What Do You Do With Your Old Phones?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Denis Hard • Feb 18, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some people replace their phones each time a new model hits the market. Amazon I remember at one time was buying Iphone 5s [or it still does].

"If you trade in your iPhone, you will receive an Amazon.com Gift Card for the value of your trade-in, generally within 2 business days of your iPhone being accepted."

That, now is one great way of getting rid of your phone and lining your wallet with cash whilst doing so. But what of those who can't sell their phones on Amazon?

There is this site I found where you can sell your old phones

2. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Usually, I'll just keep one spare phone just encase of emergencies if I lose my main one. But other than that, I'll give them away to a family member who might need a phone or look to get as much as I can either through a trade-in or selling it.

The most money you can get is through when companies offer the trade in specials to upgrade your phone. That's the most you can get in for an old phone I think.

3. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I keep them, because I'm not gonna really get anything for them most of the time and a spare one or two will alywas come in handy if mine or someone in my family's breaks..

4. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    I still keep mine. I have my four year old cellphone still working. It is my back up, similar to waht Aladar said. The market is looking for smart phones anyway. Mine is definitely not. It does not even have touch screen. That phone has been with me through a lot of things. It is a part of me now.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I keep mine because I can't be bothered to wipe the data off it and the price you get for it sometimes isn't worth it. They devalue quickly and it is good to have a spare phone for many reasons including losing a charger or a battery going. I had one phone where the battery was drained and I still have all the data on it, so it's easier for me to keep it in case I ever need the photos.

6. ScipioPro

ScipioProMember

Threads:
    If I am able to trade them for money, I might as well do that. However, sometimes with the cheap ones, I take them apart for spare parts. It's actually a really neat thing to do, if you know what you are doing. I suppose you could also fix it up, and sell it for a price, maybe install paid app software, and sell it on ebay.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would only get a few dollars for my phone if I tried to trade it in. I have held onto it for a backup in case I lose or break my phone I would not have to purchase a new on. I think I need to find a new battery for the old phone if I want to hold on to it.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I just keep mine as a backup for when or if my new phone breaks or something. It wouldn't be worth much even if I did sell it since I usually use the phone until it's really old and I rarely try hard to take care of them since I don't like having to be so careful with my things so I doubt anyone would pay that much for them anyway.

9. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I also keep my mine. All my phones have sentimental values thats why I just keep them inside my gadget closet. I also used them as backup for emergency or if my current phone is lost.

10. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to keep mine. I'm sure I could be a bit more efficient with them, recycling them or selling them on. But I haven't got round to doing it yet, and I always feel the need to hold onto one or two just in case.

11. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not quite sure what happened to the very first few cell phones that I had. I was a child when I acquired them. They could be anywhere, doing anything right now lol. But the last few phones that I have had as an adult, I have kept the old ones?? One or two are in the kids' toy box currently. They like to use them as toy phones and play with them that way. But I do have a few backups.

12. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I usually keep them as a backup phone or something to bring along with me when I'm out for a walk just to have some sort of emergency phone to give to anyone who's trying to put a knife on my throat in exchange for everything in my pocket. But I usually just give them away.

13. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    I just tend to give them away to friends or family members that needs them, usually my nephews and nieces. I also tend to sell them when they still look like they might have a chance but for the most part, it's better off given to someone free of charge.

14. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the link to where I can sell my old phones! I usually just keep my phones until I need money-then I sell them to get money. I currently have an S3 and an Iphone 4, the Iphone 4 is in need of repairs. I like the Iphone 4 so I don't think I'll sell it, I'll maybe just fix it and keep it. But, if needs be, I'll consider selling it and the S3 and upgrading to an S4 or 5.

15. Nikole

NikoleMember

Threads:
    Usually by the time we get a new device, our old device is destroyed :rolleyes:. In the past, we would sell our old phones to get the most profit out of them, but lately it seems like by the time we upgrade, the old device is toast! We did keep a subpar old android phone around in storage in case another of our phones breaks, which seems like a good idea based on our luck in the past :)

16. lordrenly

lordrenlyActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I buy used phones anyway so my old phones will be very old by the time I decide that I want to get another (used) phone so in the end, I would not mind discarding my old phones after I am done with it. If I managed to miraculously scrap some money out of it, it will be great but if I failed to do that, I would not be disappointed. However, I will always keep them and have them piled up because I don't want to let them go. It is more because of personal satisfaction of having your loved items still with you instead of because I want to use them again.

17. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    most of the times i keep the spare phones as it can be useful at any given time. you cannot tell about the android phones these days they give up on any given time and this spare phone can be useful at that moment usually i do not throw them away. the phones are really expensive and i do not feel like throwing them away. i have never given my phone for second hand but i would like to try that some day because it seems like a useful deal.

18. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Most of my old phones I have kept as mp3 or mp4 players, because they're phones that aren't worth selling or trading. A few of my phones I have given away to siblings or friends who wanted or needed it. Other times, my cell phones were no longer useful and I simply stripped the parts and sold the usable pieces online as repair parts. My old sister takes her old phone apart and sell the little amount of gold from it.

19. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I go through phones pretty quickly. Last year alone I did over eight premier flagship phones. I find that if I use them for a month or two I can sell them fast on eBay and turn around to put the money towards a new device. I love to keep up with the technology so if I didn't re sell them afterwards I'd be in quite a financial bind:confused:

20. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I wonder what I should be doing with my old phones all the time. So far only iPhone encourages recycling of their old products. Yet I have found that it's a good idea to use my old phone as a backup communication tool, used only for job search, freelance and app tests. Before I just re-sell my old phones and use the money to get myself a new one.