What Are You Currently Learning?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by wameyo • Apr 6, 2015.

1. wameyo

wameyoNew Member

Threads:
    Learning is a never-ending quest. For you to grow you have to constantly new things in your area of expertise. Be it business or work. What are you currently learning so as to improve on your area of expertise?

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like learning, and you're right learning doesn't stop, because otherwise we don't grow!

I recently got a "bit job" working for a local publication. I do their proofreading, and as I've never done it in a formal setup; I am learning the ropes, which I'm really enjoying. I'm hoping to also start learning how to drive soon!

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been doing some online courses that will help me apply for some other advanced courses that can lead to a change in career and other qualifications.

I also write, but as some texts are for a US audience, I have to adapt to the spelling and language which can be a challenge as I keep asking my US friends how they would say something. I'm also getting better at proofreading now and last year I hated semi-colons and now I use them.

4. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I am currently taking a short break, having been engrossed in learning Chinese and Afrikaans for a while now. I have a keyboard but it seems as if my chances of that are deteriorating as well with the amount of work that I am currently doing.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Same things I'm always learning. Human body, health/illness, nutrition, food. These are the things I've been consistent with for a long time, but I research about a billion and five things a day, so I can't really narrow it down to a few for you.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have currently learning Spanish full time and I'm also brushing up on my French language skills. I have been offered a job where I will be needing these languages, so I am highly motivated to improve my currently intermediate levels in both languages to a higher level.

7. jamiew23

jamiew23Member

Threads:
    I'm currently at university doing illustration but I must say this is my first year and I've not really learnt anything yet. Had a word with my tutors and hoping its going to get better soon :)

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm learning about plants that grow well indoors in low light because in my last apartment, I had outdoor plants but no houseplants. In my next place, I'd like to have houseplants because plants give life to a room and improve the air quality.
    I'm also learning how to make my own sauces, dressings and condiments at home. I'm also learning how to do a fake patina because I have some giant metal angel wings that I want to paint and hang on the wall.
    I'm not really doing any academic learning right now, just domestic stuff.

9. Megan888

Megan888Member

Threads:
    I am an avid reader. While I enjoy reading fiction and non-fiction alike, I often find that fiction keeps me researching even more than non-fiction. I read a fiction book and find something interesting in it that I didn't know about before. This leaves me hungry for more information and leads to research.

For example, I recently read Lisa Genova's "Left Neglected". This book talks about a condition, sometimes known as Left Neglect, that impacts your brain's ability to process information on your left side. While this was a fiction book, I found the illness very interesting and decided to look it up. I am now reading a non-fiction about left neglect and learning even more.

10. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I've always been a big music lover and at the moment I am trying to learn how to play the guitar. While I'm enjoying it its also a little frustrating as I don't have as much time to devote to it as I'd like.

Work and family life gets in the way, as I'm sure it does for a lot of people that take on a new challenge. While I've not set myself a target as such, I'd like to be able to say I'd know the basics and could see a lot of progress by the end of the year.

11. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSportsActive Member

Threads:
    I feel like whenever someone reaches a point where they do not want to garner and gather more knowledge, then they have stopped growing as a human being altogether. I am currently learning about older American literature, which is something that I most certainly thoroughly enjoy.

12. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I am learning two languages that are not my native tongue and attempting to do so without paying a lot of money to do it. However, the 2nd language French is not coming along as I had hoped so I am seriously considering paying for a class despite the expensive.

13. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I'm finishing up at a CC and hope to transfer to the state university next year. My major is business admin with a concentration in marketing. After graduation, I plan to take New Media classes at the university during summer and commercial photography in the fall.

14. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:
    I want to write and illustrate children's books. So I intend on taking some courses in the fall at the local university to help with that dream.

15. rikka

rikkaMember

Threads:
    Currently, I am learning photography. Though the Sony store where I bought my camera holds free Saturday sessions, I am too lazy to go to the store, so I end up doing self-study. Also, my mentor is the bookkeeper in the office.

Bokeh is what he told me to practice, and I think I got it nicely. The problem is focusing on manual mode. Also, I have a problem with ISO, especially when working with lights at night. If I stick to 100, the view on my screen is too dark. I also have a problem with manipulating the ISO in natural light, so I really need to practice and learn to get a good light.

I am also currently interested in polymer clay projects because I want to make still life for my photography sessions, and polymer clay accessories are what I want to specialize in still life. But because I don't have my own oven yet, and because I need to save money for polymer clay, I am practicing with ordinary modeling clay.

16. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    Software Engineering, the whole concept of it fascinates me and the structure of software and certain subjects within that topic is really nice. Graphics design, modelling and web design. A lot of interesting things.