What are you reading, and how are you reading it?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Jake • Sep 2, 2014.

1. Jake

JakeActive Member

Threads:
    I do not recall the last time I visited a book store or a library. It was so long ago, and thanks to the internet I now consume most of my reading material online or through the Kindle app. I occasionally buy books through Amazon only if it is recommended by someone I know. Electronic versions of books are a lot more easy on my budget. I'd like to know what you guys are reading and on what format.

I am currently reading The Count of Monte Cristo on Kindle and a physical copy of The Telling Room. What about you?

2. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I'm reading Cosmos by Carl Sagan, and I'm reading a physical copy.
    I haven't read a single book on a digital device yet... And I don't plan to start any time soon...

As far as book stores and libraries go... Yeah, those are history.
    Amazon all day, every day!!!

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't had much time to read lately, but sometimes when I have a little pocket of free time, I read the hardcover book Idoru by William Gibson. It's a sci fi book about digital virtual idols who are worshiped by fans but don't exist in physical form. It's like he predicted Miku Hatsune even though this book predates Vocaloid.

4. dannyluke1

dannyluke1Active Member

Threads:
    I still prefer reading an actual book than reading it from a computer or tablet. There's the added experience of holding the book in your hands and smelling the pages. These, you might say, are trivial but they are very important to me. Reading an actual book makes the experience more personal and in effect more enjoyable. I'm currently reading the memoir Reading Lolita in Tehran.

5. maxparker0

maxparker0Member

Threads:
    I dont really enjoy reading books on my tablet or mobile phone. I prefer reading paperback, hardcover copied instead. And currently, I'm reading Lord of the rings. I got it from a nearby library. So yeah, I do go to the library.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    At the moment I am reading a book on medical acupressure. I often visit book stores, especially second-hand ones. I also like going to book fairs and go through the boxes of books at garage sales and thrift stores. Even though I have a tablet with an e-reader installed, I don't use it very often. I like the feeling and smell of real books.

7. Timetrvlr

TimetrvlrMember

Threads:
    I'm reading "Dewitts Strike" by Greg Hunt on my Kobo reader. I've just discovered Greg Hunt as an author and he is pretty good so I've just downloaded all five of his books from Smashwords. He has written other books but apparently they are not in ePub format yet.

Since I've retired, I have lots of time to indulge in my favorite hobby, reading. I average about four books a week so buying them all in large print hardback format would be ruinously expensive. So I'm an avid library patron, I've gone through their large print selection four times now and I'm not finding anything new there. So I turned to eReaders and eBooks because I can select the size of print I want to read in and there are so many on-line bookstores to peruse and books are so much less expensive. Also, our Provincial Library System has a great selection of eBooks that can be borrowed for three weeks. Then I found Smashwords, a site for new authors or sometimes old authors who prefer the better money they can get from reprinting their previously published works. Smashwords even has a wide selection of free books by new authors and why not download free books? If I read a dozen pages and it doesn't interest me, I can delete it with no regrets at having wasted money.

8. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm currently reading Phantoms by Dean Koontz and I'm reading it through my Kindle app on my iPhone. I'm halfway through the book and it's really good. No wonder Koontz really has a reputation of bringing some really scary and thrilling books. This is the first time I've read his books and I'm really enjoying it. The dude has a knack for a great storytelling.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also haven't had the time to read or watch movies, but I'm reading the first Twilight ebook when I have time. I have watched the 3 Twilight movies, so it would be interesting to see if the book is better than the movie or vice versa.

10. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I'm currently reading "Basic Economics" by Thomas Sowell. It's a big book with a lot information to digest so its taking a while to get through it. It's basically a run down of the different philosophies in economics, the basics of economics, the origins of economics, and the consequences of certain economic policies on real flesh and blood human beings. It takes things beyond the abstract and brings them down to a level where the average person can understand them. I'd definitely recommend this book.

11. spacetimecontinuum

spacetimecontinuumMember

Threads:
    I'm reading The Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole, it is brilliant. I'm reading it in the traditional book way, I don't like reading books on devices, it bothers my eyes, plus I like the physical act of turning pages and so forth, I find this infinitely more satisfying than staring at a harsh screen.

12. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    Currently reading some Vince Flynn novels. If you're not familiar with him, he writes thrillers that are related to terrorism and a covert CIA agent Mitch Rapp. They are quick page turners. I don't typically read a lot of fiction but I definitely enjoy this guys novels. Unfortunately he passed away from cancer a couple of years ago. So their won't be anymore novels from him in the Mitch Rapp series.

13. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a lot of pending books as we speak. Let me just limit my current reading list to two: Blind Woman, Sleeping Willow by Haruki Murakami and The Templar Legacy by Steve Berry. I am in the process of finishing The Fault in our Stars and sad to say I'm no longer the focused reader I once was in my younger days. I read two to three stories simultaneously. That's how I read books (and this is just a passing phase).

14. joyful728

joyful728Active Member

Threads:
    I am reading an 11th grade class work of finely crafted literature that is sure to influence me for the rest of my life. JUST KIDDING. Currently I am reading "Pride Over Pity" which was written by Kailyn Lowry, who is on the hit reality show, "Teen Mom." I know, I know. It is sad that I am 37 years of age and reading a book about the life of a teen mom. However, I do feel that I can apply it to using social work skills later in life. She was neglected by her alcoholic mother and essentially raised herself in many ways. My heart really goes to her. Reading books like these make me grateful for the many blessings I have, and when I'm tempted to complain over something really STUPID ( like not be able to afford a new pair of shoes), I read books like these.