What Do You Do With Your Old Gadgets?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by DrRipley • Oct 15, 2013.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I did some organizing some time ago and found two very old Nokia phones I had lying around. I'm thinking of keeping them just because no one would probably buy them anyway, and I don't think I want to throw them away just because they don't take up that much space anyway. I also have about 4 broken laptops, each with a different level and type of brokenness, but I plan on combining them all someday into one frankenstein cpu that I might use as a media center or a similar minor purpose. What do you guys do with your old gadgets?

2. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I don't like to have clutter in my house so therefore anything that I don't have any hue for I tend to just sell or give away for free to my friends and family. I know that with each coming year newer and better products will come it so there is really no point in keeping my pink razor phone for example.
    I even sold some of these phones on amazon and its surprising how many people bought them.

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    There are starting to be more places that are recycling old electronics. You may want to see if you can find any in your area because some of them will pay you cash for them. Just be careful and delete any personal data off of them before you sell or trash any of your electronics. There are also getting to be more places and people that are using old electronics for evil purposes.

4. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    Many of us face that question while technology develops so fast. In a couple of years we accumulate a lot of "electronic junk" and we don't find the ideal way to get rid of all that we don't use. In many cases, the most viable option is to donate these gadgets to charity organizations specializing in repair and reuse this kind of items. In that way we make sure that the things that we don't use will have a good destination.

In the event that we don't consider that option, there are many websites where we can find DIY Projects. Even if we have a little patience, we can find someone interested in buying it that we don't use. :D

5. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually make money off mine. Most of the time there are people who buy broke or old gadgets and so I sell them. I have two laptops that have busted screens but still very good laptops and work very well. And as for my phones I never have any old ones laying around cause usually when I get a new phone I turn my old one in for cash.

6. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most of my old gadgets like cellphones and old consoles are all collecting dust somewhere in out house. There were some gadgets that I sold and some were given to my younger cousins before but most of the time, I just simply stop using them and they get lost somewhere never to be seen again.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know I should be recycling my old electronics but I just find it hard to let them go. I still have all my phones and old computers, they all still work. I have told myself to donate the cell phones to a good cause and my get that done before the end of the year.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    All my old phones are just here in the house as well, because they don't gather too much space. I think I will just dispose of the broken ones as soon as I see a recycling center for electronics. The working ones look old to be sold, but they're in generally in good working condition. I seem to collect them for nostalgic purposes.

9. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    Usually when I update my gadgets I usually sell my old ones. I don't usually keep my old gadgets around, because they are old and there is no need. I get rid of all my old stuff as soon as it becomes a nuisance having it around.

10. violatoR

violatoRNew Member

Threads:
    I tend to simply keep them in a drawer and forget about them with time. I don't really do it on purpose, but once I get a new one I really get attached to it so paying attention to what happens to my old gadgets is not really of any interest to me.
    Although, the idea of donating them to certain charity organisations seems to be pretty nice and productive. I'll look around and see what I can dig out and possibly get involved with such an organisation.

11. writeletters

writelettersMember

Threads:
    By old gadgets I assume you mean ones that we just don't have space for anymore. We have plenty of friends around who flat together and enjoy free items, so generally, if the item in question is still in working order, we pass it on to them. If not, we may sell or just leave it to gather dust.

12. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I usually recycle my old gadgets or sell them if they are still working, well, somehow working. I usually use my gadgets until they break because I'm not the kind of person who likes the latest gadgets or the recent generation of the gadgets. Plus, I don't want to spend a lot of money on them because they can get quiet expensive sometimes.

13. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I usually find all types of gadgets when I am doing a super clean of my house. I have 2 broken laptops and tons of phones that are old. Each year I get a new phone that comes out and I just leave the old ones lying around the house. I don't try to sell mines either, even thought most are still usable.

14. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There used be some store that bought old electronics [don't know how they used them] which was very convenient for anyone who wanted to get rid of their old gadgets. They paid very little and since most of the gadgets I wanted to sell to them were still in good working order I figured it would be better to hand them over as gifts to anyone whom I felt could have some use for them.

15. nhsososo4

nhsososo4Member

Threads:
    I have about 5 old phones that I bought in the early 2000s the classic one out of the lot is the Nokia 3310 and my Alcatel. Funny enough they all still work perfectly fine and once in a while they always come in handy. Problem with our new and advanced gadgets they are too sensitive to everything. They are supposed to be the improved version but instead not.

I do not know how many times I have dropped my old Nokias on the floor, not a single day did they ever freeze. Yes I understand the only thing we could do on them was send messages, call and play the basic games and with phones these days there are a lot of applications, but still their sensitivity level has also gone to high.

Thus I would advise other people to keep their old gadgets, they are always useful once in a while.

16. margarito

margaritoMember

Threads:
    Good one mate. This is the one area where I don't understand what to do exactly. There is a rapid development in the mobile technology and latest models are being dumped in the market often. The interests of the people too is rapidly switching from the old to new. In this perspective I didn't understand what to do with the ones getting older and older in technology and features day by day. Finally, I decided to make money selling them off to the one who need it for a comparatively lower price. I thinks this benefits both the seller and the buyer in a way that the seller gets a percent of money and the buyer gets the satisfaction of owning a mobile phone that he actually wanted to have.

17. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    I usually just sell them for cheap, its not much usually but it all helps and its a whole lot better than just throwing them out morally and environmentally.

18. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    Like Anna, I don't like clutter. So, I either throw away or donate my old electronics. But before I do that, I like to be sure I will have no other future use for them. Like sometimes an old computer can be used if fixed up. But generally, I prefer to go with new electronics.

You can donate old cell phones at cell phone stores and Goodwill. As for laptops and PCs, I take them apart and then throw them away so that no one can have access to my data.

19. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I try to sell all my old gadgets, and get some type of money for them.

20. erronousRogue

erronousRogueMember

Threads:
    I generally try to find ways to repurpose them, even if it's just for parts. Otherwise sell them on auction sites or give them away to friends if they need something. I do keep every single one of my "personal" devices though, old phones and laptops are pretty much all around the house. It just feels wrong to throw them away :(.