Websites For Finding The Cheapest Flights?

Discussion in Travel started by mjervey • Mar 20, 2015.

1. mjervey

mjerveyNew Member

Threads:
    I was wondering if anyone had any advise for finding cheap flights. There are the big websites like Expedia, but I've normally found that the lesser known websites have cheaper prices. Kayak has served me pretty well, but I wanted to know if anyone else has found some more obscure websites for cheap flights. I'm looking at all my options and I just want to know I'm getting the absolute best price I can.

2. Medieval Mama

Medieval MamaNew Member

Threads:
    Perhaps more important than what site you use is what day of the week you book your flight on. You probably know that Tuesdays and Wednesdays are usually the cheapest days to fly. But surprisingly, which day of the week you buy a ticket makes a difference.

Typically, Tuesdays is the best day of the week to purchase a ticket. That is when fare sales are usually published. Recently, I spent the weekend looking at air fares for a trip I would take this summer. The fares were horrible, so I checked again the following Tuesday. The fare was almost $200 cheaper than when I looked on the weekend.

One other thing: some sites, like Orbitz, allows you to search a range of days to find the best price. Once I find which dates are least expensive, I always visit the actual airline's site to see what they offer. Sometimes you get the best deal directly from the airline. Good luck!

3. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    @Medieval Mama@Medieval Mama great answer! I could not have said it any better. @mjervey@mjervey, I was just about to make a thread exactly like the one you made! lol, isn't that funny? I have never known of any other site through which to book tickets other than Expedia. So now knowing of Kayak and Orbitz is good news, I just hope that they are better than Expedia...note the word "hope"

4. jamiew23

jamiew23Member

Threads:
    A great site to find cheap flights is

They compare lots of different companies to find the best deal and you can also use them to search for hotels and car hire too. I've used them a few times to find the best deals. Sometimes moving the flight date by a day or two can make a lot of difference too.

5. zenfive

zenfiveMember

Threads:
    I usually like to use ebookers.com, but I'll also cross check on some other platforms like Kayak as well to make sure I can find the cheapest possible deal. If you're in Europe, then Easyjet all the way since they have the most affordable rates and it's easiest to just check on their site.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like Orbitz and Expedia, and to find hotels the best ones for me are Bookings and Hotels.com. I will usually look at those first and if I can't find anything I'll go to other ones.

7. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    When booking flights on line, I have to admit I usually stick to the well known sites like Expedia and lastminute.com, while the price is important obviously so is please of mind as well.

I couple of years ago I took a price for a flight from a lesser known site and it was false economy because by the time they had added on all the extra charges it worked out more expensive than the others.

If you are looking to book the cheapest you can find, then make sure you read all the small print. And also if it looks too good to be true then it usually is.

8. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    One thing that I should mention is that you should always clear your cookies before you go to book a flight - because the website can tell which flights you've searched for before, learn what it is that you're looking for, and as a result they will then rise the prices, knowing that you will probably book them anyway. If you clear your cookies, it will look as though you're a new visitor, and will therefore get the lowest price as you saw the first time. This also applies for other types of travel websites, like trains etc.

9. TinVanMan

TinVanManNew Member

Threads:
    I agree that Skyscanner is probably the best. One thing I like to do to find a cheap flight is to find a ticket on Skyscanner, then go to the airline's website to find the same flight. It doesn't always work but a lot of times the airline will sell the ticket cheaper. I found that it works better for me on domestic flights than international for some reason.

10. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I usually book flights through Expedia.com. It's probably the most well known site for booking flights out there. And to be honest, though it may be cliche I do find that site to be the most reliable in terms of finding flights. To book hotels I use hotels.com. Through those two sites you can pretty much plan an entire trip in a 30 minute period. Love the convenience of it.