What Is More Powerful?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Clairelouise84 • Apr 21, 2015.

1. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84Member

Threads:
    What is more powerful, a compliment or a complaint? On a personal level I am more likely to be nicer to you or work better if you pay me a compliment rather than complain at me. But when it comes to business do you think a complaint gets more attention than a compliment? I know a complaint highlights a problem, but have you ever seen someone tell a manager how good a staff member has been and does anything happen after they are told this or is it ignored?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    On a spiritual level a compliment does so much more and not enough praise is given. When I used to manage I would always try to encourage and praise staff whenever I could so they would feel appreciated and also they would help me out when needed. It worked both ways, if I knew they felt appreciated I knew they wouldn't call in sick or pull a fast one.

Complaints are not always warranted; often they are from people have too much time on their hands or have unrealistic expectations. There are complaints that need to be brought up, but that is a failure in a company to see their failings. I think once I was told I was not smiling enough and someone who I hadn't served complained. They expected all staff to be smiling in the store all the time.

3. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that a compliment means more, in terms of customer service. People are quick to complain about every little thing (and @Theo@Theo is right, it's not always warranted!) yet never make it known when they have received good service.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think each is powerful in different ways, and it depends on the circumstances. It seems there are many people these days who complain in the hope of receiving some benefit, such as discount coupons, refunds, free samples, and the like. I don't consider those to weigh as heavily as genuine complaints, which can be very helpful to a business, because they can lead to needed improvements. Compliments to an individual can make the person feel good, but if it's an employee performing well, I think it's important to follow up, and let the company know about the person's performance, so it will go on his/her record, and potentially lead to a monetary reward, or promotion, if they receive enough positive feedback.

I shop at Kroger quite a bit, and, although it seems corny, they have a bell at each register that states to ring it if you've received exceptional service. I do ring it when I feel it's deserved, even though everyone looks around as if an ice cream truck has just pulled into the store, because I want management to know that I'm pleased with the service I've received.

5. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84Member

Threads:
    I agree, some people have very unrealistic expectations of customer service and what to expect from a store. Wow! really? That is ridiculous, were you supposed to walk around smiling all the time, every day? That is a good management strategy that you had, making people feel appreciated is a great way to get the best out of them.

It definitely means more and I think it is very unfair when people do not make a point of highlighting good service. I will always thank someone and let their manager know if someone goes above and beyond to help me.

#5Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2015
  6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think also how people approach a genuine complaint makes a difference. I help organize a major show in the UK and the amount of people who come in to complain about things to get free tickets or parking is ridiculous.

If people came in to ask we give, if they come in ranting and expecting we let them suffer and wait and maybe then give them what they asked for. It's about respect and people seem to have lost of for one another.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Complaints tend to offend people most of the time. If someone complains about getting poor service from a certain employee, depending on how the boss confronts them, the best they can do is deliver only what is expected of them in future. But that at times isn't good enough.

With compliments however, that person can do more for you in future because you at least appreciate what they do for you. Not everyone will but most people normally respond positively to compliments.

8. Darakath

DarakathMember

Threads:
    If I work at a company, I would notice complaints more, but look at the compliments first. There are good complaints, the ones that are not by people that expect too much of you and are just pointing out something legitimately wrong. On the other hand, compliments improve your work ethic by far, and make you want to do your job well.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A complaint for sure! Whenever we are looking for reviews online, there may be several good ones, but only one bad review can easily ruin your opinion on the company! I think complaints are powerful and they should be... some companies are abusive and need to be reported accordingly.

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Compliments that are honest and come from the heart go a very long way. Not just do they make a person feel rally appreciated, but they also create energy and space for new possibilities. Complaining is something that drains you quickly. Nobody likes to be criticized.

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Complaints get rewarded, but I still give compliments.
    One example of a complaint being rewarded is when a guy ahead of me in line at Taco Bell complained and yelled about how the tortillas tasted stale and his party was ruined. They gave him his entire $21 food order for free and apologized profusely. It seemed like they kept bringing out more stuff for him.

I've never gotten free anything but I give compliments when I get good service and compliments don't have the power that complaints do. Companies are very worried about their image and retaining customers.

12. Jannnnjan

JannnnjanActive Member

Threads:
    It all boils down to what you feel is fair at the end of the day. If you have really received bad service that has annoyed you it is better to make your complaint known. However, I would going go down the route of saying you were disappointed with the service and that you expected better rather than ranting. A disappointed approach gives the impression that you are making an overall thought out judgement on the service rather than a hot headed response and could get more attention.
    The same fairness applies to compliments. If a business deserves a compliment. Tell them. Good service should be rewarded.

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I get frustrated when I go out to eat with some other people, who are constantly negative about everything - they kind of ruin the whole meal from the get go, because they enter in the place looking for things to complain about the whole time, as if they are already trying to build a case for themselves not leaving a tip.

I don't complain unless there is seriously something bad with the service I've received. For example, I brought my car in to get some speakers and amplifiers installed in it, and when I got it back the clear plastic panel over my dashboard was cracked - so obviously I complained about that (not to mention the nerve of them giving me the keys back to my car, as if I wouldn't notice that and just drive off). I made them replace it and eat the cost, it was their mistake.

Another instance, my family ordered an infomercial product, this manual food processor. Somehow the company accidentally lost our order, and when we called to inquire why it was never shipped to us, they made good by not only shipping us the unit with express shipping, but they sent a second one free of charge too.

But for stuff like a cashier moving a little too slow, or a server getting overwhelmed and backed up, it really has to be bad before I say something about it and complain to management. If anything I make sure I thank them and smile even if they are backed up and not giving the most spectacular service. I know from working as a server myself, I would dread going to those tables who I knew were foaming at the mouth with complaints, but I would be more inclined to check in on the tables of folks who were more easy going and understanding.

14. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that it depends on whether the recipient of the complaint or compliment is a glass half full, or a glass half empty kind of person. Perception is everything.

To put myself in the situation, I think that they would be be effective, to a certain degree. I often find that it is not what is happening, but how it is happening. So if someone complains to me, and speaks to me like I am a piece of rubbish, then I'm not likely to do what they want me to, or be encouraged.