What Do You Look For In A House?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Rosyrain • Apr 25, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    We are going to be buying a house in the next year or two and the main focus for us is to be more self sustaining. I want to have a yard big enough in which I can have a large vegetable garden and maybe some fruit bushes. I would also like to have a room that I can devote to making things to use around The House instead of buying them, along with a large storage room that I can store bulk supplies in. My other half would like a shop so he could build things and work on cars. What do you look for in a house?

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Your new home sounds like it will be very modern and efficient. My new home needs to have lots of light for my plants and open space, I like the open floor plan style in a home. Open areas help to relax me, I don't care to be behind closed doors or small spaces for long periods of time.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on the location, but storage space is always an issue and outdoor space. Somewhere you can grow things but also maybe build a summerhouse or hut to get away in. Privacy is another factor and how close you are to neighbors and how quiet the neighborhood is. I look for possibilities to adapt a home to my own taste, so the floor plan and how it's laid out also matters.

4. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    I would like to have big bedrooms. That is where we spend most of our time and I need space to install a home theater, fridge heater, AC, a big bed (I'm a tall man) and so on. I'm fed up with congested space in big cities and big costs. Besides, I love large open space where I can grow a lawn to just sit and relax with my wife and kids. Gardening, I'd leave it to my wife, though, I enjoy fresh, oxygenated air.

5. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    For me, neighborhood was more important than house details. Main thing we needed was more space, but it is easy to say "4 bedrooms" and go from there.

In our last move, I knew exactly what neighborhood I wanted to live in. The house we bought has enough bedrooms and a finished basement, which was a bonus. We are happy the yard is larger and we are happy the house itself is overall built better than our last house, but generally speaking, I would have compromised on many things just to get this particular neighborhood.

All that said, you have to look at the overall value. How much money are you spending versus how much you will have to put into it later? You know?

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The most important thing for me is the location. I prefer to live in the country, so it's vital for me to have a good water supply on my property, along with fertile soil. It goes without saying that I want peace. So, I would want to know what my neighbors are up to, whether they have some kind of business that makes a lot of noise or would disturb me in some other way. The house itself would have to be simple. Either made of wood or stone. I wouldn't mind living in a caravan while I construct my home from scratch.

7. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I think the area for me is the most important. Having said that even a good area can go sour relatively quickly. My own area was very prestigious in the 1980#s but now is becoming very crime ridden over time. I think having nice south facing windows for the living room is an important factor too.

8. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wherever I live has to be a decent neighborhood with a low crime rate, or at least as low as I can afford. The place has to accommodate at least my pets and me, as well as some extra room for visitors. I'd love to have an area I could close off, where I could work on my designs without interruptions. I would be happier with a larger kitchen. I want counter and prep space, and a NICE gas stove. The place doesn't have to be too large, unless I had another person living with me. I'd be happy with 1,200 - 1,500 sq ft, because I don't have the energy to clean much more than that, and I would love a good sized bedroom with en suite bathroom, and it must have a deep tub, so I could soak, for my neck, back and shoulder issues. The tubs in this house do nothing but tantalize, then disappoint me, every time. Oh, and outdoor space is a must. I don't necessarily require a huge yard, because I'm not a fan of yard work, but at least a little grass would be nice, and a porch is a must. I would really love a raised house. I would be ok with a home on stilts, and I would put a gate and intercom at the bottom of the stairs. A moat would be great. Have I mentioned I enjoy privacy?

9. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I have a pretty long must have list for when purchasing a house, they include:

open concept main floor
    at least 4 bedrooms
    at least 2 full bathrooms
    a study
    a finished basement
    and a fairly large backyard for a garden and playing badminton

I watch a lot of home decor shows and they have such beautiful properties shown on these shows. Also, my family is huge, so when I do have gatherings, I'd love the space. It also has to have a modern look for sure.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If money weren't an object, I'd want a really spacious house, a big yard and a swimming pool. I'd love to have at least 3-4 sizeable bedrooms, with at least two being en suite. Oh to dream **sigh**. Good luck finding your dream house :)

11. yvannahgeorgianne

yvannahgeorgianneNew Member

Threads:
    I'd really want a house with a lot of bedrooms and has at least 2 bathrooms so if ever I'd take long in the shower there are other bathrooms they can use. I also want a huge kitchen since I really enjoy baking and a huge garage for future cars I would own. Well at least that's the dream.

12. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The longer I live here, the more I realize it's not just the neighborhood that's important, but where within the neighborhood the house is, that matters. In this neighborhood, each street is a different experience for those living there, and sometimes which end of the street, as well. All it takes is one bad neighbor, to ruin the whole experience. I'm pretty lucky, and have decent neighbors, but not everyone is so fortunate.

I recommend when you find a house you're interested in, that you drive by not just once, but several times, at different times of the day, and both day and night, as well as weekends. Talk to neighbors, if possible, to see what they're like, and what their experience has been like, living there. Also, at least if you're in the U.S., check on

for information about the area, as well as specific statistics, and sometimes personalized information from the members.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    One of the most important factors for me would be location as I want the house to be in a safe neighborhood and also I want the location to be convenient in terms of being close to the establishments I know I would frequent as well as being easily accessible for possible guests. It's why I think it's also important to scout all possible roads and have a good vision of possible potential of the future of both the house and the whole area in general.

14. Natalie89

Natalie89Member

Threads:
    I'm currently looking to downsize, so for me I'll be looking at the area, but probably in a different way to how other people would. For my circumstances a large 3 bed end terrace isn't economical.
    The other draw for me this time around will be a garden, as I don't currently have anywhere to grow things, or for my boy to play.
    Other than that, when I've bought before, a lot of weighting goes into the kitchen and bathroom, and if there's any odd smells!

15. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I look for sturdiness and quality, because I would not want to go through the process again any time soon. I have a thing about windows, doors and ample storage room. I, too, would want a garden space and a room for an office and production. Plumbing, electrical and insulation are important to check too.

16. rikka

rikkaMember

Threads:
    I can be very picky when choosing a house, but here are mine:

* The bathroom should have tiles, the kind you see in rich people in Hollywood movies. And most of all, the bathroom should have more than adequate supply of water. Having water is what I look out for even in malls, hotels, and even on vacation.

* The house should have a yard suitable enough for planting vegetables or medium-sized trees.

* The location also matters to me. If the place is high-end but is not accessible to churches, malls, groceries, hospitals, my workplace, or government offices, sorry, I am not going to take that house. If the frequency of transportation would seem like seeing a camel pass by once in every five hours, then sorry, I am not buying such house.

* Security matters too.

* I want a sturdy house too. I want to make sure the foundation is built well.

17. Rzashida

RzashidaActive Member

Threads:
    I look at the neighborhood first. Then I check the rating on the schools in that area. Finally, when I look at the house I make sure there is no termite damage, rat droppings, and make sure the roof isn't leaking. It is really hard to know all the faults a house holds before you move into it.