What book has really sucked you in?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by PurpleWasabi • Jul 30, 2012.

1. PurpleWasabi

PurpleWasabiNew Member

Threads:
    I'm not a big reader, but when I find a good read, I can't put it down. I can no longer seem to find anymore of these books and this saddens me. Every time I brows around the bookstore, I can't find anything that can really hold my attention. Can anyone recommend a book that has really sucked you in?

2. dreyz

dreyzMember

Threads:
    It depends on what your interests are. I do agree that most books don't really catch my eye/attention nowadays, but maybe it's because of the genre/theme of the book. If you're looking for something with lots of brain-candy, matured writing and suspense, I would recommend Dan Brown's series. He has written 5 books so far, and all of them are very nice to read in my opinion. Digital Fortress and The Lost Symbol are 2 of my favourites.

Unless, of course, you have already read them before.

3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I've just finished reading the 50 Shades of Grey trilogy, and I was mesmerised - I just couldn't put the books down, and read them all in 3 days. It certainly lived up to the hype, and I found myself engaging with the characters. For me, that's a sure sign of a good read.

I like crime fiction with good characterisation and a strong plotline, so I'd recommend anything by Scottish author Quintin Jardine, or Linda La Plante. Their books really suck you in to the point that you're sorry when you finish reading.

4. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I recently purchased Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein" for $2.50 at a local used bookstore and the last time a book like this has really drawn me in was Honore de Balzac's "The Black Sheep" or Fyodor Dostoevsky's "House of the Head." Really fantastic book, but probably because of its morose language and droll setting.

5. writer811

writer811Active Member

Threads:
    The last book I read that I couldn't put down was called "Thirteen Reasons Why". It's about a girl who commits suicide and records her story on a tape recorder, which includes the thirteen major reasons that she killed herself. The protagonist is one of the people who listens to the tapes (they are sent to every person responsible for driving her to suicide) and a major theme of the novel is he doesn't know what he did to contribute to her death and is in constant fear of finding out. It's a captivating novel because you're observing a story unfolding and you know how it's going to end. Each new secret you learn draws you in more and more but you know the entire time that there will be no happy ending. All roads lead to the same outcome; a young woman dead by her own hand. I cried several times while reading it and it was on my mind for weeks after.

6. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks for your recommendation Sandra! I wanted to see what this series was all about too. So many ladies have told me it was amazing, but I am just too shy to pick it up in the library and too broke to order it online. haha

7. sandees

sandeesMember

Threads:
    I'm not usually a "fantasy genre" fan. But my friends were recommending "Game of Thrones" and I took 3 of the 5 books with me on a month long vacation. In 1 month, I finished 3 books (they're about 500 pages each, average!) came back and read the next two within a month. They were very addictive and George R.R. Martin is a fantastic author!

I'm also a big fan of the show and reading the books prior to watching the series have helped me keep track of who's who, who's doing what, etc.

Highly recommended :)

8. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    The last book that I read that I couldn't put down was "The Shack" by William P. Young. The entire book was written with a completely different twist and was unusually touching to me without being melodramatic. I really enjoyed it and was happy that I took the advice from the person that told me about the book.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have also read The Shack, I have not finished it, I got to section in the book that made me do a personal inventory. It makes you think about somethings in your life and what is really important.

10. iNg

iNgMember

Threads:
    I just finished Catch-22 by Joseph Heller, my fourth time through. I still laugh out loud through the whole book and find new imagery and brilliant word choice to admire.

11. Terri

TerriMember

Threads:
    I've heard of 50 Shades of Grey, Sandra... I mean, I've heard a lot about the books, and I'm glad someone mentioned it, so I can check it out.

Hmmmm.... the latest book that I've read which has drawn me in completely has to be my novel, The Gospel of Obsession. I know, I know, at first this may seem a little self-absorbed, but give me a moment to explain... :) It took me 8 years to write my novel, and during the last year of writing it, I had to edit the book myself. To do this I had to read and re-read the novel over 11 times... In my humble opinion, even tho it was my book, to have been able to read the same book so many times and still have an interest in it (hard to maintain an interest after the 5th read). I've had many people who consumed the book in 2 or 3 days (and it's 484 pages long!). The book is about 3 women who come together to save each other from their self-inflicted obsessions. So, just being honest, that's the most "enthralled" in a book I've ever been.... oh, and EVERY Stephen King novel I've ever read! Lol Mmhm... *nods*

12. themotleyshopper

themotleyshopperMember

Threads:
    I absolutely adore the "Outlander" series by Diana Gabaldon. Her books are about a woman who goes back to the 1700's. She writes very well, one of those authors that has the talent to suck you in and make you feel as though you are part of the story. I just heard the Starz network is making a mini-series out of her books! I figured I'd better re-read the series before the show airs ;)

13. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    I just re-read "To Kill a Mockingbird" and it was even better than before. It's so rich in history, and written so well. I'd recommend it!

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't read anymore, but during the time that I was reading, any novel by Sidney Sheldon really had me engrossed.

15. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    I recently finished reading "Perdido Street Station" and thought it was fantastic! I normally don't make time to read fantasy-type novels, but this was really good. It's filled with so much rich detail and the storyline is such that, by the end of the book, you feel like you've been through several books. But, not because of the number of pages, but because of the depth of the details provided. It can be a little challenging with the vocabulary used at times (you might want to have dictionary available), but it doesn't ruin the experience.

This is definitely a book for mature readers. It also has a very steam-punk atmosphere, but not in a cartoonish way. It starts a little slow with lots of character development, but it ramps up to being an absolute epic adventure. I won't mention anything about the plot because well, you should read it.