What Do You Like About Your Greenhouse?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by dawnolsen • May 30, 2015.

1. dawnolsen

dawnolsenMember

Threads:
    I have had an open garden with no covering of any sort for 2 years now and every year it is destroyed by hail. I am thinking of having my husband make me a small greenhouse in the hopes of actually being able to grow my garden this year. What do you like about greenhouses?
    Do you grow larger and more bountiful plants?

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a wise idea to put a cover over your garden if there is a tendency of hail or heavy weather in your region. In the past, when I lived in the tropics, I had to protect my plants from the strong sun and excessive monsoonal downpour. So, instead of building a greenhouse, I found it to be just as effective to cover my plants with shade cloth. I built a sturdy bamboo structure around my plants and covered everything up with dark green shade cloth. It filtered out the sun and rain and created a perfect environment for my plants to thrive in. My chickens also thought it was paradise. :)

3. dawnolsen

dawnolsenMember

Threads:
    Sadly, I did not even think about covering my plants with a shade cloth! I already have a garden fenced so it would not be too hard to cover my plants with cloth. This route sounds cheaper than building a green house. In my area we tend to get quiet a bit of hail. Do the shade cloths hold up well to hail and wind? The hail we receive is generally small but with the accompanying wind it can get brutal.