What decides your drink choice for a meal?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by JoanMcWench • Dec 20, 2013.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I know how to choose a wine for a meal based on what you're eating. I was wondering if there was a way to choose a different alcoholic drink for your meal complimenting the meal itself?

I've heard that you can do this with different beers. Does this also apply for certain mixed drinks? As in a Mexican style meal would be complimented nicely with a lime margarita or a homemade rumchata. Also, can this be utilized in a non-alcoholic drink way?

2. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    It basically depends on what I'm eating and how I'm feeling. When I go to a Mexican restaurant I try drink mix drinks with my food, but sometimes I just feel like a cold glass of ice tea mixed with lemon. When I eat Bar-BQ I like to drink a wine cooler then if it a social able gathering but if it a family function I choose a cold soft drink.

3. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    There are rules, but I'm not as familiar with them as I should be. Plus people rarely ever follow them anymore. But I do know this, for dinner, you should stick to wines, waters, and juices. If it's a causal meal or a cultural one, you may be able to pair it with beer. Like wines, there are several different types of beers. So, yes one beer may go better with a dish than another. Most other drinks like mojitos, daquiris, maritinis, and cognac should be served before eating when people are mingling around or after the main meal. There are also rules for what drinks should be served after the main meal, with desserts and after dessert.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since I don't drink alcohol, my choice of beverage is limited only to sodas, juices, and water. If I'm having a meal that has soup in it, then I usually take only water. But if the meal is fried or with sauce, then I take soda or juice. But if I'm eating dessert afterwards, then I don't drink anything sweet and I just drink water, because sweet beverages just make my dessert taste bland.