What are the best dog toys?

Discussion in Pets started by kinser • Apr 17, 2012.

1. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    I have two large dogs that are heavy chewers. They are usually able to destory flimsy dog toys in a matter of minutes, which can be dangerous (if they ingest the material). My favorite toys for them are Kong and Nylabone - both brands carry products for dog toys that are virtually indestructible. Both are kind of expensive, but the price is worth it in the long run because the dog will use it for a long time. My dogs especially love to gnaw on Nylabones - they stay occupied for quite awhile working on them.

2. renmew

renmewMember

Threads:
    A good friend of mine has two large dogs. Their "toy box" includes mostly thick knotted ropes. When we visit my kids love playing tug-of-war with the dogs. This type of toy doesn't seem to wear out too easily.

3. katniss

katnissActive Member

Threads:
    My little maltese pup absolutely destroyed the Kong toys! Even the black ones that are apparently for hard core chewers were shredded up within days.

For chewing and biting on, i can't recall the brand but they are made of real deer antlers that have fallen off. Super hard material that takes forever to chew, and the inner bone marrow part the dog can actually eat and swallow. My dog loves this.

For throwing/fetching, I think its Kong that makes green dog tennis balls that squeak and my dog loves. Ours has lasted a long time, although other than playing fetch she doesnt chew it much.

We must have bought her close to 20 toys now which are scattered all over the house, yet she'll still drop em all and goes most crazy for a pair of socks or some fresh laundry everytime.

Then I found this toy. It is super strong, made while several layers of fabric and stitching. It is the only soft toy that has lasted more than a week. So if you have big chewers I strongly reccomend it. They even give it to baby tigers in the zoo to play with and they dont rip it!

4. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, destroyed the Kong? I'm impressed, LOL! Must be those sharp little puppy teeth. One of my dogs (who is half Lab and loves to fetch) simply adores the Kong tennis balls (the oversized ones) - he will walk around with those all day. Unfortunately, my other dog, gets ahold of them and rips the covering off, and I'm afraid he will swallow it, so I don't get the tennis balls anymore. I did buy a Kong squeaky ball that's all rubber, but my fetcher doesn't really care for it as much as the tennis balls. I'd never heard of the deer antler chewies - sounds like something my dogs would love. A dog trainer told me to be careful with toys made of real animal material because one of my dogs gets aggressive when he has those (he used to devour pig ears as a puppy, but would try to take your hand off if you got near him when he had one; not good when there are kids in the house).

5. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    My Bangkeaw is a inveterate chewer. So I got her a coconut. Unhusked. She goes through one a week but they are cheap.

6. Gonzalo

GonzaloActive Member

Threads:
    I have a heavy chewer dog too, it's a rough collie. Although it's just a puppy, he loves chewing everything! I had to buy some toys for it, but he keeps chewing everything...

7. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I've tried getting my little dalmatian all kinds of tennis balls, but she just destroys them in no time. She chews off bones I get from the vet store and eats them.

8. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have any dogs that are really chewers, but my mom has one and he's the love of my life when it comes to pets :D He's an Akita named Gus and I was always crazy about him.

Now, I know not everyone agrees with the idea of giving dogs things that aren't dog food to eat, but his favorite treat is a ham hock. And, it works as a chew toy for a little while! I bring a pack of ham hocks to my mom's from time to time to give to him and I'll toss him one. He just loves it.

9. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    I have four English Mastiffs, so dog toys are hard to keep around for me! I have found the Kong to work pretty well. However, they are destroyed as well by my dogs big jaws. The big knotty balls, though, have the best life span next to a bowling ball! These are hard for them to get teeth in so they are not easily destroyed.

10. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I think if I get back to live in the countryside, I may consider making a scarecrow. Then train a Doberman to chew on the scarecrow. Probably let my neighbors see the Doberman in action, too. That might improve perimeter security.

11. stefano13

stefano13Member

Threads:
    I have a pitbull very lively and strong, he likes to play, but when I do not have time to devote to him, he destroys the shoes or some rope that is in the garden. So I brought him toys or bones lie but destroyed them in an instant, then the best solution I've found and buy a leather soccer ball, and it is very hard to destroy.

12. violino

violinoMember

Threads:
    My golden retriever doesn't like anything tough. He loves teddy bears, he stole all of them from my room, and honestly, this is the best toy for him. I tried to buy him different ones but nothing worked. Maybe a thick line with a knot was pretty good for some time but not for long. If he can choose, he'd take a teddy bear anyway.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We also use this plastic bone called "Nylabone" that has withstood the manhandling of several of our dogs, and until now that plastic bone is still in one piece. It is definitely a great buy.