What are the best headphones for working out?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Colebra • Oct 12, 2014.

1. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I need to buy a good pair of headphones for working out.

Do you think I should go with something like this:

headphones.

Or something like this?

Sound quality is important, but I'm much more concerned with them being sturdy as I'm running, and lifting weights.
    What's the best choice in your opinion?

2. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    Sound quality is important. There are headphones out there that are way cheaper and that are bluetooth that has the same quality as beat by dre. I bought a set oh blue tooth headphones for $20 on amazon and they are amazing especially when i run.

3. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I always prefer in-ear headphones. The first one you showed, I don't know the proper term for it, is too bulky. It always slips off my head. I have a Sennheiser in-ear headsets. They are very good and affordable. I think they are only priced at $20 on Amazon.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For working out, I definitely suggest you get the clip-on earphones. The headphones will just easily fall off your head if you were to run. Headphones are only ideal for home use in my opinion.

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you try to wear over-the-ear or on-the-ear headphones while working out, then you're doing things completely wrong. They're going to fall off your head. In-ear wireless headphones are the best option, such as the LG Tone Ultra or something else that's designed to stay on your ears or around your neck. Using corded headphones comes with a few disadvantages, most notably getting the headphones ripped out of your ears every few minutes if you're not careful. :p

6. evelination

evelinationMember

Threads:
    I don't have any kind of preference, except probably comfort and sound quality. The rest will follow. If it's big or small, that doesn't bother me at all. I just want something to fit my head and if it's got bass, then that would be even better, though for the price I'd pay, that would be really disadvantageous to the manufacturer. :)

7. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Recently I had a nice surprise when I realized I left my regular headphones at home. I bought a pair of $6 RCA headphones from Best Buy and they sound good. At worst, they are too big for my ears by maybe a cm but the sound is fantastic for the price. For more than 20 years, I have been a Sony/AIWA fanatic and can't wait to get a BOSE system in my next place. This is to say that while I am picky, I will never buy anything associated with Beats by Dre.

8. seatones

seatonesNew Member

Threads:
    The 2nd pair for sure. It's often difficult to do certain exercises with over-the-hear headphones like the Beats; certain movements and positions will make them fall off your head! You don't want to have to worry about that while exercising. The 2nd pair you posted are perfect because they are in (and around) ear, meaning that it is very hard for them to slip off. I believe that design is actually made specifically for working out but I could be wrong about that. One important thing would be to find a brand that makes that style comfortably and with good sound quality; you won't want to be working out for long periods of time with headphones that don't sound great. Hope that helps.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    If it's for working out then I'd just go with something cheap or at least something that favors durability over style or even sound just because I know I'll be perspiring all over them and they will probably get a bit more abuse than regular usage since I'll be moving around a lot. I think the second option you posted is much better since you could even keep the wires off of your chest which is a part that gets a lot of perspiration when moving a lot.

10. Harlek

HarlekMember

Threads:
    Go with the one that sticks and stays there. Headphones will easily fall off your head once you start getting into the action and the sheer size of it can get in the way of your workout especially when you're doing intense jumps or weight lifting. I usually prefer using ear plug type earphones because they stay on my ear and the sound quality is always superior. The only downside is that, well they're going to get sweaty.

11. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely quality matters then its look. Well i will suggest you to choose one that fits to your ears comfortably and you don't need to set it again and again.

12. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As far as brand goes, am not sure what the best headphones are. I am sure that that is mostly a matter of taste. But as far as the type of headphones, I would say that earbuds might be the best choice to use when working out. Otherwise the headphones may fall off when you are moving.

13. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Over-the-ear headphones will be a bad idea. They will falloff occasionally and they will get in the way of certain workouts. Stick with in-ear headphones and the ones that have prongs where you slide behind your ear for a more secure fit. But I suppose you can use over-the-ear headphones if you're not doing something intense.

14. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is why I said it is best to use in-ear buds. But at the same time, I have owned some pretty sturdy over-ear headphones in my time. They have stayed on my head come rain or high water. But then when I take them off, I have a headache because of how tightly they were clinging to my head lol. If you are working out, you're probably already going to have a headache from the dehydration, much less the headphones too.

15. Mr. Zhou

Mr. ZhouNew Member

Threads:
    The first one looks good but the second one is a little strange.

16. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah i do agree with you over-ear headphones sometimes do irritate me as well. But it also give me a relief from noise while i am playing my favourite game in a crowdy places. During my mom's friend wedding ceremony i was getting bored there was so crowded of people like the whole city was invited then i use to plug in my headphones and it give me a relief all sounds and noises were away from me and i was just enjoying myself.

17. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Since you lift weights and other kinds of exercise how about radio built in the earphone type of headsets? Radio headphones are more durable & easy all in one no wires & messy tangles when you exercise.

18. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    The buds, but not those over-ear ones. I see other people have problems with them, too, and I find they really start to wear on the backs of my ears after a while. A pair of buds with expandable rubber suits me best when I'm working out; anything else either chafes or falls off / out constantly.