What do you drink when eating at home?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by crimsonghost747 • Mar 12, 2014.

1. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    What kind of beverages do you usually drink when eating at home? And have you ever thought about how much they change the price of the whole meal?

I normally just drink water. It's all I really want or need, though sometimes I do take a glass of fruit juice or a glass of wine. But both of those are pretty rare, maybe with like 1 meal a week whereas all the rest are eaten with just water. I've noticed that staying away from other drinks can save a lot of money too. For example, if you drink $1 worth of orange juice per day, that's going to make it $30 a month that you spent on juice alone.

2. klieny

klienyNew Member

Threads:
    Well, I drink different drinks all the time, it all depends on my mood. Some days I want chocolate milk, other day's wine, soda, orange juice, Hawaiian punch, but I hardly drink water while having meals at home.

3. khillis

khillisMember

Threads:
    I am a fan of water with my meals as well, although I do not just strictly stick to water. I am a big supporter of the craft beer industry; I tend to try a couple new, local beers a week. I am also a massive green tea drink; adding a little bit of honey is nice. Food and drink are one of those areas in which I do not mind spending a bit more. I would rather pay a little more for good quality ingredients, then less for poor quality ones. When I do drink water; I usually mix sparkling water with juice.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I make my own iced tea, which I drink a ton of throughout the day and with meals. In the evenings I will have an inexpensive wine with my meals sometimes too, usually something from Trader Joe's or Marcs - that $3 a bottle stuff, or I will pick up some boxed wines.

Previously I was drinking a lot of diet soda every week, and spending a lot of money on it too - not to mention it was a pain in the butt lugging those cases in from the store. Making my own iced tea is saving me a lot of money each month, and it's so easy to just grab a few boxes of it at the store. One box of tea bags is only $1.50 and that will make like 6 gallons of tea.

I also had one of those Soda Streams for a while, but I hated it. The syrup tasted like crap, and the soda it produced would go flat really fast.

5. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Actually I don't drink anything but plain water. I think that drinking beverages messes up the taste of the food I'm eating. Other than breakfast where I have coffee with my bread I just go with plain water. Plain water is a good way to clean up the taste buds so that every bite feels fresh.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't tend to drink anything with food. But in between my meals I have at least 3-4 litres of filtered water with a few drops of citrus fruit here and there. I like herbal teas and occasionally coffee. I also buy sparkling mineral water in summer. I never try to save money by denying myself these small pleasures. Expensive clothes and gadgets don't interest me, but I won't hold back when it comes to good food and beverages.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I normally just drink water. I sometimes drink some diet Coke, but most times water. I used to go heavy on sodas when I was at home, but it's been almost one year now that I try to drink it only on weekends. I don't drink a lot of juice or alcoholic beverages, so plain cold water works just fine for me!

8. JuLovo

JuLovoNew Member

Threads:
    I love water. When I'm at home, I'll have a glass or bottle of cold water near me. Occasionally, I'd drink juice if I wanted something with flavor. But you do save a lot of money buying water over soda, especially if you have a water cooler. Also, back in high school, I had some noticeable tummy pudge. When I stopped drinking soda and stuck to water, I lost all of the pudge just by doing that. I was so surprised and really happy -- that I could continue my lazy ways and not exercise to get rid of the love handles I once had. So switching to water helps both your wallet and diet/weight.

9. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    I have noticed over the years that by just drinking water with most of my meals at home, I save a whole lot of money. I do love white wine though. Love love love Moscato! So I definitely try to treat myself at times. I am also a big fan of juice but I do find that by purchasing a lot of juice I end up spending way more than what I had first intended. So unless I become a billionaire soon, I'll stick to mostly water while at home. Plus, it's healthy!

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't drink while eating. I have to eat first and later drink something which is most often a cup of tea. I like hot tea after eating. I may even have a glass of wine during the day. We do not drink sodas in our home.

11. mizzperdue

mizzperdueNew Member

Threads:
    I drink water or gatorade when I'm eating. I need to drink more water than anything. I just started drinking gatorade and I am hooked on it because it is better than soda and juice.

12. tinyfang

tinyfangMember

Threads:
    For dinner, I usually drink either tea or some sort of herbal soup. For lunch and breakfast, it's almost always tea. However, I do occasionally drink Perrier or milk. Sometimes, when I go out, I may have a beer or two. When that happens, I normally order a Sleeman's Honey Brown.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I mostly drink water, but I also make a couple of pitchers of iced tea. If you buy the National Cup teabags at Walmart for $1 and the Great Value sugar, my daughter and I figured out one day that each pitcher of iced tea costs 25 cents, cheaper than soda.

14. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I usually feel like water after eating. I'll drink soy milk if I want to wash a taste out of my mouth or if I'm having cookies or some dessert. I used to drink orange juice with breakfast sometimes but it's too sweet for me now.

15. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I drink water as well when I eat a meal. The only time I drink flavored drinks are when I take my 4:00pm snack. Actually, I don't usually drink flavored drinks that often these days due to the fact that I'm living a healthier lifestyle, but I still enjoy it every once in a while.

Water is still and probably always will be my favorite drink.

16. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I shop at the farmer's market and sometimes there is an abundance of citrus. In those instances, I can make my own juice, so the cost of drinking it isn't a factor. Also, you can stretch juices by mixing them with tea to create a fruity drink that's less sweet (read less calories for those with that concern) and get in more water. With my meals I either have wine, water (can be still or sparkling), tea (green or jasmine) or juice. Occasionally I have coffee, but I try to stick to things that don't mess with digestion.

17. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I drink what ever is left. I stock my house with all of my favorite drinks. Whenever i ate i just open the refrigerator, and just pick one. It doesn't really matter what it is because i only buy thing that i like. Usually it is Apple juice.

18. Scottie

ScottieMember

Threads:
    I mostly just drink water when I'm home. I rarely drink juice because I want my skin to look clean and water is what aids in that. Water is good for your health, if you drink a glass of water before you eat it will make you feel full. the best way to diet is to eat slow!