What fashion tip do you wish all men would take notice of?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Frogurt • Sep 12, 2014.

1. Frogurt

FrogurtMember

Threads:
    I'm not the most fashionable guy, but I do always pride myself on appearing Neat and tidy in public. I really hate that in many parts of the world guys just look awful and there is a lot of sweatpants and ugg boots appearing in the colder months (like they wear something comfy at home and couldn't be bothered to change into jeans and shoes to go to the shops).

2. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    I am oe of those guys who knows how to take care of myself. I used to be so unhygienic back when I was in school, but now that I am on my own, I know that it's essential to say neat and clean. If you are stylish, some things in life will come really easily to you. You won't have to run after them.

3. Frogurt

FrogurtMember

Threads:
    I think it's important to look after yourself, but I also want to avoid looking out of date or just a fashion disaster. A lot of men I know don't even bother shaving and have really dirty fingernails.

#3Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  4. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    One advice I can give you, you can trust me on this, never wear something just to make yourself look cool. If a shirt or a pair pants makes you look cool or appealing and yet you can't move a muscle because it's too freaking uncomfortable then don't wear it. Confidence and comfort. But if you want to get technical, looking good wearing this and that depends on your body type really so I suggest you try and look it up.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Socks are so important, no white socks with anything except white or gray sneakers. When men wear socks that are too short for them when they sit down you can see whee the socks end or if they are wearing sports socks with a suit, instead of dress socks. Seeing men's calves when they sit down looks wrong and is a bit of a faux pas. Better to have no socks, than socks that come up too short or don't go with the outfit. I have seen men with cartoon emblems on their socks with their business suits!

6. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I think the most important thing a guy needs to be aware of is that a $60 tailored suit looks better than a $300 suit that you didn't get tailored...
    I couldn't believe the difference when I had it done the first time, but an off-the-rack suit is much improved by taking it to a tailor and having it adjusted to your body.

7. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    There's this Chinese saying my grandmother used to tell me that, when a person first looks at you, if you're a woman they'll look at you from the head down and if you're a guy they'll look at you from the feet up. She always emphasized this because to her, it meant that if you're female then your hair needs to be neat and straight and clean (which explains all the tugging she did at my hair to get the knots out when I was younger, ouch!), and as a male you need to present yourself with a good, reputable pair of shoes.

As a female it is so SO important to me that guys don't look like slobs. You don't have to wear a suit and tie every day, but at least take showers and comb your hair or something. And another thing (this goes for everyone though), check your body odor and your breath; those two things can scare people away from you faster than you can ask why.

8. jackie1990

jackie1990New Member

Threads:
    Pants that don't fit are my pet peeve. Seriously guys, it would not hurt to properly get fitted for a pair when you go shopping instead of just guessing what your size is and grabbing the first thing that appeals to you. Take your time, ask a (stylish and honest) friend for some help and steer clear of pants that are too short, too tight or too baggy. And yes, belts are important and necessary. Make use of them!

9. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    My only advice: Stay simple. Just because male models look wonderful wearing those tight jeans and boots doesn't mean another person would look good in them, too. I like it when men just wear simple jeans and a polo shirt. Please never ever wear skinny jeans especially the multi-colored ones. The never-too-tight fashion rule also applies to shirts.

10. EvanCross19

EvanCross19Member

Threads:
    I would say to try to find a happy medium between stylish and comfortable. Polos and jeans can be just as attractive as anything else. If you're wanting to look a little better without ruining comfortability, then go with some khakis and a nice button-up shirt. Always wear your size. Like previously mentioned, too tight and too loose is just not appealing.

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't mind comic book shirts, or video game shirts, or guys that look nerdy. I like the nerdy look. I like alternative or counterculture looks on men.
    I would only suggest that men check the fit of their jeans before leaving the store and use a mirror, because a lot of men are walking around in baggy jeans that make look like they have saggy butts or flat butts.
    Jeans don't have to be skintight, but they should at least be flattering and fit well. A man's back pockets should not be down by his knees.

12. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    There's some obvious stuff that guys don't seem to get. Socks in sandals, brown shoes on black pants, white socks with black shoes, tucking in a tshirt, that kind of thing just looks ridiculous.

Another thing I often see if Short Sleeve shirts with ties. If you don't work for a fast food restaurant, don't do this!

13. Frogurt

FrogurtMember

Threads:
    This is definitely my main strategy. I keep it simple and try my best to just avoid fashion trends. If anything, I will buy last seasons stuff because it is discounted. Skinny anything on me looks bad, so I tend to avoid it.

14. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I thought this style was long gone but it seems some males in L.A. enjoy wearing pants that sag and undies so tight that anyone can see a curvature. I saw it nearly a year ago with someone approaching middle age with a chubby belly and today I saw two young men with their business out for anyone to see. Not a crack but(t) cheeks.

I'd rather see an overweight guy wearing skinny jeans. cool-homer-listen-to-indie-rock.

15. BargainPhoenix

BargainPhoenixMember

Threads:
    Yes this is a peeve of mine with men's dress. White socks with dress shoes.

I am also not fond of the skinny pants trend with men. The worst has to be purposely showing the boxers by sagging them. Its such an eye sore. And the nerve to belt them around their butt.

16. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think all men.. and all women.. should wear whatever they want. Whatever they're comfortable in or feel good in. Whatever makes them happy and not at all what society says they should wear because we're supposed to all be the same person to live amongst each other. A person that clearly dresses fro himself is quite attractive.

17. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I generally think everybody, man and women alike, should at least look tidy when in public. No dirty clothes, and clean face and hair. Basically, just take care of yourself, I suppose.

Though, ladies LOVE when a guy is wearing a button down shirt and the roll up the sleeves.

mens-fashion-advice-how-to-choose-classic-white-shirt.
    Basically, everyone likes a well dressed man. :)

Attached Files:

#17Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2015
  18. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only thing I can add is to ensure you are clean and tidy. To me, it's not so much about what a person is wearing, just make sure it is clean. And make sure you are clean too!

19. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really care, actually. In casual situations, I never judge someone on what they wear. I do think colorful socks is awesome and that if you dress like a male icon, you probably look pretty cool. That being said -- I think comfort should not come second to style. I think a nice haircut and a good pair of shoes will make any simple outfit better. I have a thing for suspenders but that's me.

Also, I like guys who are not afraid to wear some colors!

20. MoneyMan

MoneyManMember

Threads:
    Shoes. Always make sure your shoes match your outfit. I cringe inside whenever I see the jeans and sneaker combo. Jeans always look swell with boots or casual shoes. NOT athletic shoes.