What Book Are you Reading Right Now?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by tulosai • Jan 9, 2015.

1. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    What book(s) are you reading right now? Did you buy them or get them from the library or a friend? Are you reading them in book form or ebook form?

Right now I'm reading Landline by Rainbow Rowell- it's very good, I can't put it down! I got it from the library in hardcover format.

2. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I'm halfway through reading A Game of Thrones. I started it last year in September and had to stop for a while because of finals, but I picked it up again recently. It's definitely one of the best books I have read and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of it.

3. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    I am currently reading The Boys in the Boat. I am about halfway through it now, great book! It's about the USA rowing team going into the Berlin Olympic games in 1936. It does a great job of bouncing between the main characters, and giving their back story, as well as the propaganda machine that was Germany leading up to the 1936 games, and ultimately, WW2.

I am reading the Ebook version.

4. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I'm trying to finish a book I've been reading for some time, 'The Ribbon Weaver' by Rosie Goodwin. I really like it alot but have been super busy with moving and so it's taking me forever. The story covers the life of a young girl who was rescued from the snow as a baby. She grows up to be a gifted ribbon weaver. (The details of the time period and the work she does are very enlightening.) There is a love story and some mystery about why she was found. I haven't gotten to the end yet so I don't know if it ends well but so far so good.

5. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    As of the moment, I'm reading a book entitled "The Four-Hour Workweek" by Tim Ferris. It's a best-seller that teaches those who want to escape from the 9-5 work hour trap that most of us experience. I downloaded an ebook instead of a hardbound copy because an ebook costs way less, and I usually bring my tablet with me at all times that's why I get to read everytime I'm free. The book has tips on how to automate our daily lives which will help us in reducing the number of hours we spend on the things that don't matter. Instead, the book helps us focus more on the work that matters so that we'll reach our goals.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I started reading a book at the library called As You Wish. It was written by actor Cary Elwes and is about the making of The Princess Bride.
    It's interesting to learn more about an old favorite movie of mine. I just wonder why he waited so long to write the book.
    It's kind of an old movie at this point.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm reading an adventure book titled "Adrift In The Wild." Since I've read only part of the book, I can't share the synopsis. But so far the book certainly is quite interesting. Two boys going back home, their ship is wrecked and they're left stranded on a strange coast . . .

8. rikka

rikkaMember

Threads:
    I'm currently reading "Cashflow Quadrant" by Robert Kiyosaki. I don't know with you, but I think this book is for someone who is serious in getting rich. Or, if I have to scratch the "getting rich part," this book is for someone who wants to make his money work for him instead of this person always working for money. Let's face it. We all have the desire to be rich, or if not, to be well-off without having any headache on dealing with being unable to pay our bills.

In this book, Robert Kiyosaki challenges a lot of conventional wisdom, such as "the house is an asset." Yes, emotionally, I will consider the house as an asset because the house sees my pains and my joys, and keeps me safe and warm when I am sick. However, I begin to understand what he meant by the house being a liability rather than an asset. I'd rather leave the details out because I don't want to make a novel out of it here in the forum.

I am almost through with the book. I consider this book as something that you may not read all in one sitting because, just like in a class, you have to digest what you read.

9. RobertNick

RobertNickMember

Threads:
    The Sixth Extinction by Elizabeth Kolbert

Elegantly composed, educated. She's a writer, so knows how to keep her peruser intrigued by now and again rather itemized exploratory material. Switches up pleasantly to keep things energetic. Brimming with fascinating individual/proficient however not cloying stories. Not converting, you are left to make your own inferences, your own particular sentiments. I'm ~1/2 through it.

Water 4.0 by David Sedlak

He's an educator, and I trust it's his first book for mainstream utilization. Not as enthralling as the other book. Then again, this book is giving me data I have never experienced about things that are basic to human development: usable water and the issues concerning waste. It's both chronicled and exploratory. I'm around 25% into it. He begins with the Romans and takes it from that point to the present time and extrapolates, clarifying where things can go from here.

10. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I just finished reading Napoleon Hills "Think and Grow Rich," one of the best finance and self-help books ever written in my opinion.

Currently, I am reading Dan Pena's "Your First 100 Million," and it's already changing many of my presumptions and perspectives about being a entrepreneur. I'm also reading another book by Will Durant called "The Lessons of History."

11. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Right now I'm a little over halfway done with Brave New World. I also started reading Naked Lunch, after liking both Junky and Queer (even though Queer was not as good). Preparing to read Hakagure after that.

12. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I'm getting at the end of "Enfance" (Childhood), a Russian novel by Gorki. I bought it at a used-book-fair in my university; when I'm done with it (few pages), I'll just move to some other used book I purchased in the last few months!

13. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm currently reading a dystopian novel called The Darkest Minds. I just started reading this book actually so I'm still getting to know the characters and the main plot of the story. So far, the book is well written and there's sass on the author's part. :p

14. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am currently re-reading To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. It's one of my backlogs from last year so I find it wasteful to pick up a new book when I haven't even completed my 2014 reading list (oh, shame on me). I plan to read A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy after this (crossing my fingers).

15. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    I LOVE books I can hold and turn pages. LOL BUT, an ebook will also do if it's what I can buy. A former "tutoree" recommended the Nines book from Janet Evanovich. I read it and enjoyed it so I started reading the One book recently. I had just finished the whole Divergent series including the Four books which, although, the ending was a little disappointing, was an enjoyable series. So far, I like the Evanovich character, but I prefer Sue Grafton's main character (I've read up to "I") to her.