What Do You Think Of NFC?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by DrRipley • Oct 28, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    mollywood-apple-payments-videoSixteenByNine540.

I know NFC payment has been around for a while but now that Apple has gotten aboard and introduced their own NFC payment method through Apple Pay, I'm thinking that it will probably gain a bit more traction. I'm just not sure how much and for how long since I'm still not convinced that people are ready to make the leap as of now.

That said, I'd love to know what you guys think of this. Do you think it's just a passing fad?, or do you think it is here to stay? Will it be the future payment method of choice for the majority?

2. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    It needs some time to get mature but right now I think it's an awesome idea, and a good way to take advantage of Bluetooth like technology. Since people keep their phones with them just like (or sometimes more than) their banking cards, it would make sense that if there were a way to take advantage of phones as payment methods that people would jump on it pretty quick. It's here to stay for sure, especially with Apple Pay becoming a thing.

3. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I think people need to give the payment method a chance. It's not being advertised as much or even discussed in the retail stores as a preferred method of payment. It's really annoying for people who actually want to use the technology to be told that it's not yet supported by the store. When it was first introduced I was responding with joy, because the system has higher security than paying with credit card at the store. I was super excited but then I went to my regular shopping arena nearby and they don't even have a working phone line at certain days of the week, and we still needed phone line to pay with a debit or a credit card. I thought it was going to take longer than just five years after it's introduction in 2008 for the technology to be implemented. :p

I first learned of NFC from Nokia guys, from whom I get my mobile phones. I was really excited when they joined forces with other mobile phone manufacturers to create NFC earlier, but then I never heard anything else about the payment method until 2008, and then now again with Apple Pay.

#3Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  4. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    You guys can not be seriously considering this? Please tell me you are kidding! You do understand that NFC will make getting your information easier for thieves right? They tried to use NFC for hotel rooms... guess what happened. Peoples rooms were broken in to and their valuables were stolen. I would reconsider using NFC, at least until they find a way to protect it better then it is now.

5. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I'd be more apt to use it through a credit card, as that's been around for years, where you can just wave a purse near the terminal, than break out my phone, turn it on and then pay that way. NFC through your phone takes many more steps than I would think necessary.

6. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You're kidding, right? NFC in smartphones as a payment method is highly secure. Card and account information is stored within a secure environment on the phone, and users have to enter a PIN for many transactions still. NFC isn't 100% safe, and no payment method is, but it's a lot safer than most people realize. You don't even have to share your name or card number with a store's employee, if an NFC payment terminal is available. Even if a store's employee doesn't know that the terminal offers NFC, you can handle your transaction without revealing a thing.

7. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    It's still a new technology that has to have its kinks worked out and ensured for quality security when it is used. I don't think I'm going to be comfortable for a long time when I consider using it to make payments at retailers. To me, it doesn't appear anymore of a less security risk in comparison to using a debit card or a credit card, with even more worry that if hacked, the criminal could have access to all the cards you've ever used on it. So while I don't mind NFC for exchanging a few phone files with others, using it for payments is a very iffy subject to me.