What is the Best Find You've Ever Gotten from a Thrift Store or a Consignment Shop? The Worst?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by tangela • Jul 27, 2014.

1. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't get into thrift store shopping until maybe my sophomore year in college because I used to think you'd never be able to find good stuff in there, or majority of the items in the thrift shop were broken or ripped. But my then roommate and friend introduced me to thrift store shopping and I honestly have so much fun looking for stuff; plus it's a great way to kill some time if you're waiting for someone or wanting to pass the time!

I once found this jacket in the thrift store local to me and it was probably only $5, but it was super nice quality and perfect for Spring/Fall season. I think, by far, that's probably my favorite and best find in any thrift shop or consignment store.

Got any good or bad stories you'd like to share with consignment stores or thrift store shopping?

2. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I was shopping for a jacket and pant suit for my son. He needed a certain color of jacket and a certain style because it was for a play he was in at the time. So, we went to many thrift stores until we found one that fit, was the right color, and the correct style. It was not easy! However as he was trying it on, he found $40 in the jacket pocket. Needless to say, the suit paid for itself!

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This isn't quite a find because I passed it up, but it could have been a find if I'd grabbed it.
    I saw a Kill Bill poster framed in glass at Goodwill for $5. It was an unusual Kill Bill poster, not the usual pose from the DVD cover but a closeup of the sword. I was too lazy to go home and get the money.
    Later I found out that the poster of the sword was a rare theatrical poster worth $40, and the glass and wood frame was worth another $30. Someone got a nice piece of movie art for only $5.

4. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I once bought a Little Black Dress at a thrift store for $7. It's been 10 years now and that dress, although overused, still looks new. The fabric is great! I use it all the time in different occasions, and I just modify it a bit by putting a shawl or a scarf or things like that. Yet, even though it's really used too much, it remains to look fabulous. It's really a great great buy.

Sometimes, there are great things to find at thrift stores, you just have to really look carefully through the items.

5. Danii

DaniiMember

Threads:
    I got very lucky with this one particular thrift store. It was on my way back home from work so I could go in each time they got new stuff and browse.

The woman who put the clothes on the hangers had no idea what brands are. I think she probably only knew of D&G and Versace or something. Anyway, everything in the store was for the price of $2. I got a great Anna Sui pattern velvet jacket, a Karl Lagerfelt for H&M office jacket, a vintage Escada coat and many others.

6. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I don't thrift shop very often. When I do its usually when I'm with my mother. I've had numerous ocassions where I've stumbled upon unexpectedly great finds. The best I've probably found are basically brand new clothes for a couple of bucks. Under Armour, Ralph Lauren are just a couple of the brands I've found.

7. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    I love shopping at thrift stores and have gotten some great finds. One was 10 dollars in the pockets of a pair of jeans I bought for 2.50. I also found a Coco Chanel purse in perfect condition for 1.50 at the Salvation Army store and a brand new Guess purse at another for 2 bucks. I don't think I've ever had a bad experience at a thrift store.

8. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    We love to visit thrift stores. The best find was actually my husband's, he found a Versace suit for $10, then turned around and sold it on eBay for $80. That was a good 10 years ago though. Nowadays I find a lot of great children's clothes that are barely worn, and sometimes the tags are still on them, all for around $1.50 a piece.

9. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You won't believe it if I tell you guys I was able to buy three Victoria Holt novels for less than a dollar at a Chinese-operated thrift store in our locality. I couldn't believe it myself. I used to frequent that thrift store and buy several overly cheap second-hand books when I was still working for the government. Now that I'm working for a private firm, it would take me an hour or more to get there so I haven't been there in a while.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I once got a suede jacket brand new with the ticket still on it for less than $15. Recently purchased a $125 London Fog all weather coat brand new for $15. You can get some good items if you look. I have also gotten new items to resell on Ebay for a few dollars.

11. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I found a pencil skirt at the Salvation Army thrift store once that was missing the price tag. When I asked the clerk how much it was she said it was $2 since the tag was missing. The skirt was a business woman's type style and looked new. It probably would have been over $50 new I'm guessing. I felt so confident in that skirt, had it for years and no one would ever have known I never could have afforded to buy something like that anywhere else.

12. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I love visiting thrift stores. We call them "ukay-ukay" here. I love getting really cheap designer clothes from thrift stores. Once, I got H&M, Bershka, and UNIQLO clothes from a single thrift store. My officemates were surprised because they didn't know that you can get branded clothes in such a place. What's more, even though they have been previously used, they still look great. No frayed edges or weird smell whatsoever.

13. barkingsquirrel

barkingsquirrelMember

Threads:
    By far, my best find was a pair of leopard print boots for $3 that I turned around and resold on Ebay for $75. I was shopping for cleats for my son at Salvation Army because they can be so darn expensive for such a short playing season. I didn't find the cleats there, but these boots more than paid for them :) Worst find? I never have a worst find when I'm shopping at the thrifts - I love it!

#13May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015