What are things that shows or movies do to make you dislike them?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by TPhoenix • Mar 14, 2014.

1. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    What puts you off about a TV show or movie that makes you absolutely dislike it? Are there certain things that may happen with the characters or plot that just make you walk out of the theater or turn the show or movie off? Have you felt like you're ever wasted money on buying a show or movie to watch? List some of the things that have made you dislike certain shows or movies?

2. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I specially hate it when movies have cliche' endings. I would rather leave the audience guessing or let the audience fill in the gaps of the ending. I also hate it when movies explain a lot, like when a movie reveals its twist and then all of a sudden the characters will out of nowhere explicitly explain what just happened. Another thing I hate the most, especially on horror movies, is jump scares. The ones that just scare you for the sake of it being called a horror movie, I hate it! Horror movies should be able to scare you without these stupid jump scares, horror movies should be scary because of the events in the movie, the story, the characters, the atmosphere, the scenario, not because some corpse falling out of the closet. I hate them! Also, what I hate about movies are pointless dialogues. Like when a character talks to another character about something that has nothing to do with the advancement of the story, why include that in the final script if it has no use at all? And also when a movie chose to cast celebrities and not real actors/actresses. You know what I mean, when a movie casts a celebrity in a role just because this he/she is very famous right now, for the sake of hyping up the movie, it would be great if they can act, but most of them have zero emotions. And also movies that are full of VFX, forget the story, here's some awesome giant robot!

3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    I hate it when normal-ish series have so many completely unrealistic things happening. I do know that there needs to be something a bit out of the ordinary once in a while but when it's taken over the top it's just not good anymore. Take the TV series the following for example: the idea itself was great but having this guy who managed to brainwash EVERYONE is already stretching it. Then you have people disappearing from a house being surrounded by the FBI + SWAT + police officers just because they had two guys from the outside helping them etc. It just makes it painful to watch.

4. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Any movie that has nudity in it immediately puts me off a notch. I dislike movies to have nudity, makes the film look cheap and low budget. It's like the director didn't have confidence in its story that sex scenes need to be in it to attract people to watch.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I started watching The Walking Dead on a regular basis a couple of years ago, and one of the things that really drives me nuts with the series, is that there are some episodes that were completely pointless. You could literally have skipped them and you wouldn't have missed anything in terms of what's going on in the overall story line. I mean, I understand it can't be non-stop action every episode, and there needs to be some time devoted to character development and all, but there are long drawn out moments in the show that really serve no purpose. Considering the show is based off of a comic book, that already has the whole story line laid out for them - the work of writing it has already been done, they don't need to embellish the timeline of events with moments of pointless banter.

Also, and this is kind of related to my first complaint about the show, it's a freaking horror series - not All My Children or Days Of Our Lives, stop it with the freaking soap opera antics! It really kills the momentum and impact of the show when it goes off course into some petty corny love triangle hornball crap. If I'm getting attacked by zombies, and most of my friends were just brutally killed and eaten alive, the last thing I want to be doing while in the trenches fighting to stay alive myself is getting my groove on with someone while I'm covered in blood and guts and haven't bathed in days. Get real.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Plausibility is the key to creating something that everyone will enjoy.

A movie might be pure fiction but no matter how far-fetched the story is, if the writers do a good job and can have me believe what they're trying to portray can happen within the specific settings then I'll like that movie. If, however, the writers just do some sloppy writing and the directors don't seem to mind because they expect us to swim with the current [go along with raves, positive reviews, etc,.], hell, the moment I see something that doesn't feel right, I'll stop watching the movie.

7. RaidAurora

RaidAuroraMember

Threads:
    I have this incredible weakness to secondhand embarrassment. If a character on the screen is doing or saying something stupid or embarrasses themselves, I feel very strongly sympathetic for some reason and this can be awful enough to the point where I refuse to continue watching. This isn't always the case, I can sit through a lot of punishment, but Scott Pilgrim for example had me cringing for quite a while before one of the plot points was resolved.

8. Adryan

AdryanMember

Threads:
    I think more and more sequels of different movies and trying increase its story even though the result is same like in hangover. The first part was awesome but the second and especially the third part was not that good. I guess these sequels makes movie more boring and less exciting to watch!:)

9. Scottf13

Scottf13Member

Threads:
    The idiot ball, and those who run with it, are what grates on my nerves whenever I watch a movie. The idiot ball is basically something that is picked up by an idiot. Since the walking dead was mentioned.. I'll go ahead and bring out several idiot balls. (I love the show, but these things grated on my nerves!) Clothes, or lack thereof. Look people.. I get it.. you're on the run from the wandering cannibalistic dead. That's great... but if you are in the middle of a long hard winter.. why aren't you wearing coats? Georgia is not warm in the winter.

Further.. your primary enemies bite and claw at you. Why is there so much exposed skin? Ever think, "Gee, maybe I should cover up my arms a little.. or wear thick leather chaps or something." Hit up a freaking clothing store! You've gone by so many little towns and houses.. food might be scarce but get some coats you idiots.

10. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I hate movies where you can just tell what gonna happen next. I cant stand that and I hate a movie that just ends with a crazy ending. I think this is done to make sure you go see the next one come out cause it leaves you puzzled. It just makes me so mad to go see a movie and pay a pretty penny to see it. and the movie ends really crazy.

11. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I hate cliche stories, so if a film or TV show's story line is so expected, I tend to stop watching it.

