What Are Some Great Movies You Can't Believe You Never Heard Of Before?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by hellavu • Feb 25, 2015.

1. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    So many movies.
    So many years of cinema making, so many countries, so many genres.

And yet there are the big cult movies everyone hears of and know they have to watch
    and the very hip and popular movies who get a lot of hype before and after coming out.

And sometimes, some movies quietly come into existence and you hardly hear about them. Until one day you watch it and you wonder, "Woah, why did no one tell me of this? Where has this movie been all my life?"

I felt this way when I saw "Second hand Lion", for instance. Very lovely movie. Also really enjoyed "About Time" -- I always heard about Love Actually, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Notting Hill (usually because of Hugh Grant, admittedly) but I never heard of About Time before and it was superb.

What are some movies that are not widely known but really should be?

2. jbepp

jbeppMember

Threads:
    It's not really movie, but the only movie I've felt like this is called "It's such a beautiful day". It's only 23 minutes longs but it feels so genuine, and you feel like some actual effort went into making it. It will definitely leave you wondering many things.

3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Oh, I have watched Four Weddings and a Funeral too, it's just okay though, not really great, but Hugh Grant looked so cute there. ;) Anyway, my kind of movies are really not the "mainstream" type of films, I always go for underrated ones that are not very popular, because I think their storylines are more unique and interesting. I enjoyed watching Kissed (it's about a girl who is in love with dead guys, weird but I love it), Welcome to the Doll House ( hilarious preteen flick, really good), and Boys Don't Cry (heartbreaking performances, it will surely tear up your heart).

4. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:

I don't think I actually watched Four Weddings and a Funeral. If I did, I don't really remember it -- I just meant that the movies I cite are all from the same person, and I heard of all of them but never about "About Time".. which was very lovely and better than all of the others, as far as I'm concerned.

The girl who's in love with dead guys (y'know, Buffy and Bella also are!) really sounds intriguing, I'll have to check it out!

5. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Movies I think that are good cult movies that are not too popular are They Live, Thursday, Re-Animator, Mud, Serenity, Big Fish, 25th Hour, Open Range, The Lookout, Hesher, The Weather Man, Revolver, and so much more that I've forgotten at the moment. I don't know if many people have seen the movies I listed, but I think my list provides quality movies that are well known.

6. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Big Fish is pretty well-known I think (as Tim Burton movies and Ewan McGregor tend to be), and absolutely gorgeous! I love the visuals -- I love movies that are so vibrant and colorful. :)

As for the others, I've heard of a few of them, but did not watch any (except bits of the Weather Man, I don't like Nic Cage). I'm always happy to compile new titles for a nice movie night!

7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah. But I am talking about a real corpse, like the one who doesn't move, talk, or breathe. Really dead. The girl has necrophilia, it's pretty weird but it's a very good one. You should totally check that one out. I don't want to spoil the ending for you. ;)

8. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I know that's what you meant, I was just being quippy about it.

I think I saw some instances of necrophilia in other movies -- usually, it was male characters -- but never females and never a complete movie on the subject! Is it a movie that you can watch with boyfriend/friends/etc?

9. Beautyspin

BeautyspinMember

Threads:
    I hope somebody has watched Meet Joe Black. It has Anthony Hopkins, Brad Pitt and Claire Forlani. I was really moved. Fantastic movie. I do not want to review it here in case somebody wants to watch it, but I had watched it multiple times and became a fan of Brad Pitt after this movie. I always liked Anthony hopkins.

10. MoneyMan

MoneyManMember

Threads:
    I know the book is popular, but the movie, not so much. Fahrenheit 451 is a great book (I highly recommend it) and I never knew there was a movie for it. Apparently it is pretty old, but it is still a movie for my favorite book.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I came across a movie called lord of war recently and it stars Nicolas cage and Jared Leto which makes it even more surprising that the movie wasn't as popular as most other Nicolas cage movies, considering that even the worst ones at least gain some popularity or at the very least a bit of infamy. Though I have to admit the movie wasn't really much of a standout so it's a bit understandable.

12. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I've had so many to remember but the one movie that I was surprised that it was totally kick ass was Fight Club. I've heard about the movie back then but I didn't paid that much attention to it because it basically was a box office flop but when I watched it I was blown away by how good the movie was.

13. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    Will Ferrell usually plays funny men and simpletons, to put it politely. But one movie that really surprised me was Stranger Than Fiction. He plays the role incredibly straight, the first time I've ever seen him do so, and it was really a very good movie. Well worth a view.

14. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    American History X. I've never heard of that movie before until my college teacher told me to watch it and at first I thought it was going to be a 'meh' movie but it turns out to be really really good.

15. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:

I saw it recently too! I did not consider it at first because from the premisse, I mistook it for Nicholas Cage's 'Adaptation' movie (or so I believe it's called)

But yup, was totally good.

I also watched Elf this year after years of not giving it a chance. He played a simpleton alright, but I never laughed so hard at a movie, I believe!

16. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    Previous is a great movie that I had not heard about until my friends told me about. It seems like a wonderful movie and I think it is a great movie. I would have never watched it is it was not for my friends. I believe it is a great movie.

17. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    I just watched About time recently and enjoyed it a great deal, the Cornish scenery was stunning, the acting was superb and the film evokes all kinds of feelings. The film is a very interesting and different take on the concept of time travel, there are some holes in the plot but it doesn't matter, the film is great entertainment.

Although the storyline of time travel could be viewed as absurd it somehow works and that side of it becomes secondary to the messages of the meaning of love and life that this film sends out. Anyone interested in film or anyone who thinks deeply about life should not miss this movie.

18. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:

I really enjoy all the different ways time travel is explored in different movies. If done well, it brings such an amazing, original dimension to a movie, I think. :)

19. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I saw Meet Joe Black it was interesting. I don't see a lot of movies but I do know there are some good movies out there that do not get all of the hype of Hollywood and some of those are better than the one that do get the hype.

20. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are so many to mention. In the past, I used to watch nothing but American films, but now I've widened my horizons. British, French, Korean, Japanese, Thai and Indian movies have now been added to my endless list of must-watch movies. I recently took an interest in an Indian film starring Amir Khan, who was famous for his ground-breaking role in The Three Idiots. The movie was entitled PK and its plot centered around identity and religion. What I like about the movie is that it discussed the subject in a flippant but deeply moving manner. I felt so thankful for the opportunity to watch it.