What do you do with your old clothing?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Miaka_M • May 15, 2014.

1. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    Just as the title says - what do you do with them? When my clothing gets too old the first thing I do is examine it. If it is in good condition then I give it to the less fortunate (the salvation army in Canada). If it has holes and stains I do something else - I cut it up! Yes, I do! Why? To make rags of course haha. I cut them up and keep them in a little basket in the bathroom, whenever I need to clean the bathroom, or any small spill on the floor I use them as a rag. You can't imagine the mountains of money that you can save with recycling your old clothing in this way :)

2. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I box up all my old clothing my family and I and once a month along with other family and friends we have one big rummage sale. All that we dont sell we give to the salvation army this is a great way to help the less fortune.

3. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to put mine in clothes bins for charity :). I sometimes sell some items on Ebay too, those items that are nearly new. I also sometimes give items to my daughter because her school collects clothes for charity from time to time.

4. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I keep my old clothing stashed in my cabinet, because often I find that later on, I would be needing them. And if I am not going to need them, then I just give them to charities or to those who are ravaged by a great catastrophe who are really needing help.

5. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I normally give them up in the charity bins. At least that way am sure that they are going to help out someone rather than turning them into rags and just see them get wasted when they could help out. But for those that might be torn beyond repair, then I will just turn them in rags.

6. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I either donate it or throw it away. If it's totally falling apartment and is basically just a rag, I throw it away. I don't use rags enough to warrant saving my torn up clothing for that purpose. I feel like I would just have a huge pile of old clothes just taking up space, and I don't like to have a lot of stuff like that laying around. If my stuff is in good shape, however, I will donate it to my local thrift stores.

7. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    When I am done with my clothes, me and my friends do trades. This saves money while still allowing you to change up your wardrobe. Everything else, I either sale or donate.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just donate them. The last time I gathered old clothing that I didn't use anymore I really wanted to sell them and make some extra cash, but I couldn't find a place that bought them for a fair price. So to sell my clothes for a penny, I would rather just donate to people that really need them.

9. love_paradise

love_paradiseNew Member

Threads:
    I have two ways to do with my old clothes. If my old clothes is really stained, I used it as rags or reuse, weave it into a cloth cushion. I give them to my mother who wear or present them to her relatives and friends in my countryside. I constantly present my daughter's clothes to my neighbor's little babies.

10. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I normally wear my clothes until they have holes in and then I will designate them as cleaning and painting clothes - clothes I wear when I clean and paint. If your clothes are in good condition then I say give them to your local charity shop so other people can benefit from them. :)

11. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I always just give it to charity. I think overall, I'm quite generous when it comes to clothes. If I see some announcement saying that they are in dire need for donations (let's say there was a huge calamity), I would not hesitate to pull out some of my clothes and donate them. I believe that when you are generous enough in giving things away to the needy, you will be able to regain it back in other ways.

12. largecow

largecowMember

Threads:
    You will probably think I'm a complete cheapskate but I sell my clothes online. There is an app for it. It's called Poshmark. It's really easy to buy and sell used or new clothing that you want to get rid of. Sometimes, the users tend to "swap" clothes with you so it's really a win win situation. Then of course, I have the "ugly worn out clothes" stack that I just give to Goodwill or Salvation Army. :)

13. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I gather mine and my family's clothes a couple times a year and have a yard sale. I rather sell my stuff to in return get more clothes that's needed. I don't charge much and on the occasion I don't sell anything, I donate to a local charity store that sells stuff to help less fortunate pay needed bills.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If it's really worn out and tattered, then I also use it as a rag. Sometimes I just give away to relatives the ones that do not fit me anymore. Right now I have lots of new clothes from abroad that was given to me by my uncle that I haven't used yet, and I'm thinking of selling them.

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually change wardrobes at Christmas, so I give my clothes out to charity every year. I always make sure to sort out which ones are still wearable and which ones I'll just keep and maybe turn into a rug or use in some other projects. The only problem is that I never do turn them into rugs and I always end up just storing them, but at least it's just a small amount as I do get to give away most of it when I do.

16. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I have a cousin who's just a few years younger than me and around the same size. So if he wants anything old of mine, I'll let him take what he wants. After that though, I always donate my clothes to either the Salvation Army or to one of the charities going on at my school. Most of the time, there's some sort of clothes drive going to where I can donate my clothes.

17. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I used to sell some of my wardrobe that I was tired of but was in excellent shape and high end. Honestly it wasn't worth the effort. Now I donate all of my clothes, with the exception of items I would not wear due to holes or stains, to a local church. The church sets up a little shop and volunteers staff it and help people "shop" (it is all free) for special occasions such as job interviews and holidays. I like donating to the church because I know everything goes directly to the people who need it.

18. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    When my older clothing starts to pile up because I am no longer wearing it, I donate it. If the fabric is something I can reuse then I might keep it and upcycle the cloth. If it's tattered or stained, I might use it for cleaning, but I try to not throw anything in the trash that isn't biodegradable.

19. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    In the past, I would have always given my old clothes to charity, however now that times are a little bit harder I will sell them. There are shops in my local area that offer a small amount of money per kilogram of clothes, and if you go every few months you usually find that there is plenty to buy a little bit of shopping with once you've been given the money. It's very easy, and is something that I am more than enjoying doing at the moment. I would encourage all of my friends and family to do it as well, because it is better to have a small amount of money than not being able to have anything at all.

20. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I usually donate the clothes. I used to use it as rag but not anymore. I prefer to give it away. Otherwise it goes a waste.