What discount store do you think is overrated?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by True2marie • Dec 5, 2013.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    What discount store do you think is overrated? My answer - Walmart.

Yes, the products at Walmart are dirt cheap. For example, you can get electronic goods for pennies on the dollar. Yet, what you take home usually breaks easily. I honestly prefer Target over Walmart. The staff is friendlier and the products I get at this establishment have more quality workmanship.

2. amy005

amy005Active Member

Threads:
    I agree that Wal-Mart is over rated. I like to get make-up and sometimes food there because they have the same brands as other stores but at a better price. Otherwise, when it comes to THERE brands, yes everything is definitely of less quality. Target's store brand is a lot better for sure.

3. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    My vote's on Walmart as well. Where I used to live, despite being close to plenty of better stores, everyone always raved and raved about Walmart. I don't think it's a 'good deal' if you're getting crap, you know? I prefer Target as well; the customer service is better, the selection is better for 90% of things, you don't get as much craziness or waiting in only one open line for ages.

4. downloadsincomplete

downloadsincompleteMember

Threads:
    I think some of the discount electronic stores are overrated. They always advertise low prices, but they are specifically models from several years ago, and aren't really up to spec. They also sell brands that no one else has ever heard of, and could possibly stop working after a few years. I definitely don't mind paying extra if I'm buying from a reputable electronics store. The cost over the long-run is well worth it.

5. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    A lot of the stuff you find at other stores you can easily find at Walmart. I get that sometimes Walmart is packed to the brim and you may not like the customer service, but I mean its Walmart! The prices are great and really if you go in there at a good time instead of going around rush hour I guarantee you'll have a much better experience! I feel like people think throwing hate at Walmart is the cool thing to do when really all my experiences there haven't been to bad.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like Walmart and Target, for different reasons. Each of them has something different to offer. I think Kmart sucks. My local Kmart is depressing, has brown and orange walls, has a pathetic ,overpriced little grocery section and doesn't sell any electronics. You can't buy computers there, only keyboards. You can't buy game consoles there ,only controllers. My local Kmart is a sad, bleak, messy place.

7. maee9713

maee9713New Member

Threads:
    I have to go with the majority and say Wal-Mart. A lot of the times, I will go out of my way to avoid Wal-Mart. Target is a little more expensive but I happily pay extra for a better shopping experience and a better product. As far as clothes and shoes, I learned my lesson on Wal-Mart a long time ago. Having three children, I would shop at Wal-Mart a lot for their clothes when they were toddlers and found myself shopping every month because the clothes I just bought had now become play clothes because they were ruined (i.e. holes or coming apart at the seams). I thought my kids were just rough on clothes. I hit a sale at Kohl's one weekend, ended up spending about the same that I would have at Wal-Mart, give or take $30 or so, and they had those clothes until they outgrew them. Never have I even walked through the clothes department at Wal-Mart again. It was almost the exact same story with shoes.

8. sidd230

sidd230Member

Threads:
    Walmart is terrible. Their product are really bad quality and the staff is not very helpful. You can find quality products on the cheap but Walmart is not the place to find them.

9. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I think Walmart actually does have good values. I think Costco and Sam's club are overated as to savings. Besides who needs 50 pounds of mayonaisse?

10. Plinko

PlinkoMember

Threads:
    I like Walmart and Target. I'm not too fond of Kmart. I wish Kmart would either close up, or put more effort in its stores. Half the time, the shelves aren't even stocked properly at my local Kmart. I feel sorry for anyone that works there, it seems like such a sad and depressing place.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I will actually shop at K-Mart these days from time to time, specifically because nobody goes there, lol. I can't stand being in crowded stores with people blocking the aisles, kids screaming, long lines at the checkout, etc...

My first reaction to this thread would be Sams Club/Costco. I despise Wal-Mart/Sam's Club for grossly underpaying their workers and the damage their stores do to communities. While I support Costco for being the anti-WalMart, to the consumer they are basically a carbon copy of Sam's Club - only they pay their workers much much better. The main thing is though I never really get any savings at either of these stores. Per ounce, per pound, it all ads up to the same I would pay getting that stuff at regular stores - I'm just buying more of it than I probably need all at once.

12. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure I would consider Walmart as a discount store. It's super market that happens to have cheaper products than most, but Sam's Club is the discount version... anyway, I really enjoy discount stores, I love stores like Marshalls and Ross. A discount store I do not really like is TJ Maxx, because I never seem to find good stuff in there

13. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    K-Mart is one of the grossest stores I've ever set foot into. I've never been into a KMart that smelled good, was clean, and had good products. I avoid KMart at all costs. I love Marshalls and TjMaxx. I can always find the most unique, affordable things in there - everything from clothes to household items. WalMart has never bothered me. People get so upset over Walmart, but it's like - you can't treat it like some high end retail chain. It's Walmart! It is what it is. I like to buy food from Walmart, and they have great deals on basic items as well. Target has always seemed stuck-up and over-priced to me.