What do you not buy at thrift stores?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by andrew320 • May 30, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Over the past year, I decided to shop at thrift stores, such as Value Village, especially for dress shirts. I have this problem where the collar goes yellow so it's a waste of money to buy brand new shirts all the time (I will on occasion). I also buy a pair of pants twice a year at a thrift shop, like Tommy Hilfiger pants. I would never buy shoes or a blazer from there.

What do you not buy a thrift stores? Would you even shop at one?

2. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    I buy many things from my thrift store. I can't think of anything I wouldn't buy. I can usually spend about 50 dollars and out fit all 5 of my boys. I have also bought toys and games and dishes. They break everything so fast and grow so fast I would be broke if I had to pay store prices.

3. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    I would not buy flipflops from a thrift store because they are so cheap. I've purchased designer boots in the past that were in very good condition. I'm not against shoes if they are in good condition and nice quality. I would not buy jeans because most of the time the jeans look out-dated. I would not purchase things that are personal/intimate -- such as socks and loungewear.

4. hanzuke50

hanzuke50Member

Threads:
    I think, for me, it's an unwritten rule to not buy underwear from thrift stores. You can't wash off the though that some stranger's genitals have been on the briefs you're putting on. Anything else, for me, is all cool though. xD

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Shoes, socks, undergarmets, towels and bedding are all on my "no" list. I usually shop for tools and housewares when I go to a thrift store so I rarely even look at clothing.

6. nherie

nherieMember

Threads:
    Socks, underwear, bras, etc unless they were prepackaged. Like if someone donated an unopened pack of Hanes Her Way, I would buy them. I also wouldn't purchase shoes because I have heard that you can get warts that way. Don't know how true that is. I wouldn't buy sweat clothes. I try to stick with jeans, pants, and sweaters.

7. Cheseloo

CheselooMember

Threads:
    Mmmmm I just can't get with the smell of thrift stores not that I have anything against them. It may just be childhood trauma when my grandmother used to make me shop at Goodwill with her, she even purchased my girl scout uniformed used from there!

8. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Things that generally are not purchased from thift stores are personal items like - underwear, towels, and bedding. Otherwise it doesn't really matter.

9. happyrocinante

happyrocinanteBanned

Threads:
    I don't buy any undergarments, sheets, towels, or shoes from thrift stores. It is mainly because either it's "icky" or they are generally too worn to be helpful anyway. I also can't buy anything there for my husband because of his size and his tastes. He is impossible. He tends to wear mainly dark colors like black which fades quickly so buying second hand faded clothes wouldn't really be smart. I have to buy all his things new but luckily he doesn't need new clothes often.

10. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    I found a beautiful matching bed set. It had curtains and bedspread and sheets. I just had the spread dry cleaned and washed the sheets in vinegar. Anything can be cleaned and disinfected. The set only cost me 5 dollars.

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I thought I would never buy anything from a thrift store. Then a couple of years ago, a friend dragged me to one. That opened my eyes. There are some seriously great bargains to be had. The things I would never buy are used shoes and underwear. Nope.

12. AlwaysAMama

AlwaysAMamaActive Member

Threads:
    Undergarments, towels, bedding, and I generally do not purchase shoes used unless they are baby shoes or were barely used. Its band for your feet to wear someone elses shoes as they have been molded by that persons arch.

13. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I would never, under ANY circumstance, purchase bras, underwear, socks, used body products, hair accessories (rubber bands, headbands, etc.). I have, however, purchased shoes, accessories (belts), jewelry, and clothing from thrift stores without any problems.

14. love2loveu

love2loveuMember

Threads:
    I do believe that the most common item that people would not buy from a thrift shop is under garments.

15. mariaandrea

mariaandreaMember

Threads:
    I shop at Value Village and Goodwill all the time and I don't think I've ever seen undergarments even sold there. I don't buy shoes, but that's it. Everything else is fair game. And I always wash everything really well that I buy before I use it. Like Becky said, anything can be disinfected and then it's perfectly fine. It's a great way to outfit a kitchen for very little money - I've gotten some great dishes and cookware.

16. clauemi

clauemiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy any clothing, shoes, anything that I would have to wear. Honestly some clothes do look decent but you never know what the previous owner was like, they could have been super gross. I also don't buy toys since you never know if they are missing parts or too old to be safe.

17. j_pin

j_pinActive Member

Threads:
    Cups and dishes because that really bothers me for some reason and UNDERWEAR! How do they sell underwear at the thrift store?? I have seen this before a few times and it greatly disturbs me.

18. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Yes, that's about my list as well, although I will buy shoes if the look unworn. I look at the soles, because that's the real giveaway. I've bought some beautiful formal wear from thrift shops in the past, and as long as there is no 'musty' smell in evidence when I enter the shop, I'll rummage through the rails for bargains. On more than one occasion, I've bought good quality clothes with the store label still attached.

19. kittykarina

kittykarinaActive Member

Threads:
    I would never buy undergarments from a thrift store. You never know who wore them. Everything else is fine. I buy used clothing and accessories from thrift stores all the time.

20. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    The main things I cannot bring myself to buying from a thrift store is the underwear or socks. These are to close to the persons skin and can easily lead to an infection of some type which is possible. However, I know they are supposed to clean these items, but still if they are not in the brand new wrapper I do not feel comfortable wearing them.