What are your three most memorable classical books you've read?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by valiantx • Nov 18, 2014.

1. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    My three books are:

Homer's "The Iliad," which was one hard book to read and left me confused for many years.

Lao Tsu's "Dao De Ching," a wonderful masterpiece I dare never to compare my writing to be up to par with it in my lifetime.

J.R.R. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings," one of the most mind-engaging books I have ever read and have reread throughout the years.

2. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    My 3 most memorable ones? Hmmm...

It's kinda hard to say because English isn't my first language so when I was little I was still learning English, which means when the Harry Potter series came out I didn't read it and get into it like other people have because my English wasn't up to par.

I gotta say though, it would have to be:

"Because of Winn Dixie"
    "Where the Red Fern Grows"
    and any book by the author Avi

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Where The Red Fern grows is one of my favorites too.

Anyway the three best classic books I've read are:

Alice In Wonderland — I like Lewis Carrol. His facility at word play is superb. Probably the only Mathematician who could write.

Jane Eyre.

To Kill a Mocking Bird.

There are many more but the three books I've listed, have some great characters who'll get me to read the book over and over and . . .

#3Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ah, thank you for asking. Let me take a trip down memory lane and recall those classics I read. Here are my top three classical novels:

1. Song of Roland
    This was a tragic story of a devoted and exemplary knight in Charlemagne's army and how he was killed during the battle of Battle of Roncevaux.
    2. The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
    Set in China around the time of Boxer Rebellion and Opium war, this novel chronicles the life of a young farmer, rise to the top and the struggles he and his family went through for the sake of keeping their home land.
    3. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
    I had a good time reading this novel. It's full of wit and charm. The author's sense of the romantic includes a subtle criticism on London society and the labels it placed on women. The main characters have great chemistry too and Jane Austen successfully portrayed their contrasting personalities and eventual happy ending.

5. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    1. Sign of a Beaver - I read it when I was younger and was engrossed by the concept of a young boy learning survival skills and fending for himself. I really connected myself with the character.

2. The Hobbit - I read this book so quickly so I had to tell myself to slow down, and enjoy this masterpiece.

3. Any of the Hardy Boys books - Again, this was a huge part of my youth, and I really looked up to the Hardy Boys, and their ability to solve the mysteries.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most of my favorites are classics, but here are the ones that I can read over and over again;
    1. The Prince - Niccolo Machiavelli,
    2. The Magician's Nephew (all of the Narnia books)-C.S. Lewis
    3. To Kill a Mockingbird-Harper Lee

I also read them all at school, so what you read at school can influence you heavily for the rest of your life.

7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    My top three favorite classic novels would be:

1. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger - It's my ultimate favorite book of all time and I love Holden Caulfield so much. I can relate to him, specially when I was a teenager.

2. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee - I'm in love with the plot of this book. I love Atticus, Jeremy, and Jean. The characters are so funny and very likable. As far as I know, Harper Lee is finally going to release the sequel of this epic novel. I couldn't wait for that.

3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald - This is an amazing book. I love tragic stories and this is a good example of that genre. I totally admire Jay Gatsby's love for Daisy. It's really a sad ending though.

8. DejiK

DejiKMember

Threads:
    My three books are:

1) Goodnight Mister Tom by Michelle Magorian. Beautiful story showcasing the best and worst of the human psyche.

2) Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela. I'm not going to do it any disservice by offering a description, all I can say is that we were all privileged to be alive when he lived.

3) Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Michael Pirsig. Its a study of Quality primarily. But since I read it, it has become a life bible. Not a self help book by any description, just a book that really helps to make sense of what is around us and how best to harness our environments and minds.

9. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    1. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov - really good character piece, and the author makes good job making a character that you at least understand, if not sympathize with sometimes
    2. 1984 by George Orwell - A well though-out, visionary classic, pretty chilling in hindsight.
    3. Junky by William Burroughs - really a tie between this and A Clockwork Orange. Junky is great for explaining the ways and culture of age that gave us some classic art, which helps you understand those works retroactively. Also, Burroughs' works are probably the best anti-drug material ever, because he writes about the drug use completely neutrally, making the horrors of addiction that much more hard-hitting.

10. Beautyspin

BeautyspinMember

Threads:
    I read Anna Karenina. It was emotionally draining by the time I finished the book. I was too young when I read it.
    I started but could not finish Pride and Prejudice for some reason and have never tried it again.
    Catch 22 was a book I really liked for its circuitous logic. I could only read it once and I can't bring myself to read it again though.
    David Copperfield, Gulliver's Travels etc., - I read the abridged versions. Now I know the story so I cannot bring myself to read the originals..
    I have read a few PG Wodehouse novels.
    Ivanhoe - I liked a lot. Fantastic descriptions.
    Count of MonteChristo - a fantastic book.
    I know I have given more than three but I have missed many more.

11. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    The three most memorable books I have read:

1. Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë: The drama is really just so severe.
    2. Moby Dick by Herman Melville: There was a huge whale.
    2. Insomnia by Stephen King: Taught me the importance of breathing.

I decided to include Insomnia by Stephen King because it is already necessary to consider King's works as a classic in his genre. The other two are memorable because they were painfully entertaining when I read them.