enough with quality than buying an expensive one and return it the next day or gets stucked in the wardrobe. Im sorry but thats not being wise.

11. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    There are too many places and too many programs that either have cheap priced or free dresses, especially for teen girls to wear, to pull a scam like that. While it technically isn't stealing, it is considered fraud. If the dress is only going to be worn once, why bother? Borrow, rent, get one used... I hope you're not still doing that.

12. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you everyone for your input!
    I do appreciate although we have different viewpoints on this.
    During the time that I did this I was not aware of websites such as rent the runway and other similar websites where you can rent a dress for a few weeks.
    I adore this concept and I already started taking advantage of it! (plus the dresses are much lovelier haha).