What Are Your Favorite Healthy Snacks?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by hellavu • Feb 1, 2015.

1. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    And I don't mean just "on the go" snacks that come in a package. I'm talking, you are at home and it's not time for breakfast, lunch or dinner, so you have to curb your appetite somehow, and making a complete meal is too troublesome.

What do you use to settle your stomach without that it's completely unhealthy (like chips or candy)? Do you sometimes prepare stuff like noodle salads or couscous mixes or any pre-arranged dish to serve as a snack?

2. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    My to go snacks are plain ole dried nuts, dried fruits, and dried seaweed. I stray away from unhealthy stuff like chips and sweet snacks, they give me headaches and hurts my teeth. I like eating mostly dry nuts because its nutritional and helps me chew on something when I'm bored.

3. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Something fruity and mildly sweet helps to make the hunger pangs go away. Try having an apple, a small handful of grapes or some prunes?

4. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I generally like munching on roasted or salted nuts. I usually go for cashews, almonds or walnuts. I can't eat too many nuts though, but I'll get sick. :oops: I also keep multi-grain crackers on hand to snack on, or some sort of healthy green bar. ;)

5. steph7h

steph7hActive Member

Threads:
    I would say cheese sticks, yogurt, granola bars, a piece of fruit like an orange or a banana, or a peanut butter sandwich are my go to snacks right now. I usually don't want to put a lot of effort into a snack, and those options are things I usually have around the house anyway.

6. blues

bluesMember

Threads:
    I love fruits as snacks. Fruit smoothies with veggies are also pretty up there too! All you have to do is throw in some kind of veggie and whatever fruits you like. Usually, I just throw in enough fruit that I can barely test the veggies anymore, but there's some recipes on the net that allow for a more better "blended" smoothie? Not too sure what word I'm trying to convey, but I think you get my meaning...maybe? Another thing I've been loving are sweet potatoes! I typically eat it for lunch or breakfast or even a snack, depending on how large the potato is. It's super nutritious and yummy and easy to prepare on top of that!

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My main ones are nuts of all kinds too. But because they're very pricey, I've taken to having fruit and raw veg these day. I also like to make smoothies. I just chuck together some random fruits and veggies, what I have in the fridge in the smoothie maker and voila, beautiful smoothie is born. To jazz my smoothies up a little, I sometimes throw in a dollop or two of frozen yoghurt, and that really improves on the taste :) Plus it's ever so filling!

8. selina

selinaMember

Threads:
    Normally I prefer fruits as healthy snacks but eating same type of fruit every day can get bit monotonous and so I choose different fruits. Sometimes I also like to have dark chocolates covered with almonds and cheese is also one of best healthy snacks.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I like pea pod chips as substitute for potato chips. It's still not a total substitute but it's good enough for me to satisfy my cravings and once in a whle I'll just try to eat those instead of regular potato chips even though I still indulge from time to time. Also, I think cheese or vegetable pizza should also be real actively healthy as long as the right oils and ingredients are used.

10. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    One of my favourite healthy snacks is chopping a tomato up into small pieces and sprinkling hot chilli spices on it. I love banana smoothies also. Making healthy smoothies with low fat milk I love doing as a snack.

11. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    Cottage cheese for sure. You can add anything to it to make it savory or sweet, plus it's packed with tons of protein and good fats to help keep you full. I still can't believe I didn't like cottage cheese before :p

12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Fruit salad, frozen yogurt and carrot shake would top my favorite healthy snacks list. What I like about these snacks is that they can trigger peristalsis, facilitating the discharge of waste from your body. Fiber-rich snacks are highly recommended particularly for individuals with constipation and other digestion problems.

13. vivivivicky

vivivivickyNew Member

Threads:
    It depends on if I am in the mood for something salty and savory versus something more sweet. For a salty snack, I usually go for a soft cheese, like the Laughing Cow brand mini wedges of cheese, with some carrots or some crackers. Since it is winter, my go to sweet snack has been clementines, delicious! I do tend to make some homemade dips as well (making large batches of the dry ingredients for a dill dip or onion dip) and just mix it with fat free greek yogurt for an easy to grab snack.

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Whatever is in my kitchen. If healthy snacks are actually healthy (actual foods), then it doesn't matter what you choose or how much you eat and everything in my kitchen is truly healthy and already my fave so.. pretty much everything lol. Obviously for snacking, we go for the quickest thing, so I suppose it would be veggies and dip or something along those lines. Fruit is always my go to though.. can't get quicker or yummier :)

15. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    I really enjoy cottage cheese for a healthy snack and this is one of my favorites. I would also pick vegetables, fruit, and nuts. Mostly any healthy food can be a yummy snack. Another healthy snack I like is applesauce and also peanut butter on whole grain bread.

16. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I am so in love with Snapea Crisps & Lentil Crisps:

03_15_13_snapeacrisps_71.

They are amazing! Everything you're looking for in a potato chip but much lighter & MUCH more flavourful. I found them when I signed up for Love with Food (An organization that sends you organic and all-natural products & feeds hungry children in the process). It was the best snack I have had in a while.

Attached Files:

17. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to take a yogurt and mix granola cereal into the yogurt, it is filling and healthy. This snack gives you calicum and fiber which are good for you. It is better than eating a cookie and ice cream. Some times I have this for breakfast also, I will eat this anytime during the day.

18. galmal

galmalMember

Threads:
    My favorite healthy snack is a good sweet, crisp apple sliced thinly with a slice of cheddar cheese and a handful of walnuts. I really like the sweetness of the apple, with the savory sharpness of the cheese. Another great snack is a cup of milk, served over ice, with vanilla and a packet of sweetener. I like to have this after working out. The ice makes the milk thicker, almost like a milkshake.

A quick and easy smoothie makes a good snack - I blend 1 cup of blueberries, 1 cup of non-fat buttermilk and 1-2 packets of sweetener. Blend until smooth - it tastes just like blueberry cheesecake.