What About Man-Purses?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by ExpertAdvice • Sep 15, 2014.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know if you own one, or if someone you know owns one, but somewhere along the line, you've probably heard of the term, a "man-purse".
    It's usually used to refer to a pouch for carrying money that looks more similar to a woman's purse than it does a "man's wallet".
    Now, you may not think so, but a lot of controversy has surrounded this issue over the years, with some men firmly declaring that they would never be caught with either a "man-purse", or some other fashion element that is popularly associated with use by a female. Yet, there are others who choose to make use of these items, regardless of the "talk".

So what's your take on them? Do you think that the distinction should be maintained? Or is it "to each his own"?

#1Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  2. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I am more of a to each his own. I know some guys who like to carry some type of bag for their wallet, keys, phone etc. and others who prefer to try and shove it all in their pockets. I figure whatever works for you. Sometimes I think a bag can look a bit better because it doesn't stretch out the pockets on the man's clothing. I really think this comes down to a person's preference over anything else.

3. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I would rather have my man carry a "man-purse" than have him lose his belongings. Worse, some men (like my brother) love putting his belongings, such as his wallet, in my bag or my mom's bag. If he has a bag of his own, he won't bother me anymore. This isn't really a big deal for me as a woman.

4. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Well if it's really useful then why not? I mean if I have no choice but to carry around a queer looking purse in order to get all my stuff in one bag then I would gladly do that. Nothing wrong with wanting more convenience in life.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think an elegant solution for a man carrying money or other items, is to wear a simple money belt, like the ones that are so handy while travelling. Instead of a wallet sticking out of a man's back pocket, he can safely stow away his money, credit cards and phone into a money belt that he can even wear under his clothes. I, myself, do it all the time, as where I live, carrying a handbag is not recommended as thieves can snap it off your shoulders at any time.

6. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I was really curious about these so-called man purses so I googled for images. After seeing some samples, I can say that I have no issues if my husband will get one too as long as it doesn't look too feminine. Because I would hate it if some people would say bad things about my husband just because of a bag.

This style - I like:
    hugh_jackman.

I don't like this one though:
    Men.joel-Madden.

:)

7. Frogurt

FrogurtMember

Threads:
    I use a satchel and everybody I know calls it a "man-bag". But it is so handy to have. I often carry some water and some medications and using a lot of public transport makes it really useful.

8. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Right! I wouldn't do it as a "fashion-statement," but sometimes I gotta carry stuff around that my pockets couldn't handle!

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Man? Womans? Do such distinctions even exist these days? It's like companies are trying their best to sell their products to anyone and all they have to change is the label. A purse is a purse but since it's women's accessory they have to come up with something that sounds more masculine "man-purses." I'd never carry one of those around. If I need something to lug around, a man pack will do. It's a cross between man-purse and men's backpacks [only difference with a back pack is that it's smaller]. Notice how the word men is flung all over to distinguish them from ordinary purses and back packs :)

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Some of them don't look very good on guys, but some other designs do work, so I guess those are alright. I don't really mind whatever people use, though, because it is their business what they choose to wear and carry. I know I probably have worn some questionable things on my person countless times before and maybe even until now, and I'd hate to be judged for it just because of some unspoken cultural standard that doesn't really matter all that much anyway.

11. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    Definitely understood! I see your point forextraspecialstuff! I can relate to wanting to stuff everything into my pocket, so that I can just have everything on me at one time, and I might not see the necessity for a bag all the times, but I do carry a bag around, with most of my "necessities", and I don't think it calls for much attention either way. It's just practical, for my taste, and I don't necessarily want the items I need to carry around, always on my person, or bulging out my pockets, to attract possible thieves.
    I'd rather carry a bag around, and risk the "attention-caller", than have it all in my pockets, and then possibly even risk some of the items either falling out, or my pockets developing holes, through which fit the smaller of the items I may carry (which, sadly, has actually happened to me before!).
    Thanks for your feedback! Great commentary!

12. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    Lol, it's great to know that you "approve", and that you see the practicality of it. I think it's hilarious that your brother "makes use of" your bag, and your mom's bag. That must be a bit annoying for you, but I guess it's great that he feels that close to you, and that you'll actually "help him out" in that way.
    I'm sure a lot of guys just collectively "breathed a sigh of relief", at knowing that there are women out there who actually do approve of men carrying their "necessaries" in bags, and that they don't think that it looks overly effeminate, or as a sign of them wanting some kind of "extra attention".
    I sure hope that your brother invests in a bag of his own soon, and you could possibly let him know that there are bags out there that don't necessarily fall into the category of a "man-purse", like a briefcase or something that looks more masculine and "business-like".
    I think that both sexes should stay as organized as they can, in terms of putting together the items that they carry around, and try, as best as possible, not to inconvenience those around them by asking them to "hold their stuff", so they don't bulge in their own pockets.
    Thanks for the response chiofthenorns!

13. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    That's right! And, I believe, that at the end of the day, noone can tell you "who you are" but yourself! People will always try to "define" you as either this or that, solely based on your appearance, but ain't noone who can truly tell you..."you're not masculine", or "man enough". Even if they do say so, it's your choice whether to listen to them or not.
    They don't know you, they don't know why you choose to do what you do, and they don't know if you have another option at the time, so basically, their opinions don't count!
    Yes, there are certain things that, based on the stereotypical views of them, appear to be more of the female persuasion than the male, but if you're a real man, only [Byou[/B] can by the judge of that at the end of the day, and know it for yourself, rather than allowing some "outside person" to tell you who you are and aren't!

14. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    Wow, I like this solution very much, and I agree that it's both elegant AND practical. I think it goes away from the conventional image of what a "man-purse" looks like, and allows men perhaps a solution that they're far more comfortable with.
    It's better for a man to get a masculine, non-bulky solution that "frees their pockets" from overloading them with all their "stuff", and converts their "messes" into simplified organization. We'll know where everything is, we can wear our jeans and pantsuits comfortably, and we don't have to feel that people are "judging us negatively" for our "fashion choice".
    Thanks for the suggestion! I like it very much!

15. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    *stands and applauds* You've hit the nail on the head for me with this one! I really do appreciate the visual aid as well! Nice touch! It really "brings it to life" for all of us right now! In case you didn't know what man-purse looked like people, then here are two extreme examples!
    I must say I agree with you: I prefer option A to option B, simply for the reason that option A looks less flashy than option B, and the "flashy look" is just not my style. It's not just because it doesn't look masculine to me, it's because it just doesn't even look attractive, in my opinion. The first one is simple and straightforward. I can see myself wearing that anywhere, and putting my essentials in it, and I'm good for the day!
    But with the second one, it looks like "a lot is going on", with that checker-print, and then the multicolored stripes. The design itself does resemble a woman's bag, but it's the patterns that are throwing me off really.
    Thanks again for this vivid breakdown of it! Nice!

16. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    Lol, I'd have to agree with you Denis Hard! Marketing nowadays (and probably since forever), just tries to simply "flip a label", to kinda "fool consumers" into believing that we're buying something totally different, when, in fact, we're merely buying the same thing we said we "didn't like", but with another name on it.
    I've also seen this trick (which actually seems to work), on imitation goods; you know what I mean: those goods that are more or less "knock-offs" of the "real thing", but have been branded so similarly, that you can't tell you're not getting the genuine stuff! The quality isn't the same, but the "look" sure is.
    So, my question is: if we're buying the same stuff we hated yesterday because the name now "appeals to us", are we sure that we didn't like it in the first place? Or were we so "put off" by the name, that it influenced our buying capacity? Lol.

17. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I personally don't like man-purses, but I do carry a messenger bag when I have something I need to take with me and it's a completely different thing! :)
    I don't understand men who criticize other for having a man-purse, surely they sometimes need to carry stuff too, I bet they just put it in their wife's purse and think the problem is solved.

18. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I suppose it's the label people hate. Men hate to be compared with women because they believe women are a weak. A man must be macho, etc. Try to picture this scene:

Man # 1: You carrying a purse today.
    Man #2: Tain't no purse [cusses], it's a man purse!

By labeling it "man purse" he can get away with that. After all, it's probably just a drab purse. I believe that much as we may not have loved the purses, we know they are convenient but pride will hold us back from carrying such purses around to avoid being considered "girly." Most men still find being compared to a girl to be a rather offensive insult.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that it's ok for a guy to carry a man purse as long as it doesn't look too feminine. I noticed that body bags are the ones that they usually use when they go out. A man purse that looks like a woman's bag as pictured above would make them look like they're gay.

20. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I think that are cute on some men because they know how to match their style with it. My husband would never wear one because he thinks that it is a little to "lady like," as he would say. It really all depends on how the "man-purse" makes the man feel. If you like it then there should be no problem.