What grocery stores do you have and which have the best prices?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by justusforus • Oct 20, 2013.

1. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    Most towns have a least one or two grocery stores. In my small town we have Albertsons, Vons, Fresh and Easy and there is a Ralphs not too far away. Of them, Ralphs and Von's are the most expensive. Albertsons and Fresh and Easy are more economical. I find the selection acceptable at all of them, my favorite being Fresh and Easy due to easy parking, friendly staff, specials and the "Friends" club with online coupons and cash back.

Which do you have and how would you rate them on price, selection and other factors?

2. jcairns82

jcairns82Member

Threads:
    In Canada, it all depends on what province that you're in.

Ontario, you've got Longo's, Costco, Loblaws, Sobey's, and a ton of others. They each have their pros and cons. Costco requires membership, but you can get a ton of discounts. Sobey's tends to have lots of deals, but the food product isn't as good. Longo's has excellent produce. Loblaws gets you great reward points.

3. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In California, I would say Walmart, Target and Costco are the more affordable ones. There is also Grocery Outlet where I lived that was pretty cheap, but as an outlet, not that many options and brands.
    Trader Joe's is a bit more expensive, but they have some stuff you can't find anywhere else. It's way more affordable than Whole Foods too, so to me it's the best cost effective supermarket.

4. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    The cheapest grocery stores in my area in Jamaica are Hi-Lo Food Stores, Mega Mart, and Shoppers Fair. If you sign up for a membership card at either Mega Mart or Hi-Lo Food Stores, and use them along with coupons from the Thursday and Sunday newspapers, then you get even more savings.

5. Joe D.

Joe D.New Member

Threads:
    I have lived in several different regions and the grocery stores vary. Wherever you are, you can save money by getting staples at a Wal-Mart or Target Superstore, but if you want some specialty items - or even some important basics for recipes, you have to go to other stores. In Chicago I always liked Jewel and Cub Foods. Around Tallahassee, the best place is Food Lion. In Colorado, you have King Sooper's and Safeway - and for very high-end items go to Sprout's. My all-time favorite, though, was in the St. Louis area: Schnuck's Supermarkets.

6. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to shop at Wal-mart. Wal-mart usually carries all my everyday needs, with affordable prices as well. Wal-Mart is also one of those stores that are versatile in every section. There's almost nothing that is not sold at Wal-Mart. I think one of the only reasons I continue to shop at Wal-Mart is because of their everyday low prices. Wal-Mart also has very convenient locations. They're almost everywhere.

7. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    I'm in upstate NY and I have in 15 miles of me, a Hannaford, a Price Chopper, an Aldi's and a Shoprite. Shoprite and Price Chopper are more competitive with their low prices. And they double coupons!

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I live in Southern California and we have many grocery stores. Ralphs, Vons, Albertsons, Trader Joe's, Fresh and Easy, Sprouts and Whole Foods. There are a few other chains. My two main stores are Trader Joe's and Sprouts. I really don't find them any more expensive than the traditional stores.

9. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I usually go to grocery stores that are close to where I live and work. I would say Safeway and Wal-Mart sometimes offer best prices. They have a lot of things on sale, which depends on the day of the week. I usually go to Wal-Mart for the reasonable price. I would go to Safeway for work supplies such as paper towels, toilet papers, bleach, and hand soaps.

10. dreamseer

dreamseerMember

Threads:
    In our small town, we only have a few choices for groceries. Of course there's Wal-Mart, Kroger, Save-a-Lot, and Piggly Wiggly. Of all of these Wal-Mart is the cheapest, but Piggly Wiggly has the best quality meat selection. A lot of their meat and produce is from local Amish farms. So I shop at the "Pig" for those items and Wal-Mart for everything else.:)

11. Shana

ShanaMember

Threads:
    I think in my area Walmart is the cheapest but I refuse to go to Walmart so I just go to the Safeway. There is a Bel Air nearby as well but they are much more pricey. I generally buy wine there however because they always run a buy 6 get 30& off all of them which is great!

12. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

I have the commissary walmart and aldis. Nothing compares when it comes to the commissary prices. I love going there because the prices are very low I can get two packs of boneless chicken for about 6 bucks to where walmart only one is 10 bucks.

13. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    We have a Whole Foods, safeway, Target, Walmart, and I'm sure more that I haven't found just yet. Lots of farmers markets and food co ops and other options, too.

14. ISUTracyG

ISUTracyGNew Member

Threads:
    We have Reasor's, WalMart, Super Target, Save A Lot, Aldi, and a few natural grocers here in Tulsa. Reasor's is my favorite because it's a locally owned chain and they really have kept that neighborhood grocery type customer service mentality. One of the few places that still has drive up to get your groceries.

15. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I love that there are still Piggly Wiggly stores. I never saw or shopped one, but remember the name from "Driving Miss Daisy". I had heard it was sort of an institution and with your testament to the meat, they must be doing quite a bit right.

16. MizzDeeDee

MizzDeeDeeMember

Threads:
    We don't have many stores in town. We have Food Lion, and a place called Food Depot. Food Depot is pretty gross. One of the Food Lion stores is great, the other is not. Walmart is about 30 minutes away. They probably have the best prices. I know some people have an issue with getting groceries there, but I can always get low prices. I also can get bulk items too. I really prefer Walmart if I can take the drive.

17. starla101

starla101New Member

Threads:
    I live in NYC and have a wide variety of grocery stores within walking distance of my apartment. I live near a Pathmark which is super cheap, but I hate how crowded it gets and the lines are always long. In recent years, I'm doing most of my shopping at an Associated grocery store. They don't have as many options as the Pathmark and the store is smaller, but I can almost always find something similar to what I need in a pinch.

18. Treadlight

TreadlightMember

Threads:
    Out here we have Fry's (Kroger), Albertson's and Safeway. We have Wal-Mart of course, but I don't go there unless I have to. Like if it's 2 in the morning. Fry's usually has the best deals and their coupon matching is pretty good. Albertsons has better deals sometimes, but if I can do the coupon matching at Fry's, I do.

19. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I believe Walmart is the one with the most affordable prices. Target is not bad as well. As for cost/benefit I prefer Trader Joe's, cause their stuff is higher priced but the quality is good, specially for frozen foods!

20. dejongkimberlee

dejongkimberleeNew Member

Threads:
    In my city we have Meijer, Costco, Sams Club, Kroger, Scotts, and Walmart. The cheapest out of them all would be walmart but I don't like shopping there. If you are planning on buying bulk then you would go to costco or sams club. I do the majority of my grocery shopping at Meijers.