What do you think about "retiring" toys (like Beanie Babies, Disney)?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Zyni • Dec 6, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My kids used to love Beanie Babies when they were little. Of course, now their collections take up space at my house, lol. This is one of the companies that will sometimes "retire" a certain model, which obviously creates a bigger demand than supply. So, naturally, the price will go up, sometimes very high. What do you think about this tactic? I also remember Disney putting some movies "in the vault" for 20 years or whatever. What is your opinion of companies who do this kind of stuff?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    All those companies are in business to make HUGE profits when they can. If they've lit on a strategy that actually gets them what they're after then there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Is it unethical? Maybe. But since they don't force anyone to buy the toys at exorbitant prices when they start selling them again, no one should complain about the prices. There are millions of others toys which are cheaper after all.

3. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I can't say for Beanie Babies since I never had it, but I think with Disney movies when they put it in the vault it doesn't mean that they won't ever take it out again. I remember them putting a movie in the vault but have taken it out after like 5 or 10 years or something like that. I would see why they would put special edition ones or something would never be produced again but many of the Disney movies that are available now and available before will probably be available later on.

4. jcort

jcortMember

Threads:
    I took the tag off one of my Beanie Babies, sewed a pacifier on the end, and made a homemade Wubbanub for my infant daughter (If you don't know what that is, just Google it). It was way cheaper than they usually go for, and she loves it.

I didn't feel like storing Beanie Babies for years. Maybe I'm missing out on an eventual gold mine, but I wanted to keep my storage space free.