What Do You Do To Prevent Shin Splints?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Aurelia • Apr 19, 2015.

1. Aurelia

AureliaNew Member

Threads:
    Now that the weather is getting warm I really don't have any more excuses not to get back into running in the morning. I first fell out of the habit when recovering from shin splints which is something that I definitely don't want to happen again!

I've purchased some new running shoes and I've started doing

every day to strengthen my hips, ankles feet and calves. Does anyone else have something that works for them?

2. Hiatus

HiatusNew Member

Threads:
    New shoes are definitely a great way to prevent shin splints. Another way is to have a short stride.

A really good way to train is, put on some ankle weights on the tops of your feet and just tap your toes on the ground while keeping your heels on the floor. You can do this anytime you're sitting down. Try to keep a steady beat or difficult patterns. This will give you a serious burn, but it'll work in the long run!

3. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSportsActive Member

Threads:
    I have to say that buying new shoes definitely helps with the shin splints issue. If you get something that has plenty of good support for your feet, then shin splints become less of a problem in the future. Also, getting some KY tape definitely is a good investment. That stuff feels marvelous whenever you run with it on.

4. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Oh gosh. I'd almost forgotten what that felt like until you mentioned it. It's been a very long time (thankfully) since I've had shin splints. New shoes are a good idea. Maybe a little different style than the ones you've been wearing. I'm funny about my running shoes. I have really long toes and a rather odd stride to begin with and the shoes I wear make a huge difference. I don't always choose the same kind, but when I put a pair on I've gotten to where I can tell if it's going to work for me or not just by the way it breaks at the toe and the ball of the foot when I walk.

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nothing beats wearing a good pair of running/exercise shoes. A lot of people purchase shoes in the $20 to $50 range, and this is a huge mistake. For many shoe brands, a higher price does mean something in terms of quality. Even a basic $70 pair of Nikes is going to blow away any brand's shoes under that price point. You have to spend a little extra to get some shoes that provide enough support for your feet, ankles, and the rest of your legs.

6. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSportsActive Member

Threads:
    Let me reiterate the importance of this post: Buying a pair of shoes for leisure time that are priced around the twenty dollar to fifty dollar range is perfectly fine. However, if you want to buy a good running shoe that has awesome support and will last for a long time, do not cheap out. You pay for what you get, and if you buy a high quality running shoe, you will receive, in return, a high quality experience.

It really hurts my entire body whenever I recall the painful experiences that shin splints have caused me over the years haha. What brand of shoe do you usually prefer? I have a friend who has a similar foot to you, because he has a hard time buying shoes because of his overly-long toes.

#6Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2015