What do you think about shopping on Black Friday?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Plinko • Nov 7, 2013.

1. Plinko

PlinkoMember

Threads:
    I read in the news recently that some people are mad at Kmart because they plan on being open for 41 straight hours on Black Friday weekend, beginning early on the morning of US Thanksgiving. People are saying that Kmart is causing their employees to miss out on family time and enjoying Thanksgiving with their loved ones.

For me, I can enjoy the day just as much as if I spent the day (or even the day after Thanksgiving) with family and friends eating tacos. I have to admit that I was much more traditional when my kids were young. I wanted them to remember our Thanksgivings together and so I tried to follow family traditions. But now that they're grown, I don't care what we eat, as long as we are all together. Imo, Thanksgiving isn't about a particular day, it's about a particular attitude.

I haven't given much thought about shopping on Black Friday. I haven't gone out on a Black Friday since Furbies were the craze and I saw people punching each other just to get their hands on one.

Do you go shopping on Black Friday weekend? If so, do you feel bad for the store employees that are working?

2. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    Well, it comes down to one thing. The companies see where the money is and follow the money. If people decided one year to not go black friday shopping, the stores would still be open.

Inevitably someone would go out of fear of missing a great deal. Stores will see this and think its a good idea to keep opening on black friday.

So its an endless cycle.

3. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To be honest I rarely go to the actual stores to get things... black fridays are usually way too crowded for my taste, and the stores are always sold out of the items I want, so I get more frustrated than anything else. But I do a good amount of online shopping when I find good stuff. I find it way easier to shop like that.

4. Annetteb

AnnettebActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mind shopping on black friday, but I stopped trying to get up super early trying to beat the crowds. Me and my sister go at a regular time and we manage to get a lot of good buys. We still have to wait a long time at the register, but we do come out with almost everything we went in for.

5. KC Evans

KC EvansMember

Threads:
    I agree that Black Friday is one of the best days to catch a bargain. However, my question is, is it worth it? People are so aggressive and selfish when it comes to this shopping holiday. I don't understand how people enjoy that experience. Getting pushed, beat up or trampled on over something that's probably on sale for 5-10 dollars cheaper than it's original price is not worth it to me. I rather shop online ;)

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never gone shopping on the big shopping days. I don't need to save a buck that badly lol

7. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I went shopping on Black Friday a few years back and it was absolutely terrible. The lines took about two hours and I came home exhausted and wasn't even too happy with what I got. I now only shop online and its a much better and satisfying experience for me.

8. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I never experience shopping in store during black friday. I hate falling in line so early to buy stuff. I think it's better to buy online. If you are just planning to buy simple stuff then it is not worth it to wake up early or stay awake in go to the store early.

9. Cara18

Cara18Member

Threads:
    Personally I think Black Friday is both a good and bad thing. I think it is good because of the extreme price drops but I hate how crazy and hectic everyone gets and acts. I prefer cyber Monday. I also believe it isn't fair for workers to be able to enjoy their Thanksgiving. They should allow employee to choose if they work or hire some new people just for holiday so at least they know ahead of time.

10. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    I've done it once and it is not my thing. Being up at 5am to go deal with a bunch of lunatics is not my idea of fun. You also have to consider that there are many equally good deals on cyber monday.

11. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I try to avoid the Black Friday sale because there are some people who are very aggressive about this day. I think the majority of people who shop on Black Friday would want to get the best deal possible on the the items they buy. I try to stay away the insanity, which I would do my shopping a few weeks prior the holiday.

12. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    I don't go out shopping on Black Friday and never will. People are too vicious on Black Friday. It's dangerous and there are too many crowds to fight. I do, however, look for Black Friday deals online.