What are your thoughts on Pyrex?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by brutal37138 • Nov 29, 2013.

1. brutal37138

brutal37138Member

Threads:
    I've heard that sometime in the recent past that Pyrex changed their formula for their glass and it breaks really easily. I have a mixture of old and newer pyrex, has anyone else had problems with their pans cracking or breaking?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure if this is entirely a fault of Pyrex specifically, but rather a larger problem with glass as a whole. I saw a news segment a couple weeks ago that was showing how glass items in people's homes were exploding for no apparent reason, even without being heated. For one guy, his glass bowl sink in his bathroom exploded. For another lady, it was her shower door which shattered out of the blue.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I recently dropped a Pyrex bowl a short distance, like a foot or two, and was surprised when it shattered. I've dropped regular glass or ceramic and had it not break. Pyrex seems weaker these days.

4. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I have always thought that Pyrex dishes were great but haven't had any new ones recently. I have never had one break or had any problems with my Pyrex dishes. It's a shame that such a good brand seems to have let it's quality slide. They are quite expensive so you would expect them to be shatter resistant.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have got some pyrex dishes that are over 5 years old and they still don't show many signs of wear and tear, despite of me using them a lot. I love cooking in glass, especially when it comes to backing. I prefer it to other cooking ware. It just appeals to me to see every step of the cooking process through the glass. I find it to be a very clean and enjoyable way of preparing my food.

6. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    I would agree that something has changed with Pyrex, I bought a pot set that contained Pyrex lids, The largest lid cracked along the lip edges in tiny little shards. I had to throw what I was cooking out. these were little tiny pieces, and I am not sure why it would crack off like that, it was as if the glass was perhaps spun in a mold and all the pieces did not adhere. There was nothing visible to make one think this could happen. You would not eat the food because that because the glass is clear and it was almost impossible to see it. makes me made because I had to throw out a whole pot of food.

I have several other Pyrex brand casserole dishes and lids. I have the whole baking set. This was the first time I ever had a problem with this brand, I have used Pyrex for years. I don't mind telling you this disappointed me so much I will go with Corning Ware next time.

7. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I have very old pieces of Pyrex that I acquired from family members that have passed on. Has anyone thought to write to Pyrex regarding these incidences? I most certainly would if it were me. Pyrex has a very high reputation to uphold and I would bank that there would be some compensation if complaints start pouring in.

8. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I have a set of pyrex bowl which I bought long time ago (about 7 years). Thankfully, they are still in mint condition. I even accidentally dropped it a couple of times but it didn't break. I am planning of buying another set, but I am a bit hesitant because the quality is not the same as before.