What Features do you Look For?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by kingusama92 • Apr 30, 2012.

1. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    When you are about to purchase a software program, what do you look for?

Are there specific things you look for in the program that are a must in order for you to be interested?

These could be things like...

* Direct competition with other similar products
    * Reviews given by other users

These are just some of the things.

2. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    With software, I always go to my brother first. Even if we are in different countries, I will phone him and get him to investigate as he is so clued up about these things. I am not. At all. So, I will ask him and he always comes through for me. Otherwise, I would read testimonials etc...but I go to my brother for assistance as he knows more about it than me.

It is not a very sophisticated way to do it, but it has worked out very well for me, thus far. :)

3. hanzuke50

hanzuke50Member

Threads:
    I tend to look for extra features that might come in handy. I'll also always try to find a cheap alternative, to make sure I'm not getting cheated, while sending an email to my uncle who knows a lot more than I do about computers in general. The cool thing is, my uncle normally has a lot of software serial keys lying around as he is a distributor and does personal setups for servers and PCs, so there might be a good chance that whatever software I'm looking for might have made it's way into his hands. Pretty sweet!

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's been awhile since I have purchased any software. There are a lot of open source programs on the Net that will duplicate or even exceed many paid software versions. Also, there are a lot of free utilities that will duplicate some aspects of many software programs.

5. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I haven't purchased any software for a while either. I also try to look for open source software or go on *cough* TPB *cough*. Reviews/comments are the first thing I look for the latter.

6. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    When I'm looking at software (which is typically free because I'm cheap) I look for how many resources it'll take up on my computer, the pricing if it has any, and user-reivews.

7. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I always read reviews and watch YouTube videos. Software can be a tricky item to buy because you never know if it's what you're looking for until you get home. That's why I do my research, and I don't think most stores allow you to return electronics and software. You have to be sure that you want to buy it, and it's compatible with your PC or Mac.

8. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    If I do need software, which is quite rare, I first look to the Internet where free products are offered by the companies providing their products. Afterwards, if that fails, I will look for the cheapest product possible to do the basic tasks. I think my Dell laptop has everything I need so I don't need to go overboard in terms of software products.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I just go with whatever is popular or whatever it is I am used to, or what I think I can get used to. Usually softwares will give trial periods to those who are interested and I usually just base my decision on that, as for the most. Part I can tell with the thirty days free if I'm going to like the software or not and if I'd be willing to pay for it. As for features I look for, I can't pinpoint anything specific but the software just has to feel right and I guess the most important part for me is that it doesn't slow down my computer.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I have very specific hobbies that operate only through the use of a computer or a laptop, so when I am looking for a laptop or a desktop computer they have to have certain features, for sure. They have to have an up to date sound card, because I make music with my computer, and need the best quality. I have also began to make movies recently, so I need a top notch graphics card in order to render the best quality. The other feature is that the computer has to be sold at a decent price.

11. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    I look for FREE when I go looking for any software. All this fuss about software, if you go to OSALT, you can always find a free open-source version that works just as well. But, there are certain services that you can't get for free.
    In those cases, I look at:

• Ease of Use: Whether it works well out of the box without a big learning curve.
    • User Reviews: Whether other people who have used the software recommend it.
    • Compatibility: Whether the software can fly on my system(s).
    • Connectivity: Whether it offers different options for connectivity.
    • Sync: Whether I can sync my data across devices and have the "Continuity" that I expect from a paid software.
    • Great Tech Support: Will I get non-head banging support when I need help.