Wearing The Same Clothes For A Year?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • May 13, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Simple living. You buy only what you need. For ladies you buy two dresses which will be worn on alternate days for one year. Men can buy two pairs of shirts and two pairs of pants also to be worn on alternate days. Sounds like something impossible?

Would you do it so money you'd have spent buying clothes you may wear only once a fortnight can be spent on other things?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not so much about saving money, but more a lifestyle choice. When my life changed and I didn't go out as much, I chose to wear the same and comfortable clothes instead despite wardrobe fulls of clothes.

Clothes are more about where you are going and why, for work or visiting people you have to dress appropriately. If you are home based then you don't need an extensive wardrobe. I have found I need to buy less as I don't need that many outfits and what I have is classic enough and adaptable.

3. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never been one of those people who buys more than one item of clothing, of the same variety, at once. Perhaps that is because I don't have a regular place that I need to be that requires a certain type of attire. If I worked in an office, I imagine that I'd probably buy two pairs of slacks that were interchangeable. I'd wear them for as long as they lasted. Not just a year.

4. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I used to be pretty close to this. For two years I had only one summer work skirt and one winter work skirt. I had 5 identical white shirts though, because I sweat and can't wear the same one twice without washing. I now have a few more work clothes because I am in food service and the guests do appreciate having something to look at, not just some boring colorless uniform. I have been trying for years to get my wardrobe down to the smallest number of clothes possible though. It's hard because there are so many things I have that I know I can't donate because they will either refuse to take them, or just throw them away after I leave, yet I personally would continue to wear them, so I keep them and will just wear them till they are trash, then non replace them.

5. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    It's a nice dress, but it would be more appealing to me if she bought let's say, 5 of the same dress. Same color, same design, same exact dress, but just buy more than one, so that you can launder and air out the other dresses, but still have a super-clean dress to put on, instead of the same one over and over again.
    I mean, some could argue that buying more than one dress defeats the purpose of 'simple living' but I think it would still get the job done. I think that I could wear the exact same dress style every day for a year, but not the same dress.

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I think it's a fun concept to call attention to the issues. I don't necessarily think others should go out and do this, though. To focus on simply not buying any more items in a year would be even more efficient/better, but this is obviously a creative way to prove a point.

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to ask what she did with all of her other clothes. Why not wear those until they wear out, and only have the one new purchase, but not buy anything else new? I don't know. I guess she is just trying to make a point, but I'd have to have something else to wear in between. I'd have to be able to wash my dress, and I'd probably air dry it to make it last longer, so I'd need something to wear until it was ready again.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a limited amount of clothes at the moment and find I wear the same thing a few days in a row without thinking about it, I do not go out to an office to work any more, I work at home so I can get by on a limited wardrobe better than a lot of people.

9. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    This could work, but I feel like two shirts and pants are too few to save money in the long run. Sure, you spend less buying the clothes, but washing them every other day will be more expensive, especially with washer/dryer combo.
    I have 7 shirts that I wear throughout the week, and 4 pants. This ensures that I only have to wash clothes once a week, which helps me save in electricity bills.

10. kaylahambrick

kaylahambrickMember

Threads:
    I wouldn't do that. Just because I'm a fashionista and love to dress up and mix and match outfits. I work retail, and love to help all of my customers find what looks great on them and offer them alternative shirts or jewelry for a pair of khakis and a blazer. I understand that it's about saving money, but in my eyes I would rather spend the money and be happy with all of the options I have and the way that I look than I would be with some extra cash in my pocket

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Apparently capsule wardrobes are catching on. There are a lot of pins on Pinterest devoted to capsule wardrobes.
    A capsule wardrobe just means you keep a small closet and have about 15 pieces of clothing that you can mix and match.
    It saves on space and laundry. I like the idea and I've been downsizing my clothes gradually.
    Many people have clothes in the closet that they don't even wear. I'm choosing not to hang on to clothes I haven't worn in a while.

12. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Owning only 2-5 pieces of clothing is rather extreme for me, but I do like the idea of a capsule wardrobe. My closet’s small to begin with and I spent quite some time downsizing my clothes, so I’ve reached a point where I have enough for… oh, maybe four capsule wardrobes, haha. I’m reluctant to get rid of any more because I do love clothing and personal style, but at this point I’m not rushing to buy any more clothing just to fill the space. That's all it would do right now, really.

13. RapidRaven

RapidRavenMember

Threads:
    Hmm... I would say that's a little bit extreme. I wear around 15-20 different pieces of clothing per year, though I tend to reuse them for every year, unless they get worn out or torn too much. I avoid purchasing clothes I'll never use though, and avoid impulse buying. Still, this strategy is really effective in terms of cutting costs and having more money to spend elsewhere.

14. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Well, you can definitely save money. However, you have to know that the color will fade eventually especially with continuous washing. It will be sad to wear something faded, right? Especially if you are working.

15. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Now this could work. There are many ways to mix and match to create several outfits from just a few pieces. This concept was all the rage in the past. Apparently it's back again, but it's currently being referred to as a 'capsule wardrobe.' I have no idea what it was called before (or if it even had a name) but it works. I have no problem limiting the number of pieces, since it saves on space, money, and even time when choosing what to wear.

16. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Is each of the dresses reversible? If so that would totally make it doable. I didn't click the link because this topic is something that has come up several times already in discussion across the web, and I'm fairly certain I've visited the site before. I was also disappointed that the "story" didn't quite live up to the headline.

For what you propose to really work for a busy working woman, she'd have to have three dresses (all reversible), reliable transportation with working a/c and heat, and a low-key office job so her dresses wouldn't get sweaty.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to spend money on anything that I can afford, so even if I can't use them, if I like their design, then I will buy it. This year, I already bought 28 pieces of 2nd hand clothing, and I don't even go out much, lol.