What are the best small to medium sized dogs for kids and why?

Discussion in Pets started by joyful728 • Nov 3, 2014.

1. joyful728

joyful728Active Member

Threads:
    We are researching dogs. Which medium to small sized dogs are the best ones for a family with kids and why? We want a dog who can be gentle with the kids but also very playful. My son specifically wants to be able to teach the dog to play fetch.

Anyone happen to know of miniature golden retriever breeders out there?

Thanks for your help!!!

2. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I would recommend a beagle, it's a very friendly and social breed. Try to avoid pugs, poogles or shih tzu as they are generally more quiet and aloof, and may not take your kids' advances well. If you wouldn't mind a slightly larger breed I would definitely recommend a Labrador Retriever, it's the epitome of the family dog.

3. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    There is NO such thing as a "miniature golden retriever." (I know, I know, people sell them on line). What they are doing is purposely breeding RUNTS.

This is really kind of an important decision. Dogs, depending on their breed, can live for a long time. This is a website I recommend to help sort it out:

. She tells all the pluses and minuses of each breed. All dog breeds have advantages and disadvantages.

4. joyful728

joyful728Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks for your very helpful responses!!

I guess I have another question, I am learning more about mixed breeds, and honestly, I think they might be better and less likely to have health problems.

Which mix breed do you think is best? A labradoodle? Cockapoo? Pomchon? Morkie?

Thanks for any responses!!!

5. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I think Labradoodles are wonderful pets. I had one growing up and he was one of the most loving animals I've ever had. I currently have two chihuahua's and no children, but I wouldn't recommend them for children. I'm sure some of them are fine, but most of them are driven towards one person/take favorites.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Beagles and Maltese are sweet and friendly dog breeds, but I personally can't recommend enough the breed Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. I own one and I have never before known such a friendly, loyal, sweet, compassionate breed such as this one before. My mom is a vet and I have always had close contact with several different breeds of dogs. I think I can say this one is the sweetest and friendliest one. They get along perfect with kids, other dogs, and even with cats! They're such a joy!