What food should you NOT buy from a Farmer's Market?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by JoanMcWench • Aug 2, 2014.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I know that buying from a Farmer's Market is usually the best option but this can't be true for every food. I understand it should be straight from the source and closer to fresh. I also have a hard time with certain prices at the Market.

Is there a food you would not buy from a Farmer's Market? Why?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The food you'll get in farmer's markets is in most cases, fresh. And by the way I usually buy most of my food in such markets because I live in a small town, in an agricultural zone, so here, you can't help buying all [or most] of your food fresh from the markets. Maybe others who have had bad experiences can tell us what kind of food they can't buy at a farmer's market because I can't think of any.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't buy lettuce or cabbage from a farmer's market because they are cheap everywhere so it's not a real savings. Walmart actually has cheaper cabbage than my local farmer's market so not everything is a bargain. I like buying from the scratch and dent section of the farmer's market because if you happen to need some ripe bananas and plan to use them right away, you can get some ripe bananas with spotted skins 10 for $1. They also have onions, plantains and zucchini that don't have much life left, and if you plan to use them immediately you can get a package of onions for 69 cents.
    Sure you can't keep ripe produce sitting around for too long, but you can get some deals if you're prepared to cook it immediately.

4. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Interesting move concerning the cabbage and lettuce. Is it that the amount of money you're spending is more influential than the 'organic' nature of the food itself?

Denis I feel very similar about the ability to purchase almost anything there. For myself, the abundance of farmer's markets is sorely lacking. Not that there is not a movement in the right direction but it's too slow for my taste.