What are good tools for travel?

Discussion in Travel started by H.C. Heartland • Dec 2, 2014.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    My husband and I have been traveling for years to do volunteer work abroad. Each time we try to get a new tool or something that will help us with our work. The most used tool has problem been his Leatherman (a multi-functioning pocket tool that is very durable.). But what would you suggest be the ultimate tools to have if you were going to travel abroad for either short term trips or long term trips? We are always looking for new ideas as it seems no matter how much we prepare there is always some tool we wish we had with us.

2. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    I wear a pair of most comfortable shoes that are generally black colored. I Will then only pack one pair of medium high high heels. Those are wrapped inside a grocery plastic bag and tied in a bow. Then I place that bag in a larger bag with socks or knee highs.
    My hair rollers, and curling wand are inside my large sized purse.
    All of my clothing is cotton knitted material. I place those on top of my bed at home. The most neutral colors are Khaki, lilac, and black/blue. I believe those colors may be worn anytime of the year. I use tissue paper to roll the clothing up. I place it into a small sized carry-on. Remember there is an iron and hair dryer at any hotel you check into. Believe it or not, I bring underwear that is old and worn. I throw those away instead of returning home with them. That leaves a little extra space to take souvenirs home.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A big suitcase for one if not a traveler's backpack full of your essentials: clothes (both formal and informal), first aid kit, camera, cellphone, non-liquid toiletries like toothbrush and napkin, a cap, an umbrella, two pairs of shoes plus slippers and books.

4. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    I am not keen of heavy luggage on my traveling i always use to pack light things as possible. Because i belive that we are going for fun, I pack some of my favourite cloths usually, my laptop, hand camera and lots of extra space in my luggage, because i love shopping as well. :rolleyes:

5. Maxwell

MaxwellActive Member

Threads:
    Kylrey, like you I also avoid to pack heavy luggage. According to my point of view we can not easily move from one place to another during traveling if we have too much luggage. I just keep my necessary things in my traveling bags.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always take tape, duct tape and sellotape and also rubber bands. They are great for keeping things together and mending holes in things. I also take extra plastic carrier bags and ziploc bags to separate things, especially if you are on the move or need to keep documents dry. My torch on my keychain has been a lifesaver when it gets dark unexpectedly.

7. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    If one is going to a place that is foreign to your custom and language, best get a language dictionary and cultural guide books to bring along to reference. Something that is universally valuable, like gold, silver or diamond, that one can trade at a moments need is very good to have, but not a thing that you really value at heart. A back-up credit card for emergency use is good to have too. Most important, a good focused mind and a respect for other cultures and customs you are not familiar with, because it only takes one second for a entire vacation to go south.

8. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah! we should respect other countries culture and traditions. According to me if you going at such place for visit, where you can't understand their language, so best way to hire an experienced guide, who knows your and their both languages.;) In this way you could also interact with the peoples and could get more fun and info. What you say.....:)

9. Maxwell

MaxwellActive Member

Threads:
    You are right Kylrey, I agree with you. I never hired tour guides during my trips but I think it is also a best way to make our tour memorable and most enjoyable.

10. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    yeah Maxwell! It is one of bests way to make your journey one of most memorable and most enjoyable. You must apply this tip for your next tour. And don't forget to share your experiences with me.

11. Maxwell

MaxwellActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah Kylrey, I have a plan to visit the beautiful destination of Canada in coming month. During this tour I must hire a tour guide to make this journey most enjoyable and memorable. I want to go there to enjoy its snow fall. You ever visited this state in winter?

12. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    yeah i am very glad to know about your vocation's plan Maxwell! Yeah Canada is one of my favourite travel distentions where i always love visit again and again. I have been visited there two times yet.But both visits were in summer vocations as well. But i am also keen of to visit that place in winters. So best of luck for journey and don't forget to share your experiences with me. I wanna hear your judgment that... Is winter is a suitable time to visit that fabulous country as well as summer is?????

13. Maxwell

MaxwellActive Member

Threads:
    I think both seasons have their charm. I have been there last in summer. It is also a nice time to enjoy the beauty of this country. I am going to enjoy its snowfall first time in my life. I hope it will become one of the most enjoyable trips of my life.

14. Ashlee

AshleeActive Member

Threads:
    Kylrey! Canada is also my favorite countries and I want to spend there my all time. It have bright features and the magnificent attractions. The Niagara Falls is its most famous and incredible attraction. Every year lots of people come to visit there and it plays the vital role in the economy of this region.

According to me every season has its own charm and we try to explore it in every season. I have been there in both season and they both are special for me. Now its all up to you that which season attracts you a lot.

15. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    Maxwell and Ashlee! Both of you have shared really nice info here. Now i could make my decision easily. I decided to visit there after my New York tour along with my friends. I need your suggestions for good accommodations as well and i think you could guide me in better way.

16. Maxwell

MaxwellActive Member

Threads:
    Kylrey, if you have a plan to visit the Toronto then I must say "Bond Place Hotel" is a nice choice for you. You can enjoy modern accommodation there. This beautiful hotel is located in the city centre and attracts millions of visitors because of its ideal location.

17. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    For me, the most important thing to invest upon if you travel a lot is a good suitcase. It has to be big enough to carry the usual things that you bring, but also lightweight. You also wouldn't want it to be so big that it will already be too difficult to haul around. I personally prefer Samsonite as a brand and I always go for their hard cases. Ideally, I would only try to put stuff at the lower zipper and keep the upper one vacant. This ensures that I don't overpack, unless of course it's absolutely necessary.

18. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I could probably mention a few things I personally would bring. I would definitely bring a camera. Always capture moments because those will be memories in a picture. It's good to reminisce on your travels.

Another thing I'd probably do is to pack light, bring a water bottle, and to know someone in the area you're visiting.

19. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, aside from money, you wouldn't just be able to make the most of your travel if you don't have a camera with you. iPad could also be a beneficial gadget to be with you or an iPhone and smartwatch primarily for quick internet when you need to find something right away that's really going to make a big difference in your travel.

20. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    Hy Maxwell...! Thanks for your suggestions i will definitely prefer to visit at your suggested accommodation. But i am still having some confusions about it. Would you like to share some images of it so i could make a final decision.