What is something you never skimp on?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Oakster • Mar 25, 2014.

1. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    For me it's footwear, a nice shoe makes a huge difference to how I feel throughout the day.
    Not to mention that a good quality shoe lasts longer than a cheap pair, it's often more cost-effective to buy the pair that costs twice as much since it lasts three times longer...

In what other items is it important to buy high-quality?

2. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Good question, I can't name a specific product, but the first thing that pops into my head is quality food, schools and doctors for my kids. Parents always do everything for their kids and I am not exception, I might cut on stuff for me, but not for them.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't skimp on pet food because if I buy the cheapest dog or cat food, my animals don't eat it at all. I also don't buy the cheapest dishwashing or laundry detergent because if you get the very cheapest dollar store detergents, they don't form suds. With some dollar store dish detergent, you have to pour out almost the entire bottle just to get some lather going. It's worth it to at least spend $2 for a decent bottle of dish soap. Ajax makes a big bottle for $1.89 that lasts me a while.

4. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    Sleep ;) haha, but other than that I would say I don't skimp on my food. I always make sure to buy the healthier more organic foods. I try to avoid foods with a lot of chemicals. Something about eating all those chemicals doesn't seem natural at all to me!

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would never skimp on buying branded electronic items, because it would be such a waste buying a cheap counterpart version because I know that it's not as durable. I also would not skimp on buying at least a pair of quality shoes so that I have a durable pair that I can rely on.

6. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't skimp on my car because it was really expensive for my pocket and I am expecting it to last long years, so I invest on it every in the service so that I can pick up early any issue that it might have and fix it. Let's see if it can make long, long miles. :)

7. Qualitycontent

QualitycontentMember

Threads:
    I have to agree with you on footwear. My feet are shaped weird. I have a narrow heal, and wide like a ducks feet at the other end. Plus, I have a high arch on my feet. I can't skimp on footwear. I may not have the most stylish shoes although I try, but I have to buy shoes that are comfortable. There is no choice in this matter. Who can tolerate aching feet all day at work?

8. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    That's a good answer as well, especially if you spend a lot of time daily in your car.
    I think there's a saying about not skimping on things that separate you from the ground: shoes, tires and mattresses.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I try to save money on anything I wear, getting the best quality possible for the amount I'm willing to pay. However I never skimp on makeup products. My skin is quite sensitive and allergic, so I don't economize on great quality makeup. I tend to buy on department stores, specially if it's face products (foundation, concealer, powder). The only item I will usually get from the drugstore is mascara, just because I don't think it makes a huge difference to buy the cheaper ones.

10. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I have skimped on almost everything I can think of, honestly. Sometimes regretting it -- buying cheap headphone sets and webcam, buying cheap wool, buying cheap socks, buying cheap condoms, buying cheap a lot of things! But sometimes I think, ah, why the heck not, might as well give it a shot. Like female pads for having a period -- I was always not going for the cheaper ones, because I did not want any bad surprises. But then I did try cheap stuff to test it for days at home and it was perfectly fine.

I guess one thing I would not bother to buy cheap is a pregnancy test. Saw some at the dollar store. Would not trust the result either way, so I don't see why I'd buy it for one buck and then buy a new one!

11. Happy247

Happy247Member

Threads:
    One thing that I can't skimp on is food. I tried using the coupons and buying only what was on sale and that didn't go over too well with my family. The whole point of doing that in the first place is to save money but in the end I had to throw the food away. And I wasn't mad at them for not eating it because it was awful. I've learned my lesson. I will never use a coupon unless it's for a brand that we normally would buy.

12. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    Running shoes. I have a specific brand and specific model that I buy over and over. They work best for knee support (which I need) and I figure if I am out there exercising to improve my body, why would I want to skimp on equipment which could possibly do more harm and cost me a lot more money (in doctor bills) in the long run!

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Colognes - I cannot stand any of the dollar store varieties and knock-offs. Plus, most of what the dollar stores sell as knock offs are only the most commonly worn colognes, and are fragrances I would normally avoid anyhow since they are too overused.

Clothing - I stick to the brands I like because they fit me well and are durable. Often the cheaper brands use flimsier fabrics which don't hold up well to washing, and they are not cut right to fit me well. I'm not really saving any money by buying cheaper brands if the clothing is going to become unwearable after a couple washes.

Headphones - I'm a diehard Shure fan ever since I picked up my first pair of them in 2007. I won't bother with any other brand, they're that good. Totally worth the cost.

14. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will skimp on anything if I see fit to, at the time lol. But things that I most likely would not skimp on would be the bigger more frequently used items, such as vehicles and things like that? The more frequently I use something, the better quality I feel it should be, hence the more money spent on it.

15. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I have money, I try to buy good quality things all round; from clothes to food through to electronics. The only things I don't really mind buying lesser quality of is cleaning materials. But I do agree with good quality shoes, a classy blazer, a good quality bag and food. They all rank vey high on my list of thing not to scrimp on. No matter how broke, or how small my food shopping; this is an area I really don't want to compromise on.

16. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Only one brand of shoes is comfortable for me. Reebok's have the best arch support, or at least the best for me. If I have to cut costs on something else to get a pair then I'll do that. I have other shoes, but none feel as good or work as well. I'm very disappointed that they changed the design (and materials used) of the style I always chose. Now, I'm trying to find a different type of Reebok that will work as well for me. I'd rather pay them a little bit more and have them go back to the original.

17. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I think you should never skimp on food, specially nutritious food. Always go for the healthier ones even though they are more expensive than fast food and junk food. :)

Also, you should always find time to treat yourself into travelling once in a while. Life is too short to be wasted at one place only. Explore around, and meet new people. ;)

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy cheap art supplies because if you cheap out on art supplies, you end up with markers that skip, paper that buckles and paint that separates. To make good art, you need good quality art supplies.

19. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    A car is a good one.

Also I've started not to skimp on coffee and wine. After a certain amount of time I just can't tolerate the cheap stuff anymore!

I also don't skimp on men's leather bags, wallets or briefcases. They use those things for years and it make an impression depending what they're carrying.

I don't skimp on laundry detergent either, to me Tide is the best, especially for kid stains!

20. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    My cellular phone is something I am willing to spend a a lot of money on. I use it for work and play and feel a $700 phone is completely worth it for me. I love that my phone is a GPS, state of the art camera, and connection to the world. In fact, I don't stop at one nice phone per year, I tend to get over five or six a year.