What Do You Think About Night Cardio

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by iluvmario • Aug 29, 2012.

1. iluvmario

iluvmarioActive Member

Threads:
    I've lost 60 pounds (diet alone)! Am plateaud so joined a gym this month for the last 40 (lost 3 so far!). But am trippin that a trainer said that cardio at night or before bed wasnt a good idea. It slipped my mind to ask why not.

I'd like to cardio train at least 5 days a week. However, I'm a recently single working mom. The days I don't have my daughter is fine and I get my cardio and weight training at the gym after work. However, I have her most the week. I get off work, commute over an hour, pick her up from afterschool care, cook and help w/homework and clean, bathe her, get her to bed @ 8. I eat at my desk at work instead of run/walk because I need that hour to leave work earlier because my commute is so ratchet.

I can throw in a Zumba or Insanity DVD and get to it after 8pm and meet my 5 day a week goal. Right now, I can squeeze in 2-3 at the gym. Nothing at home.

Why would cardio at night be so bad? Anyone workout nights like this? Does it cause you trouble? I can't be the only one with a jacked up schedule. How do you do it? Ideas?

2. retnam

retnamMember

Threads:
    Congratulations on the weight loss! The reason why people say 'don't work out at night' is because it [supposedly] will make you wired. For some (not me) working out will give you a jolt of energy. You also burn less while sleeping so if you work out, then go straight to bed, you don't get all the residual benefits/calorie burn. Some say morning workouts, before breakfast are ideal.

I say, do what works best for you. I've never in my life felt anything but exhausted after a workout. I exercise, take a shower, and I'm out for the night. Unless working out in the evening, leads to some disruption of your schedule, I would just stick to what you are doing. Any workout is better than no workout. Good luck. :)

3. Ton3h

Ton3hNew Member

Threads:
    I have exercised at night and it hasn't given me any problems. I would suppose the fact that you risk waking up tomorrow feeling tired is troublesome for a lot of people, especially those that work first shifts, but otherwise you should be okay.
    Don't overdo it though, you might have trouble falling asleep. That's has happened to me several times.

4. Ich bin Gia

Ich bin GiaMember

Threads:
    I have also heard that cardio at night is not advisable because it keeps you awake. I prefer to do my cardio at night because I then come home, shower and relax by watching a movie or reading and then sleep like a baby. I am too grouchy/sluggish in the morning to do much. :D

5. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know about other people but I find I'm extremely tired after a good work-out and can easily hit the hay and get some sleep so working out later in the day suits me better than working out on a morning. I have much more energy to burn off in the afternoon or evening than I do first thing on a morning. I say, go with whatever suits you personally.