What are your thoughts on Solar panels for your home?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Deeme • May 6, 2013.

1. Deeme

DeemeNew Member

Threads:
    I have been doing a lot of research on installing Solar panels on roofs and in the yard lately, But seems that it will probably need a lot of maintenance depending on what the weather is like. I am also concerned on what might happen when it snows? I don't think the solar panels would get any energy from the sun if they are covered with snow. I live in Canada and recently I have been reading about the Canadian government have been giving out grants to home and business owners for this project, I also know that if anyone were to power a house with solar panels and other free energy methods that you wouldn't be getting bills from the hydro company, You would be getting checks for supplying energy which means that your power meter is going back words!
    I was considering doing this to my home, But I think I will just wait and see how much the free energy world can improve first.
    On another note..., There is a scientist in Isrial that has invented a type of solar panel that is the size of a laptop that has a dish (like a satellite dish) with over 200 little mirrors all directing the sunlight to the center which is water cooled which also provides hot water. I'm not sure if I can link in here yet, But I can get the news report if anyone is interested.

2. MrsR

MrsRMember

Threads:
    I have also been doing research on solar panels and from what I've read, it sounds like a very good idea. From what I understand, I don't think that they require any maintenance once they are up. I do know that the sun needs to be shining so that you can get the solar power. On days that the sun isn't shining, you would have to use regular electricity. Here in the United States, the government gives out some kind of grants too if you put solar panels on your house. The solar panels are kind of expensive to buy, but they would soon pay for themselves and you really would save money on electric.

3. Deeme

DeemeNew Member

Threads:
    Well I'm pretty sure there will always be maintenance on anything that is outside. I know that with solar panels some components can over heat and short out from the sun and the whole panel can crack from excessive weight from snow or a tree branch falling, But if you learn how to repair them yourself instead of buying a whole new panel can save a person a lot of money! Also I'm pretty sure the solar panel charges up a battery that your electricity is stored and powers your home I'm not exactly sure. I do know of a guy who supplies his home with clean filtered hot/cold water and solar energy and was in the news paper for making the hydro and water company remove there services completely off his property because he simply didn't need anymore! There was a big case about it and I will post the story if I can find it. Kind of wondering if he knew that he would be getting money for supplying electricity instead of removing it completely?

4. Aquila

AquilaBanned

Threads:
    Its good normally for the warmer areas where sun light can be dealt goodly and have a right affect anyhow i guess it can be used for all over especially offices so that we do not get any sort of interruption and that have a way of improvement.

5. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    These solar panels are becoming cheaper by the year. Last year we inquired about a 2x3 meter panel that cost around $25, now its down to $20. Will wait until it's mainstream and have those installed in the house. This way, servicing would be really quick since many would know how to troubleshoot them already. Perhaps next year.

6. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    In my area, it's a good and bad idea for some. The bad part is that real estate is really high and seldom do people stay in their homes 20-30 years anymore. However, it is mostly sunny and seldom overcast during the day. I've seen a few use portable panels that help to save on their power bill instead of getting them installed professionally.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think solar technology has reached it's full potential yet and I'm personally going to wait a while longer before I dive into it. I'm waiting for them to become cheaper and a lot more efficient, and as you've mentioned they are still making more discoveries. I'm mostly waiting for them to become more mainstream which is what I consider to be a good indicator for when they are already good enough for mass consumption.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Solar energy can be cheap if you live around the equator where they get the sun all the year round.

In places like Canada, I suppose if you all you want to do is save some money, especially around summer time, then you can try using solar panels which you can remove from the roof when winter rolls in. I'm sure you'd save a bit of money on electricity bills.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Solar energy to heat the house is cheaper than the electricty I know and often wonder if the cost will justify the additional bills. Last winter was so cold for so long if it maybe time to start thinking about that cost again. You are paying for it is just who are you paying and how much.

10. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    The issue with installing solar panels is that they just aren't cost effective whatsoever to install and it takes a long time to actually recoup your money with energy savings. Read a study that it costs up to $50k to install and takes about 10 years for your to save money on energy bills. It's a great idea for everyone to use solar energy, but we need to get to a point where it's cost effective for everyone to use it.