What if diet and exercise alone are not working for weight loss?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Susie • Nov 29, 2012.

1. Susie

SusieNew Member

Threads:
    Does anyone have recommendations in addition to eating a healthy, low-fat diet and walking for exercise for an hour per day in order to lose weight? I have tried taking green tea capsules to attempt to boost my metabolism, but am curious if there is more that I can do that would be safe.

2. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A low-fat diet is the reason so many are fat and sick. Fat is essential, we need it for a multitude of metabolic functions and for the health of our brain (our brain consists of fatty acids).

My advice would be to cut the carbohydrates, not the natural fats like pastured dairy, pastured animal fat, avocado and coconut. Carb restriction is the key to weight loss.

3. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    Perhaps you should try different exercises or weight loss programs. Walking for an hour may be a great activity, but it certainly doesn't do the same thing as doing cardio training, weight training, etc. for an hour. Perhaps your one-hour walk is just not enough. Remember that you need to burn more than what you intake in order for your body to start losing weight. Also, you want to build and tone your muscles - muscles will regularly burn more calories so we want to keep them. Just because you have a low-fat diet doesn't mean it's healthy; like Bolt said, fat is essential to our diet.

4. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would like to know the same i seen this pills called trim something and they suppose to be good for the belly only to give you a flatter stomach which is what i am looking to do but i am not sure i don't like taking pills and i'm kinda nervous about using something like that cause i never have.

5. untitled

untitledMember

Threads:
    This is sound advice. Seriously if you want to lose weight effectively your gonna want to cut carbs, not completely out of your diet but limiting them would be the key factor to weightloss.

6. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    I have to say I believe weight losss is a combination, exercise and diet. Also watch what you are eating.
    I also think walking an hour a day is a good level of activity. At least by my standard. Sure that won't make a person Clarence Bass or George St. Pierre but for many, that is a good level.
    Of course weight loss can be accomplished without the activity but this is not getting fit, it is just losing weight. And for some that might be the goal by itself.
    Ryder13

7. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    Taking a daily vitamin would also be a good idea to make sure that you are getting all of the nutrients that your body needs. If your body is deficient on any nutrients you are starving your body of what it really needs. Perhaps you could try something a little more intense than just walking, if your body is able to handle it. You said that you tried taking a greens formula. Have you tried it for long enough? Sometimes your body needs a month or even longer to adjust.

8. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    If your results have stalled you may need to adjust your workout routine. Many times our bodies adapt to our routines and our progression stalls. Try switching up your workout routine for a couple weeks and then change again. Repeat. Inside of cardio, try a combination of cardio and strength training.

9. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with most suggestions here... Cut the carbs.. the simple carbs like rice, wheat, pasta, etc.. consume high fiber micro-nutrient rich fruits and veggies instead. Resort to intermittent fasting, speed up your cardio routines.. mix it up all the time.. so the body will not settle into a rhythm. Proteins are more filling and take time to digest so eat up your proteins.

10. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Wouldn't running be a better form of exercise than walking? I don't expect you to run for an hour but you could start by easing into it. When I used to do 10k races I wrote an article on how to go from nothing to running a 10k race within six weeks, I'll have to dig it out. :)

11. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    I agree. If you are taking 1 mile walks, your body may soon get used to it. While it may be soothing and relaxing to get into a rhythm, you will probably not lose weight. I think that deansaliba is right - you should ease into running (or any other similar activity that would burn more calories than walking). As long as your eat healthy, you'll have to focus on your calorie burning if you want to make a difference. You can start carrying small weights while you walk or try power walking. You can jog slowly, too.

No matter what, you should be careful about having high quality shoes if walking is your main source of activity. I would also recommend bringing along a bottle of water (which could act as a makeshift "weight" for you to carry). Listening to music may help quicken the pace, too. There are lots of sites and lists on the internet with good playlists - designed so the beats per minute in the songs slowly increase (so you walk faster to "keep up" with the music), then slow down again (during a cool-down).

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'd recommend push ups to the mix. I work it in whenever I get a few minutes free throughout the day and it really accumulates when you do that and it really helps. Not to mention that it practically is an all around work out (although not really a full substitute to lifting weights). As for diet, I'm not really a big fan of counting calories, for me it is better to just satisfy your cravings and eat what you want whenever you want just as long as it is correctly portioned. Good luck!

13. dhrynio

dhrynioMember

Threads:
    This is the best advice you are going to get. I would look into changing to a Paleo or Primal eating style. And if you really want to jump start cutting out the junk I recommend a

14. ami560

ami560Member

Threads:
    I have to agree with the advice on your intake of fats. Fats contain much more energy per gram then carbohydrates do, so you feel full when you eat them. If you eat a normal amount everyday but cut down on unnecessary and refined carbohydrates, then you should see improvement. In addition, if you want to boost your metabolism, then you need to exercise more vigorously. Walking is good, and quite healthy, but try to start power walking or even jogging. Also, it would be beneficial to start a weight lifting regimen, as this builds muscle which drastically increases metabolic rates. Finally, you should, at a max, only be losing 1-2 pounds per week, and that is if you work out more. As it is, you will lose weight, but very slowly, maybe 0.2 - 0.5 lbs a week, unless you increase you workout.

15. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I'm really surprised that walking for an hour a day is not resulting in any weight loss. I suppose, as someone said here, that they body could get use to it and therefore not give you any weight loss results.

One thing that worked for me when I started a walking regimen a few years ago was that I changed my routine from walking on a track at a school, and started walking on the sidewalk. Sometimes I would walk for 2 hours around a track at a local school, but the track was (is) kind of bouncy. It felt like I was not getting enough support under my feet or something. The track almost made me feel like the material I was walking on made my walking too easy, and therefore ineffective.

I feel that running on that type of surface is ok, but walking on it was not giving me the results that I wanted.

When I started walking on concrete, that is when I felt my legs getting firmer, felt everything tightening up. I guess it is due to the hard surface under your feet when walking on concrete. Makes the walk more productive IMO.

If you're walking on a treadmill, I would say that if you up the incline, you will see results.

16. jayjacinto

jayjacintoMember

Threads:
    Try to lessen the carb intake but do not totally remove it..

17. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Prevention "Walk Off Weight" has a chart on how to get the results you desire just by walking. I had been walking an hour a day and not seeing the desired results, the book states you have to gradually increase the time and distance of your walk to see results of increased weight lose. I started walking 6 miles a day and lost 10.lb. I still need to lose 15lbs. and don't want to gain during the holidays so I will keep walking.

18. jayjacinto

jayjacintoMember

Threads:
    Walking is good as long as you do not overdo it, as an over-stressed muscle is not good as well..

19. PubD

PubDMember

Threads:
    You might want to mix up walking with other exercises. Limiting carbs is also good advice. Studies have shown Rosemary to limit the weight-gain associated with eating fat in your diet, so that might be a supplement that might work for you. (

). Spirulina, aside from being practically a full multivitamin on its own, is said to keep you from over-eating if you take a capsule an hour before each meal.

20. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    Well Dr. Oz has done entire shows on two different supplements. One is the popular green coffee bean extract and the other is garcinia cambogia. He says both are safe and act an an appetite suppressant but also speeds up your metabolism. Both require you to take a pill 30 minutes before you eat. However, any of the pills using Dr. Oz to sell the product is just a marketing ploy. He does not endorse any specific brands. So I would stay away from that. But I find garcinia cambogia is much more affordable than green coffee bean extract.