Well, we just lost Tribune/The CW

Discussion in Digital & Web TV started by Nick2011 • Aug 19, 2012.

1. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    So I tuned in recently to channel 11 here in New York City where I live. It's now "The CW", but apparently. My provider Cablevision has had a falling out with Tribune who owns channel 11. And now, channel 11 is blacked out until this dispute gets resolved. Apparently, this is because Tribune's stockholders are pressuring them to push Cablevision for more money to carry their network. Which pretty much shows "Seinfeld" reruns and such. But also carries The CW during weeknights where shows like "Nikita", 'Vampire Diaries", "Supernatural", ''Heart Of Dixie", etc. are shown.

So for now, no channel 11 for New Yorkers. Which sucks because Yankee games come on there sometimes as well. What's worse is, the channel has been replaced for now with a "preview" of the Style channel. Definitely not a man friendly choice. I think this is BS though because why does the CW also have to suffer thanks to Tribune? I didn't even know Tribune still ran channel 11 here in NY because once they became The CW, I just thought it was now the CW for everything. But apparently, channel 11 is The CW for certain hours of the day. And just Tribune channel 11 for other times. Sooooo retarded. Anyways, I'd hate for this to spill over into the fall and I miss the new season's of "Supernatural", "Nikita", and "Secret Circle". That would suck. Fk those other shows though.

#1Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  2. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    This happens with our cable company all the time. The dispute drags out and out until the end comes and then the channel is gone. It stays gone a few days and ususally somebody relents.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is fairly common with cable companies. Hopefully, it will be straightened out soon. I'm a big fan of Supernatural and Nikita. The Secret Circle is cancelled. Sorry.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's pretty disgusting that cable companies fight like children and the consumers pay. It's like paying customers are children being used as pawns in an ugly divorce. Why should you have to lose channels that you are paying for because Cablevision and Tribune are fighting?

5. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Really?? "Secret Circle" got the ax????? Wow. Shows how out of the loop I've been but it was Summer time so the last thing I was thinking about way back in June was tv lol. But man so that's it? I can't say I blame them though. The show was getting annoying by the final 5 episodes. Too many intros. Witchunters, peoples long lost parents and what not. The audience probably bailed after things became too soap-opera'ish.

6. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    It sucks too because I just turned on the tv one day and the channel was gone. And I'm like, ok. Then I noticed the writing scrolling across the screen. And I rolled my eyes like..."this again"? I remember when FOX went through this with Cablevision during the MLB playoffs. It was not fun. Not fun at all. How come all the lame channels never have these problems? I mean if Cablevision had a dispute with the golf channel or something. That'd be one fight I could care less about.

7. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I bet the falling out was fueled by greed. These corporations are all about money, and they will stop at nothing to get it. The channel wasn't getting enough viewers, and the cable company probably complained about it. I'm just speculating, but that's usually how it goes. Well, I guess you can watch your shows online, until the cable company comes to a resolution.

8. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    It's basically Tribune's shareholders claiming they want Tribune to jack up their rates to Cablevision so they (the shareholders) can profit more. Of course, those costs will be passed on to the consumers (me), so I certainly am on Cablevision's side in this one.

9. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    UPDATE: Well, we still don't have the CW back. It's closing in on a month now. I'm starting to get worried that I'll be missing the new seasons of "Nikita" and "Supernatural". And if I have to watch one more episode of "Gossip Girl", I think I'll drink a tall glass of Clorox!

10. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Good news. The CW is finally back here on the east coast. Just in time too. I had missed 3 episodes of "Nikita" and "Supernatural"s new seasons. Unfortunately, now we have to deal with the aftermath of Sandy.

11. HughIvar

HughIvarBanned

Threads:
    I'd hate for this to spill over into the fall and I miss the new season's of "Supernatural", "Nikita", and "Secret Circle". That would suck. Fk those other shows though.

12. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    "Secret Circle" has been cancelled unfortunately. They're running the first season on Chiller though for nostalgic purposes. But no more new episodes. Funny thing, I heard the two main girls from "SC" scored a new gig on "The Vampire Diaries". Go figure.

13. crossunitedfate

crossunitedfateMember

Threads:
    As much as I dislike the CW, even I can tell you that is a serious blow. Time Warner Cable in New York still have it thought. You can just switch if you don't want to wait for Cablevision to come to a resolution.

14. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    They came to a resolution already so CW is back on. I think Cablevision struck a deal with another company which put pressure on CW and Tribune to cave.