What Do You Think Of Spending More To Save?

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by Denis Hard • Dec 1, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You've heard of the deals or stumbled into them from time:

Spend more than $XX and get a 10% discount.
    Buy 6 get 2 free
    Free shipping for all purchases over $XXX

While they sound like great deals and can be for some people if you didn't need something but have to buy more of it, you wouldn't be saving any money.

Do any of you think these spend more and save some money deals are good bargains?

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    However you look at it, you cannot save more by spending more. All right, you get more discount for buying 2 pairs of shoes. But are those shoes serving their purpose? It is just like buying a car on a big discount if you buy 2. And you are alone at home so how would you use the 2 cars? There are limits to discounts and that is determined by the need of the item that you buy. Over-buying is also over-spending in spite of the bigger discount.

3. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    It depends whether you're going to use the item that you're buying. If it's food, for example, that you will be able to store, then I don't think that there's anything wrong with stocking up when you get the chance. Because it is something that you would only have to buy again at some point anyway. But if you're just buying things for the sake of it, that you're never going to be able to use, then this is wrong, and is definitely a waste of money.

4. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Realistically no I don't think they are - apart from the fact that spending more to save money is not exactly what you might call a smart move - for the simple reason - that as the majority of deals these days are nothing more than a marketing tactic aimed at enticing more money out of the consumer and are planned specifically to be profitable solely for the manufacture and the retailer - they rarely ever result in real savings for the consumer.

Particularly when bearing in mind - that as the majority of products have a built in discount these days and its generally only when goods are being sold with a 60 -70% discount that you would actually be buying goods nearer their true value - as a 60-70% discount - is generally the price most goods are originally designed to sell at nowadays - paying more money for a 10% discount would be a far from a wise move.

Which is why - although “ buy-one-get-one free deals “ can sometimes be a bargain - providing they are for something that you need, use regularly and the price is less than buying the exact same items individually - I think it better not to take deals on face value - but to do your own cost calculations and research on anything that you are planning to buy - prior to parting with any money.

5. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I usually only take advantage of the deals that you mentioned if they end up either saving me money or if they allow me to get more for less. For example, there was one instance while shopping online in which if I spent $5 more beyond what I had in my cart, I would get free shipping. Had I not taken advantage of the deal, I would have paid over $10 for shipping on the items in my cart, therefore, spending the extra $5 on merchandise saved me money in the long run.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes if you are talking about food then that is a good deal, especially if you consume lots of it. Over here 711 has a promo of buy 2 take 1 on softdrinks, so if you are an avid soda fan then that is a good deal. I think if the cost is affordable then I would still partake of such deals.