Weird Way To Save Money

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Denis Hard • Nov 28, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Supposing you are in a hurry to get somewhere on time you''ll probably grab only what you'll need [car keys and wallet] and dash out as you pull on your jacket. Next time you go grocery shopping try doing the same thing.

Write down what you intend to buy and give yourself 5 or so minutes to get everything you want. Chances are you'll get only what's on your shopping list and nothing more.

How will this save you money?

Simple. You won't be tempted to buy anything which you don't need.

2. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    This isn't really a weird way to save money because I think most us do this. We all make shopping lists to make sure that we will only buy what we need and nothing more. I do this as well. I am always tempted to buy products especially new ones, but I just stick to my list.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not about the shopping list. The focus was supposed to be more on the time limit — shopping in a hurry.

4. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the tip, but for me grocery shopping is a therapeutic way to relax and plan my meals for the rest of the week, I don't think I would want to spoil it by rushing everything on the list! Also, sometimes there are good deals/discounts to be found. You might not want the item immediately, hence it might not be on your list, but it might always be worth stocking up on while it's cheap!

5. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    Don't think that's really weird but it is a good idea because I tend to just wander around the store and waste a lot of time and money.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My wallet is my gauge on how big or small my purchases should be. If it's only enough for what I need, then I have no choice but to "surrender" and not go beyond my means, lol.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I can see how it would be effective. I don't think it's for me because I don't like the feeling of being in a hurry but I think it can be a very useful method for other people. I myself can fight temptation even if I take my time so I don't really need to do it but i can see how it would work for some other people who might have a bit of trouble with saying no to bargains that they pass.

8. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I always end up doing stuff like but not because I have an intention of saving money but only because I am quite late and have no other option. To tell the truth I am not very happy by this attitude of mine as it can be really risky at times. I would rather prefer to take plenty of stuffs that I would need.

9. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm on a very strict budget, so when I find an item that I really want, that isn't on my shopping list, I think about what it will do for me. I might decide to sacrifice an 'essential' purchase, for a 'luxury' purchase if I want it badly enough. It's essentially the same thing as a parent telling a child s/he can have a new toy, but must sacrifice a current toy in order to get the new one. I might downgrade an item I intend to purchase to a generic product, a less desirable brand, or smaller quantity, in order to splurge on a treat.

10. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I think this is a good idea as you will have tunnel vision and will only focus on what you need to buy as opposed to getting drawn into all the sale items you see on the end caps of the grocery store. This is an area that gets people because these items are usually very good deals, but you spend more than you intended if you buy them.

11. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Speaking of what @Rosyrain@Rosyrain mentioned, the items on the end caps, or ends of aisles and areas surrounding the cash registers, items in those sections are sometimes (at least in some stores) priced higher than the same exact items on their regular shelves. I read it somewhere, and tested it out using the scanning stations in a store or two, and it was true. That was years back, so I don't have specifics on which items in what particular stores, but that's why I won't buy items there, unless I decide that I'm in a rush, and don't care that I'm paying more.