What Do You Give To Someone Who Already Has It All?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Jasmine2015 • Dec 19, 2015.

1. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    Especially around the holiday seasons people want to give more gifts than usual. Though what would you give to someone who is rich and already has it all? I was recently watching TV when Tyrese, a famous singer, just bought an island for his daughter and she couldn't be older than like 8 or 10. How do you top off buying someone an island? Most people aren't that rich but for those who do have some rich friends what would you give them?

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is a difficult predicament. For my husband who seems to be a simple man but who also seems to have everything, I always have a hard time thinking of what to give him. But amid the expensive gifts we buy for our friends and relatives, I would give my husband new briefs or sometimes hankies and socks. And he appreciates that more than expensive items like watch that he doesn't wear or tablet that he doesn't use often.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Once you know someone you buy something personal that they would appreciate. Most friends that I know who are rich tend to go out to expensive restaurants, or buy something that is limited edition. It should be the thought that counts more than anything else though.

Most men appreciate a good bottle of whiskey, and women will always appreciate something from Chanel.

4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    There is something that you might give, and something this is priceless with no one able to buy no matter how rich a person could be; your time.

Offer this person to do something that involves not only an effort on your side but time devoted to get it done; clean the kitchen after dinner if the person has nobody to do it or something like that.

Even better, offer time to be together and play a tabletop game you played sometime when you were kids (supposing you meet this person since) or something based on this suggestion.

If you cannot figure out what, then try to thin of something sentimental; perhaps you may get a family photo of his/her childhood days somehow to frame and wrap for a nice gift.

5. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    There are two ways to deal with this:
    1.) Actually ask them about what they'd like. It works especially well because a lot of people actually completely hate surprises.
    2.) If you actually know someone, then you should know their interests: If Mike likes art focus on art related things: tickets to a special exhibit, a decent brand of art supplies, a picture from an artist he loves, or a gift card to an artsy place... like that shop that gives you wine while you paint in my area. I love that place.

Either way - it really is the thought that counts. Because nobody has to buy anything, but they care enough to do so and that's wonderful. It's an affirmation of you as a person that someone is willing to give time, effort, and money to gift you with something. Also you really can't go wrong with chocolate (said the chocoholic).

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    When this happens to me I usually just look for something I can make by hand so the item will have some uniqueness and hopefully some value to the recipient. If the person I'm giving the gift to is rich and has everything I'll just make something like a trinket or maybe even some food or dessert. That way, I get to show that I am putting effort into giving them some joy and I even get to save myself some money which they probably won't mind as much since they could just buy whatever they want in any store anyway.

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I'll tell you that everyone loves food...being a Libra, I do love food to give and get. You'll never go wrong with giving food that'll be enjoyed. Depending on your budget for gifts, you can give Godiva chocolates or See's Chocolate of Russel Stover Candies. It's up to you for you know your friends the best. If they are vegan who are rich, something from The Good Earth that you know they'll enjoy is good. Whether young or old food is always appreciated and always enjoyed and appreciated. Happy Holidays!

8. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Personalized gift bags or boxes are what I like to go with in that situation. You can pick up travel sized toiletries, their favorite foods or create a theme. One year I got a homemade cappuccino blend in a decorated mason jar. It saved me many trips to Starbucks.

9. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    It's actually quite true - giving someone cookies or great snacks (chocolate dipped pretzels) or the like is both cheaper and likely to go over well. This can be especially true if they have allergies you know about and which limit what they can usually fine to enjoy. I know several people who have gluten allergies or intolerances, and my gluten-free cookies and cakes never fail to get a smile out of them.

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    If they're drinkers, an aged bottle of their preferred brand of liquor would probably be a good bet. Even though someone may be rich, they may not always buy the good stuff on a regular basis. For example, if they like Johnny Walker brand scotch, there are several versions of it which are progressively more expensive and aged. The "red" version is the cheapest but they also sell more expensive "blue" and "gold" versions. Same goes for rum - and I say this as a big fan of Mount Gay rum - they sell their standard stuff which is around $15 a bottle, or you can get their extra aged rum which is around $30 a bottle and fantastically smooth.

I like the food idea as well - even the most expensive and decadent cakes/pastries can still be reasonably priced overall.

11. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This works for year round, not just at Christmas time, so I'm adding my two cents, for what they're worth ;).

I agree with @MyDigitalpoint@MyDigitalpoint, and think that those who have everyTHING already have lots of things. One thing they might appreciate more than anything else is your time. Nothing can replace time spent with those we care about, so why not plan to spend a day/evening/weekend together. Your gift could be a home cooked meal, a photo album of special times together (doesn't have to be for a romantic partner, parents, siblings and friends could also appreciate this), a poem, short story or song if you're talented, painting or drawing, just a drive alone in the country or a walk or picnic on the beach. There are so many gifts that don't involve spending a lot of money, and this would be a nice thread to collect them in.

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Rich? I'd donate to people in need in their name.

13. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not being funny, but some of these celebrities just go way OTT! A whole island for an 8 year old, I mean really LOL? What does he get her for her 21st, a whole country LOL? Oh well, I guess it's his money.

I think a lot of these rich people who have everything actually appreciate the simple things in life. Obviously, you'd have to know them well to decide what they'd appreciate and like the most. I agree that personalised stuff may be very appealing to them, especially stuff that money can't buy.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Aside from giving them their favorite food, have a custom made item for them like a pen with the name or initials engraved in it, I think that would be appreciated, or a custom shirt with their name on it.

15. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    That's really a tough situation to be in if you have a rich friend, not knowing what to give them during situations that requires gifts can be really stressful, especially if you have limited budget. I guess something personalized will suffice. If they are good people, they will appreciate gifts no matter the monetary value.

16. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I recently had a conversation around this with a friend who comes from a privileged background and has himself worked very hard to make money of his own. Just like I thought, he said although he has everything, doesn't want for anything, it's always nice when friends offer something, it doesn't really matter how cheap or expensive the gift, because it's really the thought that counts. He likes to know that his friends are not just there because of who he is or what he can offer them, that they do think of him too and will do little things for him too as opposed to just taking all the time. We aren't minted, but we do get him stuff from time to time because we realise just how much he appreciates it. Plus he's also VERY generous. The last gift we got him was a limited edition bottle of Jameson he'd never had before and we could see just how happy he was with it!

17. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My first thought is to not worry about trying to "impress" that person. I obviously don't have the same kind of money that a rich friend or relative has, and they already know that. I'm sure they wouldn't want me breaking the bank to get them a gift.

So, I try to do or buy something very thoughtful, that shows it's especially for them. It can be something big or small, and something that doesn't cost a lot, if it's clear that it's a thoughtful gift that's intended to make them feel special. Now, some of those things might cost more than what you'd normally spend for such an item, but the overall price tag isn't too extreme. For example, I wouldn't buy myself a $17 dollar monogrammed bar of handmade soap, but I might buy it as a gift. I think 17 bucks in terms of a gift isn't bad.

18. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I suppose what what you give to a person is not inherently valued on the basis of the cost only. A gift can be costly but have little sentimental value. The symbolism of the fact that someone remembers and values you is the most important thing. Some of the expensive gifts given to others tend to be impersonal and should be given more to the needy than those who can afford them.

19. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    One thing I can give someone is my time and what I can afford to treat that person. I'm saving up for a spa treatment for me and my mom in a few months time. If there's someone who really deserves it other than my boy, it's my mom. She's been through a lot and I hope I can make things easier for her someday.

20. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    I have heatd that giving of one's time and talents would be good for someone who has everything. Or possibly a momento that has a sentimental meaning would be good as well.