What Do You Prefer? Higher Prices Or Lesser Quality/quantity

Discussion in Product Reviews started by yesterdaysmiles • May 7, 2015.

1. yesterdaysmiles

yesterdaysmilesNew Member

Threads:
    Over the years, I've noticed product changes that are made in an effort to keep the prices lower. Oreo cookies used to have thicker chocolate cookies, and the middle was creamier. Hostess Twinkies were more like sponge cake than the rubbery (for want of a better word) Twinkies today. Nestle Crunch bar used to have rice crisps in them that were light and added to the flavor, and now the crunch is made of harder pellets that don't deliver as well on the crunch. Would you rather pay more for more, or more for less?

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I comlpetely agree witht his! They have changed and I'm not happy about it! In the case of Nestle Crunch, yes, I would rather pay a little more and have the product back at it's original quality but there are other things that I would be prepared to compromise on.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    "Foods" today are made as cheaply as possible so they can gain the most profit from them. They will do whatever it takes to mimic an ingredient without actually adding that ingredient. And there are other things in the process that don't even have to be added to the ingredients list, all to make the cheapest "food" possible. Making everything smaller is a part of the process and if these things are getting more expensive, I'm very happy to hear that. It's the way it should be. Faux foods should always, always be less accessible than the foods that actually contribute to our longevity. It should hurt the wallet to eat them, not your organs.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To me, it depends on the item. I agree, many food products nowadays are made with cheaper ingredients. At the same time, the packaging is being changed to fool us (those who don't check labels and keep track of it) into thinking it has stayed the same, by doing things such as putting a bump in the center bottom, or squeezing the width, and calling it ergonomic, so we'll actually think the company cares about us. I might splurge on a package of cookies or candy that I want, but I won't necessarily purchase it again, if I'm disappointed, and the experience might bump me up to a higher quality product, if I can afford it. I generally prefer quality over quantity, but if it's something I won't be using much, sometimes I will sacrifice quality to save a little money.

5. yesterdaysmiles

Threads:
    JosieP, you hit on something that struck me as I was writing my post. I noticed that the food examples I gave were junk food, things that can be played with and changed. I agree with you that it's good that prices on junk food will go up, as the quality and quantity go down. As I've aged, my tastes have changed, but every once in a while, I want something junky. I'm glad that the food I prefer now stays steady, and pretty much unchangeable.

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In a general sense, quality will always have an edge over quantity. However, some manufacturers have already made efforts to bridge the gap between quality and affordability as well as quality and quantity. After shopping through countless supermarkets, I've noticed several food items can now be bought at reasonable prices. Quality need not be sacrificed. For one, I find buy-one-take-one, set and other such deals really helpful. It's just a matter of knowing where to look.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've quantity and portion sizes seem smaller and also packaging is. I think quantity has been reduced rather than quality so the prices can stay the same and profits can increase.

I think companies are looking at profits, but also to keep customers so the changes are slight. My mother has noticed this is cosmetics too as jars seem smaller and the ingredients have changed too, maybe cheaper ingredients or a change of formula.

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, most people will want something junky from time to time.. true moderation, not everyone's current idea of it. Which brings me to my point.. "junk food" is no different from most "foods" on the shelves. Sometimes it will have more salt or sugar, for example, but as I usually say.. cover the front of the package, only look at the back and suddenly your whole pantry is looking pretty similar. From junk to what everyone considers non-junky. This is my problem with the food industry.. there is no such thing as moderation anymore.

9. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with you @yesterdaysmiles@yesterdaysmiles. So much has changed that some of these brands shouldn't even be able to call their products by the same names any more. I would much rather receive a smaller portion of the higher quality product, or see the price raised a bit, than have an inferior product. I've often said this.

I'd rather pay a bit more for quality. Just be honest about it when you shrink the size and don't try to fool people. I remember one product that kept using the same container but started filling it less. People do notice that. Don't try to fool them, just be honest and get on with it.

10. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    My neighbor and I were just talking about this subject. I have found that my selection process in the grocery store has leaned toward more healthier choices. Instead paying $4.00 for a box of name brand sweetened cereal I'd rather it be for a name brand one that provides me more health benefits. When these are on sale that helps a lot on the pocketbook.

My quantity of items have been limited to one to avoid as much waste as possible. Once it's gone, it's gone.

11. yesterdaysmiles

Threads:
    Do you think the "healthy lifestyle" is here to stay, or do you think it's just the current trend that will eventually pass? I hope it stays, but with all the gimmick strategies out there in an effort to make money, is this just the current moneymaker?

Zyni, do you ever feel as though the product companies are calling us dummies? An example of why I ask this comes to mind. A few years ago, I was looking at the ingredients and amounts in Excedrin Migraine, and realized they were exactly the same as in the regular Excedrin. I don't know if it's the same way now, but I wonder how they get away with it...any of them.

I've noticed the shrinking quantity too. I don't like it any better than less quality. Diane Lane mentioned in her post that companies add filler bumps to disguise the fact that although the quantity is less, the packaging stays the same. This is the sort of thing that happens when we give anyone too much control over our choices. We become controlled or manipulated. What can we expect since all the garden spaces of the old days now sprout houses?

To be fair, the companies need to make profits. It's understandable, but you would think they could find a way to please all the people, all the time ;) I guess it's unrealistic to think they would put an "Up Front and Honest With Consumers" notice on the packaging stating, "Due to increasing costs, we have lessened the quality and quantity of our product."

#11May 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
  12. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It does feel rather insulting at times. I had the same experience with the Excedrin v. Excedrin Migraine. I'm not sure what the formula is now, but I remember when it was new, checking it out. I had to laugh. I guess as long as they aren't charging more for that package, it's not quite so bad, but yeah. I don't like it when they try to insult my intelligence. Make a good product. It will basically sell itself.

13. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. I believe the healthy lifestyle has always been here. It's just become more prevalent to the public through the media and of course profitable to businesses.

14. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the changes I'm familiar with are a cheaper made product with a higher price. I can go to the store down the road a ways and buy a can of come, which is no where near as good as it used to be, for $.89. This same product, with superior ingredients used to be $.50. That's just one example of many. If I had a choice I would say it depends on the item and what kind of a difference in price, compared to the difference in quality.

15. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’ve definitely noticed the change in Nestle Crunch bars over the years. They used to be one of my favorites, but now they’re more or less inedible. I’ve seen it in a few other products, though I can’t think of them off the top of my head, so I’m another one who would rather pay slightly higher prices for better quality ingredients. And it also drives me batty when quantity is reduced and we’re expected to pay the same price, or sometimes more.

16. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually, the typical diet today is more a fad than anything, if you want to look at it that way. "Healthy eating" is just eating.. it's always been and should always be, unless these industries completely eradicate it for their benefit. "Healthy eating" is real food. Food that has been here since forever in one evolved state or another. It's the foods in a grocery store that are the fad.. they haven't been here very long, there's no telling where this is all heading with people waking up about what they put in their bodies.

17. MMercury

MMercuryNew Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I have noticed that change too. It seems like companies are looking for a way to make things cheaper and get more money for themselves without caring about the customers. They say that customers want cheaper prices but I know many people, myself included, who would pay more for higher quality items.

For me, I think it depends on the product. I honestly don't really care about oreos or junk food but I do go for the higher quality beauty products because I care more about quality than price in that case. If I have to pay more then I will pay more.