I love shows that take me by surprise and surprise me with a script that is witty and well-written. I don't like shows that are so expected, because that makes it boring on my part.

I hate cliche love stories where the boy and girl simply get together in the end. I want big twists and happy, but unique endings. I don't want to watch a movie that I've practically seen before.

12. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    I like unexpected things to happen, I love creative writing and shows that are different than the rest, one's that stand out. So many TV shows are the same basic thing. For example, Psych, it's so funny and zany and I just love Sean and Gus how they interact together. The Walking Dead is my favorite TV show because the writing is so unique and you never know what's coming next. I like CSI, however it's always the same thing and there are so many of them. The "housewives shows" ugh, who needs to hear that crap over and over again. Even the Big Bang Theory is starting to get old and it's one of my favorite shows, however I am getting tired of the same old thing. With the Walking Dead, every week is a complete surprise.

As for movies, I really don't watch that many anymore. One of my favorite movies is Cabin in the Woods because it's started off like every other cliche horror movie ever made but then changed into something completely different. However, the very last scene was so ridiculous that it kind of ruined the whole thing. They should have cut that scene.

Also, I get so sick of happy endings, I like it when a good sad or horrible ending happens, it's so rare that when it does happen it's a surprise.

13. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate drama, I have enough of that in real life so I don't need dram in my movies, so if I am watching a movie and some complicated plot starts I lose interest and I might stop seeing it, I want to watch things to make me relax and not to make me worried.

14. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    I hate when Tv shows, such as sitcoms do not keep a constant story line. Sitcom story-lines tend to bounce all over the place. I hate when they set up an entertaining plot, only to abandon it in the next episode. I think the shows would be more balanced that way. Bouncing the story-line around becomes very annoying over time.

15. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I'm exactly like you and I thought that I'm the only person that feels like that when watching movies. I too feel embarrassed for no reason whenever the character does something embarrassing. Only thing is that I don't go to the extreme of not continue watching. I feel extra awkward when there are romantic scenes involved.

16. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know where to start. I sometimes think it's an insult to people to show certain things on TV. I worry that my brain will rot if I watch certain shows where people can win money by guessing numbers. I can't stand reality TV, the inane drivel from people who have nothing productive or creative to offer at all but their own self-indulgence.
    I hate "homogenised" movies where you know exactly what will happen next. And the list goes on and on...

17. Qualitycontent

QualitycontentMember

Threads:
    I dislike it when a movie ends and leaves you up in the air not knowing what happened. Here, you can hardly wait to see what happens next, and it seems like it ends in the middle of the movie when you want to keep on watching. I watch a movie to see the conclusion. I just feel let down when that happens. That is a bad movie to me. I end up wishing I never watched it in the first place.

18. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I hate sitcoms when they try to make off color remarks pass as jokes. Enough already. And the laugh track trying to insult my intelligence by telling me when something is funny. I know what's funny and what isn't. Making fun of somebody is not funny. Now being able to laugh at yourself, maybe. Call me old fashioned, but I prefer simple comedy where the situation itself was funny and the writers didn't have to work so hard to make us laugh.

19. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    One of the things that would really irk me with TV shows is how they would make the people's apartments or houses unrealistically extravagant and huge. Like the show Friends (not that I watched it regularly) or Seinfeld, an apartment that size at the location they were in would cost a small fortune - that's not something some twenty-somethings would ever be able to afford, even with roommates. Plus there was like $100k worth of furnishings in there.

I mainly only watch horror movies, but there are some things that really drive me nuts with those as well.

- The bathroom mirror scenes - stop it with this gag already. We all know that one moment nobody will be in the mirror, then they will open the medicine cabinet, and as soon as they close it someone will be suddenly behind them. It's not scary. You know it's going to happen, and it does, like clockwork, each and every time.

- The stupid "demon face" effect, the one where the persons eyes and mouth go completely black and they get this disgusted expression on their faces. This is bottom barrel special effects, kids have been doing this on Youtube for years. It looks fake as hell, and it's so incredibly overused is just about every horror movie these days.

- Speeding up the footage randomly. Why is this considered scary? It looks like some moron keeps hitting the fast forward button on the controller.

- Making monsters/villains "sexy". The Evil Dead remake did this big time and it was so annoying. Stop trying to sex up the characters so much, it's ridiculous.

20. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well aside from the How I Met Your Mother ending which was the biggest disappointment in TV ever, I still get sore about a show of mine that ended on a cliffhanger. Usually cliffhangers happen when the show is canceled in a short time but they can still go out with a bang. It's just no excuse. Also I don't know if this happens often but I don't like it sometimes when the main character of a TV show goes out with someone new for a long time because they can end up being unlikeable. I am of course referring to Sabrina the Teenage Witch which is my favorite TV show of all time. I liked Josh but Aaron was just awful and not in a love to hate way like Libby. A problem with Sabrina that I think actually happens enough times is when they just make things happen in a way that makes you think you missed episodes. Sabrina was supposed to be able to see her mother after two years but for some reason with this new Witches Council her mom still turned into a ball of wax. They never explained the thing with Zelda either. She was turned into a kid but the next time we saw her she was fine. Those things are miniscule though compared to not showing Harvey breaking up with her. I mean yeah it's an unpleasant thing as a lot of people love them together but how are we supposed to believe that he broke up with her just like that?