What do you do with stale milk?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by akiii123 • Oct 5, 2014.

1. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I know a lot of people who prefer to throw away the milk, in case, it becomes stale. I think it is really a big waste of milk. Where I come from, stale milk is extensively used for making sweets. The sweets made out of stale milk is just delicious. I just love to eat it whenever my mom prepares it. So what do you do with the stale milk?

2. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't know that you can use stale milk. I am lactose intolerant, so I don't really drink milk. My mother prefers to throw it away though because we don't want to get food poisoning

3. megadelayed

megadelayedMember

Threads:
    I never actually knew about milk sweets being made out of stale milk, every time I find that my milk has gone bad, the odor when I open that bottle is enough for me to chuck what is left in there as far as I can as soon as I can.

4. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    I did not know stale milk still could be used. We usually finish the milk before the expiration date.

5. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of doing that, interesting because that is probably the last thing I would have imagined expired milk would be good for. I always spill out expired milk, I actually spill it out the day it expires and not a moment after. I just don't think it is worth risking it in case it did go bad.

6. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I've made hot chocolate milk before with expired milk, though it was only a day or so past the date. I've never messed with it after that. Once it starts to have an odor I toss it.

I've never thought to try and make sweets with it. What kind of sweets does your mother make with the milk? I'd be really interested in finding out. Any specific recipes? It would be nice to have something else to use it for.

7. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I use it as a substitute for buttermilk. There are a lot of cakes that use it. But I have also heard of people using it in their 'hen food' (for chickens). Some also use soured milk as a facial mask. You can rub it on your skin and leave it for 15 to 20 minutes and it is supposed to be good against acne. But I have not tried these last two methods yet myself so cannot vouche for its effectiveness.

8. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I had no idea that it could really be used for anything, now I feel silly, I'll have to look it up and see the uses for it. I just end up dumping it out when it goes bad.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am allergic to dairy, so I don't consume any cow milk. But if any of the soy or nut milks in my fridge go off, I generally throw them away. Usually that happens very rarely, and if it does, it's the last little bit of milk left in the glass or pack. I don't like those clumps and the sour smell of it, yet I can see how you could still incorporate it in the preparation of sweets or sauces.

10. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There could be one way to avoid having to find ways to use milk which has gone bad. If you have a lot of milk which you believe might go past the expiration date then why not get it soured and use the sour milk in recipes as a substitute for buttermilk. All you need to do is add a few drops of lemon juice or vinegar to the milk, cover it up and
    You could even try to drink it.

11. Evelyn Freshsmith

Evelyn FreshsmithMember

Threads:
    If your milk is truly spoiled - and you know that smell/taste instinctively - it's garbage. Spoiled milk is different that soured or cultured milk, which is milk that has been intentionally soured with a starter or friendly bacteria (like those found in yogurt).

Nearly all of the milk we drink in the US is pasteurized (even *ultra*pasteurized). That means all the bad buggies are killed off, but any good bugs are too. So any natural souring (like in yogurt or creme fraiche) won't happen. When that milk spoils, it does so because "bad" bacteria get into it after it's been opened.

I'd advice you to throw it away.