What are your rules about re-gifting?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by True2marie • May 19, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Obviously, re-gifting is a great way to save money on presents. Yet, there is an art and skill to mastering even it. For me, I never regift anything that's expired or collected a lot of dust. I also am sure to keep track of who I received the gift from originally as to not give this individual the item back.

What are your rules? Or, do you re-gift at all?

[​IMG]

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    1. Never re-gift to the same person. If you're not sure, just don't risk it.

2. Never re-gift something that the next person is going to want to re-gift. Meaning.... if the person will actually appreciate it and use it, then re-gift it! But don't give them something just to get it out of your pile.

3. Never re-gift an item that had sentimental value from the person who gave it to you and that they'd be hurt if they found out you didn't hold onto it.

3. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I don't re-gift and never would. I don't know why but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. If I couldn't afford a gift I would rather just give a card, bake something, or just call the person over giving them something I received but don't want. I don't necessarily keep things I receive and don't like, but I don't re-gift because I much prefer to just let the person who wants it have it as opposed to waiting for an occasion to gift it.

4. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't re-gift often so I don't have many rules, just one, namely - don't re-gift used, no matter the condition of the item. And here I'm thinking about clothes in particular. I think it's in bad taste to gift someone your used clothes. For bigger items/electronics, like a TV or a gaming console, re gifting used is ok. Those items cost a lot anyway so you save some cash for both yourself and the receiver.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The last I did some re-gifting, I gave away the gift the moment I got it. Since the recipient was with me, all I did was hand it over and tell her, "this if for you."

Since then I haven't re-gifted anything because to be honest, I don't buy gifts these days or send any to anyone even if I was able to craft something on my own.

6. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I never re-gift those items which have sentimental value or which are rather unique. If it's let's say a body wash or a perfume and I have a lot already, I would just regift it right away. If I store them for a long time, I'm sure they'll get old and not fit to use anymore. I would not want to waste it that way.

Also, I would not regift it if it's from someone who may find out I did so. For example, a gift from my husband or mother or siblings may not be a good idea to regift as they may see I'm doing so and they may get hurt.

7. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I only re-gift gifts given to me which don't suit me. I only do it to those that I still find suitable to be given as a gift, those that are not yet worn-off and those that still look very new and beautiful and not those ones that is obviously just not have been used and just stashed somewhere for a long time. I don't give I a gift to give. I do because of the meanings that I want to convey with the gift. So if I don't find ones that will suit for the meaning I want to convey, then I find no point to make it as a gift. I would just buy a new one.