What cooking oil are you using?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by prettycolors • May 5, 2014.

1. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Right now I'm mostly using sunflower oil when I cook and olive oil for my salads.

The sunflower oil I'm using is pretty cheap but it burns out fast and it's less thick than it was in the past (I'm guessing it's more refined). We're consuming a lot of it and I started looking for healthier alternatives. For example I know that cooking in burnt sunflower oil is linked to some forms of cancer - I don't want that.

So, what oil are you using and which is healthier to cook with?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I mainly use canola oil for just about everything. It's so inexpensive, and neutral tasting that I prefer it over most other oils. I also like that it has a thinner viscosity than something like extra virgin olive oil. Although I like olive oil, I try to limit my use of it due to it's price, same goes for peanut oil. Also, in some dishes, I just don't like the flavor of it in them - for example, I wouldn't use olive oil for fried rice. Some varieties also have a greenish tint, which I don't care for visually when using it on recipes such as a pasta salad.

The other oil I will cook with from time to time is garlic infused oil. It doesn't have to be olive oil, they actually sell garlic infused vegetable oil as well, which is less expensive. I like that it imparts a fresh garlic taste without having to worry about burning the garlic.

3. robinegg

robineggMember

Threads:
    I mostly use canola oil for general cooking purposes, because it is so cheap and you can get it practically anywhere. I do use a bit of sesame oil for Asian dishes, like fried rice, stirfry, and noodles; it really adds to the flavour of the dish and makes it wonderfully fragrant. I've also got a bottle of extra virgin olive oil, mostly for salad vinaigrettes, pasta sauces, and other generally light foods.

4. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I also use sunflower oil and olive oil everyday and I don't mind to use whichever for cooking really. Either of them work well for me. Even though they are more expensive than the regular oils but for me the taste is better and of course it's healthier as well. I still use the regular oils occasionally especially when I don't have much money for more expensive oils.

5. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I use vegetable oil for some things, but prefer olive oil. I just hate how expensive olive oil is. I've never tried any other kinds of cooking oils.

6. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I have lots of cooking oils right now. I have corn oil, sunflower oil, sunflower/olive oil blend, olive oil, infused olive oil and vegetable oil. I've pretty much always used vegetable oil for everything, other than certain foods that just aren't right without olive oil.

7. malia

maliaMember

Threads:
    thats a good question. I usually use olive oil or pan or butter if I don't have any regular cooking oil. Or if I don't have any left I recycle oil cooking oil a couple of times. hope that helped :)

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use Grapeseed Extract oil. It has a lighter taste than olive oil. It also tolerates high heat very well. I have been hearing great things about coconut oil. I know it's healthy but I have been slow to change.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use Canola oil, just because it`s healthier than most cooking oils you find at the supermarkets and not that pricey. I have been using that for a while now and I don`t plan on changing unless someone comes up with a better alternative!