What are your favorite spices?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Allison2021 • Nov 22, 2014.

1. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    A friend of mine mentioned she most often uses McCormick Spices. Those made me reconsider using name brand spices. Recently, I have been using off brand spices because of it cost less. However, McCormick offers a much better quality.
    My favorite McCormick Spices are sage, and bay leaves. Those two spices make meats, soups and casseroles taste better. I generally use sage with pork. Sometimes I use it when roasting beef. I always use bay leaves in chicken dishes. :D
    I have been seeking printable coupons as of this past week. The use of those coupons should lower the overall price of the spices.

McCormick Spices is looking to expand their database for their McCormick Consumer Testing. You have an opportunity to do surveys, test products and participate in focus groups.
    Please anyone feel to use this link.

2. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    For some reason I can't tell the difference between name brand and off brand. I use both and I've never been able to say positively that one makes my food taste better and one makes it taste like bleh.

I think the only "spice" I would use in the name brand is something exotic like himalayan salt or something like that. Otherwise for everything else I'd be happy using off brand and not worry about how it will change the quality of my cooking.

3. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Salt, Pepper, Powdered Garlic, and Powdered Onion. No need for brand name. I just mix those together and I have my own homemade seasoning salt that works great with everything.

4. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really see a need to pay a premium for brand name spices. They all taste the same to me. In addition I tend to grow my own herbs, so I have no need for bay leaves or basil since I always have the fresh variant at hand.

5. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I love McCormick spices. They have everything I need! I love their cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne, burger mix, etc. :) They are also more affordable compared to the other brands in the supermarket I go to often.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy branded spices, usually a generic one or from the dollar store. You can usually tell from the glass container what they may be like, for example I have a hot chilli and sea salt mix in a grinder I got from the dollar store and it's great. I rarely use them all up as I had a spice rack and then forgot to use them!

Sea salt tends to be good quality whichever brand you get, it's the container and packaging you pay for.

7. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    I like oregano on my pizza. I like freshly grated parmesan cheese on my pasta and I like salt on my french fries. I want to actually learn how to make home made French Fries but I doubt they taste like McDonald's. And who has the time !?

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like McCormick but can't always afford them so I buy Badia spices sometimes. Not only are Badia spices cheaper but they sell some spices in small plastic bags so that you don't have to buy a whole container if you just need a little bit.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I read that McCormick spices contain GMO ingredients, along with many other brand name spices. Apart from that they, according to my sources of information, also get irradiated, which is a process where bulk or packaged food passes through a radiation chamber on a conveyor belt. The food does not come into contact with radioactive materials, but instead passes through a radiation beam, like a large flashlight. Cobalt-60 is the most commonly used radionuclide for food irradiation. However, there are also large cesium-137 irradiators.
    I would recommend to switch to organic herbs and spices, that you either grow at home or buy at a health food store.

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can vouch for McCormick products as well. I've been using them for decades now. My mom used to bake cakes and she always bought McCormick Vanilla Extract or Cinnamon, which was then added to the cake batter. We buy vanilla once in a while to whip up cheesecakes. Other McCormick spices that I love to keep buying are Cayenne Pepper and Mixed Herbs. I need further evidence before I make conclusions on GMO ingredients.

11. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I do not have a particular brand I like to use, but I do use spices in my cooking regularly, I love Indian influenced cooking and use a wide range of spices for these sorts of meals. I would prefer to use more fresh spices, but they don't really sell them in the area I live in.

12. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite spices to use are garam masala, berbere, basil, turmeric, parsley, coriander, cumin, curry, ginger, and garlic. I like using mostly fresh herbs, but when I do use dried herbs, I mostly use Natco brand or Rajah brand. Most dried spices here either come from the UK, India, South Africa, or Lebanon. I have never used McCormick brand and I am not sure that they would be appealing to me. I like really authentic spices.

13. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not really picky on brands for my spices, but I love curry powder, garlic salt, ginger, parsley and cilantro in particular. I like to have a lot of spices on hand when our budget allows for it, I'm thinking of having a little kitchen herb garden starting up soon to help with fresh herbs :).

14. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Always looking to save. For spices that are used a lot I compare the cost of 'brand' name spices to that of a generic brand and get the biggest container that I can find for that same price. I save a lot because the spice last longer like - cinnamon, nutmeg, pepper seeds. Now, if I see a spice carrying a brand name that's on sale or there is a coupon I'll buy it but I won't pay full price for a name brand spice.

15. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    5 Spice, kosher or sea salt, black pepper, oregano, turmeric, cayenne, paprika, cinnamon, and sometimes I use garlic salt. I usually go for price over quality, because it's only ingredients and they're not made that different from one another, and it's how one uses it that matters most. One thing I acknowledge very well now is that without spices, a lot of food people cook would just taste bland and be like English food, yuck!

16. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974Member

Threads:
    If you are asking what brand, I use dried herbs from a spice rack I bought a few years ago. If I am out of something then I usually go with the name brand Tones. There is a Tones plant not too far from here (and you can smell for miles). My favorite herbs are oregano and basil. I put it in pastas, chili, soup and northern beans. Those two spices pair really well together.

17. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I only buy bulk spices. I can't afford to get brand name spices. My favorite is cinnamon, that is the spice I use most often. My favorite scent is cardamom, but it has fairly limited use.

18. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I love curry powder. I once found a good one that I put in a lot of my dishes even as just an accent but unfortunately I've never been able to remember or find that product name again. As for McCormick spices, my favorite one is hamburger seasoning. I love putting it into a lot of my dishes and it gives off a good undertone of flavor that's very hard to pinpoint but it adds a layer of goodness to my dishes.