What do you think of subscription based services? Yay or nay?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by daimashin • Aug 2, 2014.

1. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I see a lot of services are opting for the subscription model like Netflix etc. All of it makes it looks like they are great services and offers great value but is this really the case? How many of you are in this kind of services, and do you get your money's worth? It seems to me like unless you use it for at least a set amount of times, we are actually at a lost sometimes.

2. kaylahambrick

kaylahambrickMember

Threads:
    I had netflix, but it wasnt me that was paying for it. Right now I have a 3 month free trial on Hulu, which I do like, but Im not sure if I am going to continue with itafter I am being charged. The thing I dont like is that they dont charge on the same day every month so you never know when you need to have your money in that account. Also, I feel as if sometimes with their 'deals' they try and cheat people out of their money.

3. klassiter

klassiterActive Member

Threads:
    I love subscription websites. I currently subscribe to Netflix and Hulu. I got rid of my cable and now only watch television either by Hulu or Netflix. I was paying over a hundred dollars a month for cable. Now my bill for watching television is half the amount I was paying. This option is not for everyone, but it works for me and my family.

4. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Big fan of subscription sites over contracts because you have control every month whether or not you want to continue with the service. Few years ago, I moved into a house that had an absolutely ridiculous Direct TV contract that we were forced to pay for another year that we weren't happy with. You never have that problem with a site like Netflix. If you're not happy, you just cancel the subscription. That's how it should be.

5. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    I think these are better than simply purchasing the cable packages available to me. We have Netflix, Amazon Prime and Google Play Music as well as Scribd for ebooks...personally, I have made the change from wanting to own all of my movies, music and books to being okay with having access only. I simply realized that I don't watch, listen to or read things more than once for the most part.

6. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Subscription based services can save you money if they are ones you use on a regular basis. For example, Netflix and other companies that offer discounted prices for movies and TV are great for many people. However, others, not so much. For example, no one who surfs the Internet for news stories should pay for a subscription based newspaper. It doesn't make sense, economically. So, choosing this type of set up to get a product is good or bad depending on the situation.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It really just depends on how much you use the services.

Netflix can be great if you like watching older shows in binge sessions or movies that aren't brand new. If you ditch your cable service, you can cut costs nicely.

8. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I use Netflix and Amazon Instant Video. Since I have Amazon Prime, I can watch a good selection for shows that are included in the Prime membership. I definitely think that both of these services are worth the subscription, and I totally get my money's worth out of them. I haven't subscribe to Hulu because I figure that I already have all bases covered with Netflix and Amazon.